worst week

got up last friday morning to find my ferreting dog of 16 years laying in his own mess and not looking to good.

a quick trip to the vets confirmed our worst fears that sweeper was on his last legs and starting to suffer.after a talk with family we decided we could not let him suffer and asked the vet to put him down.we got sweep when he was 9 weeks old from ponda rosa dog kennels in Castleford.We had been looking for a jack russel pup but sweep was the runt left out of a litter that had been dumped there, so we couldn't resist.

he was a pleasure as a pup easy to train, a natural hunter, everybobys freind and great with kids.

at 5 months old he started to come with me when iwas out with the airgun and made a very useful retreiver and finder of shot quarry.

at 7 months he came ferreting ,the first set we arrived at he quickly ran to sniffed and looked at me, then started to scratch at the hole.We ferreted it and got 3 rabbits straight out.

from then on sweep never looked back,he lived to hunt, rats and rabbits were our main quarry, but he took afew hares out of there seats and lifted his fair share of pheasants along the way.

He would join in any hunt he could doing quite well at beating, hunting fox in a bobbery pack,and loved a chance to draw a fox if our backs were turned.

one day a local guy had lost his dog to ground without a collar on,and we we spent the day searching and digging holes in the location we thought the dog could be.at nightfall we decided to call it a day and agreeded to meet in the morning,just as we got to the cars we heard sweep whimper in the distant.We ran back to find him digging at nearby earth ,a quick scratch with the spade revealed the terrier trapped under a root,and we soon had her out safe and sound.

His love was rabbiting though,he found rabbits where other dogs had passed over and hai marking never let us down.we were once on our way back to the van and he marked deep under some brambles,but as it was snowing and we we allready had a bagfull we decided to leave it and called the dog so we head back home.when we got to the van no sweep,so i ran back what seemed like 3 mile [probably 1} to find sweep just coming out of a hole he'd dug with a rabbit in his mouth.

this morning i have been up the dales for a few hours ferreting and it just didn't feel right without him at my side, something was just missing.

i know things will get better,but i know he was/is irreplaceble.

sorry to go on,i just wanted thank him in my own way.

long live sweep

pic3je.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

He sounded like a proper good dog mate and good on you for giving him a cracking life for 16 years doing what he loved, keep your chin up ;)

I know what you mean about ferreting without him too, its still not the same for me without my old border and I even considered jacking the ferreting in.

By the edge of a woods, at the foot of a hill,

Is a lush, green meadow where time stands still.

Where the friends of man and woman do run,

When their time on earth is over and done.

For here, between this world and the next,

Is a place where each beloved creature finds rest.

On this golden land, they wait and they play,

Till the Rainbow Bridge they cross over one day.

No more do they suffer, in pain or in sadness,

For here they are whole, their lives filled with gladness.

Their limbs are restored, their health renewed,

Their bodies have healed, with strength imbued.

They romp through the grass, without even a care in the world

Until one day they start, and sniff at the air.

All ears prick forward, eyes dart front and back

Then all of a sudden, one breaks from the pack.

For just at that instant, their eyes have met;

Together again, both person and pet.

So they run to each other, these friends from long past,

The time of their parting is over at last.

The sadness they felt while they were apart,

Has turned into joy once more in each heart.

They embrace with a love that will last forever,

And then, side-by-side, they cross over together

• Like 3

know how you feel. my last lurcher bitch died 2 years ago havent replaced her yet. just ferret with the beddy. thinks may change next year.a sad time for you and a sad loss. but he had a long life working. plenty dont get near that age. atb :thumbs: