badly treated ferret

hi guys i need some advice from you please i have just taken in a 1 year old ferret gill who has clearly been neglected when i picked her up her hutch was disgusting there should of been two but sadly one was dead in the hutch makes me mad it does eny way she is verey skinny and undernurished i have given her her own hutch with clean bedding and sawdust and clean water and dry food that she destroyed in seconds and seems to have perked up is there eny thing else i can do to fatten her up as we would say and try to get her back in a condition that she deserves eny suggestions would be much appricated

many thanks :thumbs:

hi guys i need some advice from you please i have just taken in a 1 year old ferret gill who has clearly been neglected when i picked her up her hutch was disgusting there should of been two but sadly one was dead in the hutch makes me mad it does eny way she is verey skinny and undernurished i have given her her own hutch with clean bedding and sawdust and clean water and dry food that she destroyed in seconds and seems to have perked up is there eny thing else i can do to fatten her up as we would say and try to get her back in a condition that she deserves eny suggestions would be much appricated

many thanks :thumbs:

from past experience I have just let them eat what they want when there skinny & clearly underweight , they dont seem to have the runs like skinny dogs do when they have been underfed & you have to limit what they have per meal , so i just give them plenty of good food , get some meat in as well for her & leave a dish of topped up dry food & water

Good luck with her & thanks for taking her on & giving her a chance :thumbs:

the shame of it is she is a freindly little thing with out no aggerssion (at the moment we will see when she is better ) i think she is glad of the company as i keep her by the back door and keep going to see her it is a shame i could not save the other one but at least this one will get treated right

Ive just put them in with the rest as there glad of the company and let them do there own thing and leaving them sleeping when i take the rest out ferreting its surprising how quick they bounce back

Even the best quality dry foods swell up in the stomach. If she's starving I'd suggest giving her only a tiny bit of dry food and try to get pigeons and rabbits for her instead which are a more natural food which won't swell up inside her, and which will take her longer to eat as well as providing the roughage the animal needs. If you can't get wild dead things then chicken wings are acceptable, and a little minced beef.

Well done,,

I`ve had exactley the same,, cept the ferret I rescued had eaten it`s hutch mate !! I was fekin furious with the owners,, too scared to go near it,, It was actually stuck to a tennis ball by the claws when I saved it,,

Time bud,, heals all,,, bring her on gently and she`ll come back into form,,

ATB

thank guys i am pigeon shooting in the morning so will hope fully have plenty for her i do give my others meat as well as dry food mainly in the summer i assume she was fed clearly not alot on dry food so just tried to keep it normal but will give her a bit pideon and rabbit soon :thumbs: do you know the most enoying thing the people who went to get her form just put a note on the door ferret around back wouldnt even face me when i went to get her sickos :hmm::censored:

Edited by badgerboy