Best guard dog

I start my army training on the 11th of september and i'm leaving my family and dogs behing. I don't live in the nicest of areas and want to know that theres something looking after the family. I'm happy to spend as much as is needed on the right dog and my family will be able to do the basic obedience training, however the sort of dog i'm looking for will need to be a natural guard that will look after the family and property with out protection or attack training. The dog will be walked for roughly 2 hours a day everyday of the week and will have run of the garden day and night.

What do people recommend?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For me it out of two dogs   Rottweiler   Temperament is a calm,confiend and courgeous dog with a self-assured alroofness that does not lend itself to immediate friendship. A Rottweiler is an inte

id get a rottie stay away from them mastifs if you got kids theres always one ragin a kid somewhere in papers and true or not why take chance

Cheers pal, don't know what his breeding was. I got him from a rescue centre when he was about 5 years old, he'd been abused and had virtually no muscle on his back legs.....the good old RSPCA left h

Posted Images

For me it out of two dogs

Rottweiler

Temperament is a calm,confiend and courgeous dog with a self-assured alroofness that does not lend itself to immediate friendship. A Rottweiler is an intelligent dog responding quietly and with a wait-and-see attitude to influences in his environment. He has an inherent desire to protect home and family with a strong willingness to work, making him especially suited as a companion, guardian and general all purpose dog.

German Shephard

Same as above but with an animal,which is very alert and full of life and when the occasion comes they have a built in instinct for guarding the home, which is why they are considered to be one of the best guard dog. Also their sheer size and deep powerfull bark makes them a great burgler dererrent.

If that any good to you mate :thumbs:

• Like 1

Do you want a watch dog, guard dog or man stopper?

Watch dog - anything small and yappy that will indicate someones about

Guard dog - visual deterrant any large dog gsd, rott, dobermann etc...breeding not important

man stopper - Well bred GSD, Rott, AB, Presa, bull mastiff (not show) or ban dog - emphasis on well bred...

Remember a snarling dog behind a fence could be a cur and turn tail and run when the chips are down so if its a man stopper you need do your homework.....or move... :thumbs:

alsation mate.loyal and very protective of family and property.its findint the right one thats the problem

get the a well bred GSD they are the best.Used to go to a farm where they had big black male GSD, and if it was loose it would bite you, you had to stay in the the car till the owner came, most times he was on the chain. A dog like this would stop 95% joe public, it the pro's who will get past any dog , they would shoot or poison any dog. I think prob with the masstiff types + rotties, they look the part but they dont bark much.And you want to stop people coming to your house at 100yds like a GSD would, not like rottie or mastiff type at 15-20yds. Ihad bullmastiffs in the 80s and they would guard, but not vocal enough for me. If you dont like GSD a good combo is a terrier+ big dog, say rottie and jack or pat , you have the sharp terrier and the big dog to back it up. A copper told me those 2 make a good team :thumbs:

id get a rottie stay away from them mastifs if you got kids theres always one ragin a kid somewhere in papers and true or not why take chance

no offence mate but it's that kind of mentality that helped get the pitbull banned! any medium or large dog could rag a kid if a knob owns it!

I had a mastiff cross until last year, I have never seen a dog as good as him with kids in my life. He stood 28" and was 50kg, I took him out of my car once and there was a woman and her 4 year old son on the car park, the kid dropped his mums hand and legged it to my dog and hugged him from the front. My dog loved it, I politely explained that it was a bit of a stupid move for her to let him do that as if it was a savage or nervous dog the kid would now have no face left, but he was fine. When my 2 year old neice came round she would sit playing with him and he was incredibley gentle, she'd sit on him and alsorts. I used to think people were insane to let kids play with dogs of that size but if you have a brain, and truly know your dog then I don't see it as a risk at all. The riskiest dogs around kids are the nervous ones IMO, and obviously the ones owned by retards!

But a mastiff as a guard? no chance, not mine anyway.....brilliant visual deterrent, and a booming bark that would shake the walls, but he'd sleep through a nuclear explosion, and he wasn't agile or fast enough.

post-39567-0-00085300-1314954837_thumb.jpg

Edited by rob190364

Regardless of common belief, a good Stafford will make a fine protector / guard and even man stopper, ive had them here since i was a young boy so have gotten to know them very well, very clever dogs once you realise how to get over there stubborness. they work well in packs also.

