ferreting dog ?

hello lads , ive been thinking about getting a dog but im unsure on what yet . i want it to be an all round dog ie lamping ferreting etc i was thinking collie greyhound but i wanted to get your opinions on it as ive only ever realy done ferreting i have kept dogs but they were spaniels and i have been lamping with freinds but never with a dog of my own. so what dog do youse think it will be mainly used for ferret just so you know

Whippet x Grey x Some sort of terrier, keep it on the small size, dont want some massive dog pounding into the long nets!

just bred a litter that way for daytime work but they should be decent all rounders

14baqs.jpg

2vtp275.jpg

90vj3p.jpg

dam out of the above two

http://thewhippetarc...4397&sire=44726

sire

2uejwua.jpg

just waiting on the rough/broken coated ones to show themselves, so we can decide whats staying.

Whippet x Grey x Some sort of terrier, keep it on the small size, dont want some massive dog pounding into the long nets!

just bred a litter that way for daytime work but they should be decent all rounders

14baqs.jpg

2vtp275.jpg

90vj3p.jpg

dam out of the above two

http://thewhippetarc...4397&sire=44726

sire

2uejwua.jpg

just waiting on the rough/broken coated ones to show themselves, so we can decide whats staying.

i have a bearded/border collie x grey mate 26tts brilliant at ferreting but i also use him for rough and pigeon shooting, lamping and comes out with the hawk. being 26ins he eats the hills when in chase which there is a lot of hills on some of my permission. having the rough coat he will sit out ferreting for hours no problem in all weathers so if your going to be doing mainly ferreting that might be something to think about mate :thumbs:

so what would you surgest then ?its just ive seen some cracking collie greyhounds covering all sorts of game and feilds size and everyone has done a good job thats why i thought they would be ideal

wouldn't get too hung up on a specific mix, if it was me I'l just see what's about and pick from a litter bred by workers that's ideally got a bit of whippet and a bit of greyhound in it, with no saluki and no more than 1/4 bull....JMHO :thumbs:

Get yourself a bedlington whippet , dam well fast , but good decent size , great for around the sets for marking and helping watch the holes , but also well fast enough for open fields .

seen some very good beddy/whippets over the years. a friend of mine had them for 30 years. made great marking/ferreting dogs. some a little headstrong to train. but cracking little dogs. seen some very good collie crosses ferreting and also some very good lurcher to lurcher . whippets seem very popular these days but i have no experience of them. but plenty of people on here seem more than happy with them. good luck with your search. :thumbs: