Takers of Feather

Hello folks, I was just wondering how many of you own a lurcher that takes feather and any of you consider it when purchasing or breeding a litter. Had my old bitch and her 6 month old daughter out today, the old bitch had 2 pheasant and a rabbit and the pup gripped a cock bird but didn't hold it due to its flapping,it didn't put her off as she tried for a couple more. The old bitch has also had woodcock in the lamp. Would be interested in your views, cheers for reading.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You say "leave the hares for you guys"; Well, I'd far rather course a daytime hare, than any other field sport... BUT, I was invited, a couple of years ago to shoot goose on the 1st of sept. I enjoyed

Sorry lads been feeding dogs, ferrets and hanging my pheasants. I see this thread has rattled a few people especially labtastic. Lets get a few things straight I'm not some arsehole with an unruly do

IMHO a lurcher takeing a pheasant in mid air is one of the finest sights you can witness a lurcher doing.

Posted Images

Hello folks, I was just wondering how many of you own a lurcher that takes feather and any of you consider it when purchasing or breeding a litter. Had my old bitch and her 6 month old daughter out today, the old bitch had 2 pheasant and a rabbit and the pup gripped a cock bird but didn't hold it due to its flapping,it didn't put her off as she tried for a couple more. The old bitch has also had woodcock in the lamp. Would be interested in your views, cheers for reading.

Brilliant.................how many birds you putting down compared to your catch rate??????...... :hmm:

both my two lurcher dogs will, and have taken feather sometimes in spectacular fashion, a few weeks ago there was a large flock of rooks on a set barley field, normally they wouldnt bother as the know they carnt catch them, but both dogs ran at one particular rook in amongst the flock, turned out it couldnt fly how the knew is beyond me. the old bitch wont mouth any feather unless its dead she will even nudge them to make them take flight.

post-896-0-26960600-1320600505_thumb.jpg

post-896-0-14332700-1320600609_thumb.jpg

Brilliant.................how many birds you putting down compared to your catch rate??????...... :hmm:

FFS lab how many birds get shot after the season finishes as they are surplus to requirements?? :hmm: fur, feather or fin is all fair game to a poacher mate and if you dont like it, then dont come in the lurcher section :whistling: :whistling: :thumbs:

• Like 1

FFS lab how many birds get shot after the season finishes as they are surplus to requirements?? :hmm: fur, feather or fin is all fair game to a poacher mate and if you dont like it, then dont come in the lurcher section :whistling: :whistling: :thumbs:

f**k off............you know nothing about Spars and were very near the middle of the season aren't we???? I shall visit here whenever i feel like it......ok!!........ :D:thumbs:

I don't put birds down mate,its just birds that have drifted in so catch rates don't apply but she gets her fair share.

f**k off............you know nothing about Spars and were very near the middle of the season aren't we???? I shall visit here whenever i feel like it......ok!!........ :D:thumbs:

you never answered my first question tho and spars were not mentioned in this thread :blink::whistling::D and your free to visit this section as much as i am the keeping section, just i know more about both :tongue2::victory:

Ya mine kill loads, as soon as i open the door to the pheasant pen theres Muuurrrders....

All jokes aside mine arent great bird takers but do get the odd few a year, My bitch in perticual is very handy land/water retreiver of feather and fur for that matter when out with airifle

Edited by tiny 7
  • Like 2

My deer X bitch has had crow, pigeon and pheasant. She just seems a natural for them. And Lab... before you have a go at me ! LOL ! My other lurcher bitch is welcome on my local shoot, as she beats, retrieves runners and picks up ! But walking about local, where the birds are wild, I don't mind my dogs picking up my dinner for me !

Cheers.

My deer X bitch has had crow, pigeon and pheasant. She just seems a natural for them. And Lab... before you have a go at me ! LOL ! My other lurcher bitch is welcome on my local shoot, as she beats, retrieves runners and picks up ! But walking about local, where the birds are wild, I don't mind my dogs picking up my dinner for me !

Cheers.

tell you what then mate go tell the keeper you've been catching pheasants all around the shoot... Not on it but just around it... See how welcome you are then..... Lol

my dog takes feather also,i like to see her take them in mid air as there taking off,i also take her shooting an she retrieves pigeon although it takes her a while to get rid of the feathers out her mouth.i think its good to see them take different things

IMHO a lurcher takeing a pheasant in mid air is one of the finest sights you can witness a lurcher doing.
  • Like 3

Never really owned feather takers, the most proficient feather dog i have owned was one of my shepherds, he would mark them in cover and nab them..............

Lab, take two paracetamol and have a lie down if your gonna read this thread............