ATB D

no offence mate but it's that kind of mentality that helped get the pitbull banned! any medium or large dog could rag a kid if a knob owns it!

I had a mastiff cross until last year, I have never seen a dog as good as him with kids in my life. He stood 28" and was 50kg, I took him out of my car once and there was a woman and her 4 year old son on the car park, the kid dropped his mums hand and legged it to my dog and hugged him from the front. My dog loved it, I politely explained that it was a bit of a stupid move for her to let him do that as if it was a savage or nervous dog the kid would now have no face left, but he was fine. When my 2 year old neice came round she would sit playing with him and he was incredibley gentle, she'd sit on him and alsorts. I used to think people were insane to let kids play with dogs of that size but if you have a brain, and truly know your dog then I don't see it as a risk at all. The riskiest dogs around kids are the nervous ones IMO, and obviously the ones owned by retards!

But a mastiff as a guard? no chance, not mine anyway.....brilliant visual deterrent, and a booming bark that would shake the walls, but he'd sleep through a nuclear explosion, and he wasn't agile or fast enough.

he's a good looking mastiff,what breeding was he?

if someone broke into my house i'd want something with a bit of tenacity and power waiting for them.

i would never use one myself but i knew a fella who used an APBT and for pp work and that was one intense dog,the fella was a bit of a nutter and needed it,he got jumped once and the dog got stabbed with a screw driver a few times,it ended up blind in one eye and covered in scars but didn't release its grip.

he's a good looking mastiff,what breeding was he?

if someone broke into my house i'd want something with a bit of tenacity and power waiting for them.

i would never use one myself but i knew a fella who used an APBT and for pp work and that was one intense dog,the fella was a bit of a nutter and needed it,he got jumped once and the dog got stabbed with a screw driver a few times,it ended up blind in one eye and covered in scars but didn't release its grip.

Cheers pal, don't know what his breeding was. I got him from a rescue centre when he was about 5 years old, he'd been abused and had virtually no muscle on his back legs.....the good old RSPCA left his sleeping on concrete floor for 9 month with just a bed sheet for bedding so he always had problems with his joints. I built him up gradually though, that picture was about 12 months after I got him. He had to be on anti inflammatory drugs constantly though and in the end that's what killed him (kidney failure), I had him for 2 and a half years though. Absolutely brilliant dog, very dog agressive with strange dogs though, that was his only negative point really. When I got him he wouldn't tolerate any dogs at all, in the end I could take him out with both my dads mongrels, my sisters deer/grey and my lurcher pup and my pup would literally be hanging off his jowls.....pain in the arse when another dog was anywhere near though and he was far too big to risk situations where he could fight, I used to take him for walks in the middle on nowhere!

Edited by rob190364
  • Like 1

Regardless of common belief, a good Stafford will make a fine protector / guard and even man stopper, ive had them here since i was a young boy so have gotten to know them very well, very clever dogs once you realise how to get over there stubborness. they work well in packs also.

ATB D

we had staffs when i was a kid, and they were more like pits really size wise. they were brill family dogs loves kids, they would bark if you came in the house, not much noise outside the house. But my mate had male that was the same quite, but i think if you went in his house and didnt know you, you would have win him over or i think he would have you, and you wouldnt get out of the house, but still think a good GSD would do the same :yes:

I'm not an expert, but I would say it's more the individual breeding of the dog on whether it will be suitable. I used to have a rotty and they have such a bad rep that most people stay away. They are instantly recognised unlike something like a presa etc despite looking just as intimidating. He wouldn't bark constantly (3-5 loud booming barks then he would wait for a reaction), but was extremely protective and had great instincts on when to act. For example he never reacted to anything when I walked him, but if my girlfriend took him out he wouldn't let any f****r near her.

No need to go overkill though, 99.999% of people would see you have a dog then try somewhere else, you would need to have something pretty valuable before anyone would go to the effort. Kids come first, so I would recommend a scary looking dog that is trust worthy beyond anything else.

If I was to get one, I'd be looking for a GSD from healthy, stable stock. I've seen some fecking skittish GSD's before, but I've also seen some very steady ones. Great with the family, they can be soft as shit if treated properly but they just seem to know when to turn it on when needed. :yes: