Who burns what?

Artic, coal is the way to keep your stove going for longer I'm told ............. Is there a reason you don't want to use coal? I try not to use much, have spent loads of time over the summer stealing and chopping logs so prefer to use those hahaha

I use Excel smokeless ovals, am paying £10 for 25Kg at the minute but need to find a coal man to deliver in bulk then hopefully the price will come down.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i burn tenners in mine,well it f*****g feels like that greedy scottish power lol wish i had a log fire

"During the war .........................."                                                                                         Gonetoearth sitting wa

I hear you are using bridges? lol

Posted Images

Artic, coal is the way to keep your stove going for longer I'm told ............. Is there a reason you don't want to use coal? I try not to use much, have spent loads of time over the summer stealing and chopping logs so prefer to use those hahaha

I use Excel smokeless ovals, am paying £10 for 25Kg at the minute but need to find a coal man to deliver in bulk then hopefully the price will come down.

SS, this is my first stove, I've looked on other sites about this. Most say never to use House coal and wood together in stoves as it clogs up the flu/chimney breast, and staines the glass, although I have the airwash on my stove and does a good job. I do clean any staines with the ash itself with newspaper, works a treat. Smokeless is the way to go in stoves.

I was looking at those Excel bags today, I will have to see if I can get them a little cheaper!

House coal should never be used, it burns too dirty and clogs them up. Smokeless fuels should be used , preferably ones with very little petroleum content . . . . . . to avoid the build up of sulphur deposits, which corrodes stoves flue's and liners. Good dry seasoned wood is by far the best option for stoves, and cheapest if you use your stove correctly. :victory:

we burn turf here. its free any amount of it and has great heat.

the only draw back is too much ash.

j,

How does that work? Is it as simple as it sounds?

sure is ss. you cut your turf in the summer, should be dry in two weeks, and bring it home.

we cut enough in one go to last two years. theirs a small amount of work to do,but not much.

Have just been reading about it through google, that's well interesting.

Did you not use logs or coal too or just peat/turf?

I'm just off out to dig up my neighbours garden while it's dark! :laugh:

just turf ss. logs and coal is expensive. talked to a mate last night he paid 1200 for a load of 10 foot logs.

about 30 ton.500kg of coal would be around 205 euro. it pays to burn just turf and we wont run out of it either.

j.

Edited by jetro

j,

sure is ss. you cut your turf in the summer, should be dry in two weeks, and bring it home.

we cut enough in one go to last two years. theirs a small amount of work to do,but not much.

just turf ss. logs and coal is expensive. talked to a mate last night he paid 1200 for a load of 10 foot logs.

about 30 ton.500kg of coal would be around 205 euro. it pays to burn just turf and we wont run out of it either.

j.

Sounds like other types of fuel are well expensive there then!!

Am going to buy a couple of bags of peat to try, just so I know what you're talking about :thumbs:

j,

j.

Am going to buy a couple of bags of peat to try, just so I know what you're talking about :thumbs:

good luck with that. does anyone cut turf in your area.

j.

BIG LUMPS OF COAL WASHED UP OFF THE BEACH AND SPLIT LOGS ;)

You must get sea coal round your parts then? :D

SHIPS GOT BOMBED WW2 BUD WASHES UP AFTER BIG WESTIES BEEN BLOWING ,

"During the war .........................." :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Gonetoearth sitting waiting for some coal to wash up :D

• Like 3

j,

j.

good luck with that. does anyone cut turf in your area.

j.

No mate, not that I can find on google, but there are firms who sell it mail order, not going to try and run it all the time, just fancy trying it, my mum was saying today that she remembers it being very smokey when used on a range?

Just curious is all :thumbs:

BIG LUMPS OF COAL WASHED UP OFF THE BEACH AND SPLIT LOGS ;)

You must get sea coal round your parts then? :D

SHIPS GOT BOMBED WW2 BUD WASHES UP AFTER BIG WESTIES BEEN BLOWING ,

"During the war .........................." :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Gonetoearth sitting waiting for some coal to wash up :D

:laugh: :laugh: TWAT

I burn smokeless coal, we get it for 16 quid a 50kg bag. I collect wood through the summer but we usually go mad at the first hint of slightly cool weather so it doesn't last that long but cost nought and gives the house a nice feel when they are on.