Whats peoples thoughts on unmated jills.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Having learned the hard way how Galling it is to lose a ferret to anemia, I can quite happily say I think you are wrong, and will stand by that as long as you like!   If you keep Jills, minmise the

Me for one,, I lost a wee jill years ago through staying in season, and developing anemia,, NEVER again,, felt like a twat for showing a lack of knowledge,, so I never risk it now,, snipped hob

I've had ferrets since about 1977, never used the jill jab, snipped hob or any other method mentioned in fact back then it wasn't even an option, I've always kept my cages clean, fed meat all year rou

I've kept Ferrets for over 30yrs.I Only work Jills and i have only bred Two litters in those 30yrs+.I have never had a Jill die because she was in Season overlong.My Jills are fed on Flesh and kept very Clean.

Well the same as many members on here :thumbs: but ferret100 wants blood tests doing to prove shes right and everyone else is wrong :laugh:

Have a good season

YI.S Leeview

I've kept Ferrets for over 30yrs.I Only work Jills and i have only bred Two litters in those 30yrs+.I have never had a Jill die because she was in Season overlong.My Jills are fed on Flesh and kept very Clean.

Well the same as many members on here :thumbs: but ferret100 wants blood tests doing to prove shes right and everyone else is wrong :laugh:

Have a good season

YI.S Leeview

Just looking forward to you putting your money where your mouth is. We have a syndicate going...

Have a good season

YI.S Leeview

Just looking forward to you putting your money where your mouth is. We have a syndicate going...

You want the tests doing your paying

Y.I.S Leeview

Have a good season

YI.S Leeview

Y.I.S Leeview

I'll pay if you are right.....but I severely doubt I'll be out of pocket. If you are serious about proving a jill left in season has no consequences, then PM me to sort the details out.

Edited by ferret100

Have a good season

YI.S Leeview

Y.I.S Leeview

I'll pay if you are right.....but I severely doubt I'll be out of pocket. If you are serious about proving a jill left in season has no consequences, then PM me to sort the details out.

I'll have to try that on the Euro lottery I wont pay till I know the numbers :laugh: :laugh:

If you want these tests doing not one penny will be coming from my pocket :thumbs: You asked if I would be willing to have them tested and I said YES so you pay and I'll have blood samples taken and tested for what you want them testing for on receipt of your money :yes: If that dont suit lodge the money with Dr June McNicholas as guarantor that your paying for the tests

Y.I.S Leeview

Read most of this thread over the last few days.

I have never had any problems with leaving a jill in season, mine are clean and fed on a good diet of flesh, and have owned a lot of ferrets in my time.

No doubt bringing them out of season is probably the safest way for any animal to live, either by covering them with a snipped hob or the jab, but in my experience i have not seen any side effects. (By the way, most of my ferrets, hobs and jills rarely make it past 9-10 yrs old at best).

Can anyone explain the side effects of what will happen to the jills, and what there condition is rather than just saying they will contract this and that then die early if they are left in season?

I dont believe its essential to take a jill out of season, but think it will benefit from doing so no doubt.

Think a lot of scaremongering has gone on, and most of the problems are caused by bad care and diet of animals.

One thing that does bother me though, is the jills that would be unhealthy without the artificial meddling, will continue to live normal and healthy lives, and then be bred again and again, generation after generation throwing out offspring with the same genes.

Would the ferret be a better animal in the long run if natural selection weeded out the weeds?

• Like 1

Have a good season

YI.S Leeview

Y.I.S Leeview

I'll have to try that on the Euro lottery I wont pay till I know the numbers :laugh: :laugh:

If you want these tests doing not one penny will be coming from my pocket :thumbs: You asked if I would be willing to have them tested and I said YES so you pay and I'll have blood samples taken and tested for what you want them testing for on receipt of your money :yes: If that dont suit lodge the money with Dr June McNicholas as guarantor that your paying for the tests

Y.I.S Leeview

So you aren't willing to put your money where you mouth is then?

thought id chuck my 2 p's worth in

In my experience women of any species are complicated! It may look alright from the outside but you never know whats going on inside...

the swelling may go down but (in my experience) it does affect the internal workings -hair loss is a good pre pyometra sign - usually starts from neck region and works down,seen one jill when spayed - life or death situation after being left in season,whose insides had kinda started to crystalise,another the vet couldnt tell where/what her uterus was, whole innards looked like a load of cat guts, it was so swollen -all down to being left in season for too long - have worked a bit at a vets surgery.

I reckon there are exceptions to evey rule, but why take the risk,these little creatures are our tools,I woudnt leave my best spade out in the rain to go to rack and ruin,if it needed a new handle or oiling id sort it,just as I would no longer leave a jill in season for too long

each to their own but thats my view atb

• Like 2

My Jills are just coming out of season naturally. I had them jabbed last year and left them in again the year before.. Like people have said, if you keep the cages clean and feed a meat based diet, they'll be fine.

When I was a kid my dad's & uncles ferrets were fed on bred, milk, the occasional tin of cat food & never taken out of season. I can't ever remember either of them loosing a Jill..

I'm not advocating the way ferrets used to be kept, nor am I saying that having a Jill taken out of season is anything other than beneficial. What I'm trying to say is that I don't agree with the 'Take the Jill out of season or she'll die' mentality which seems to be the norm since the advent of the internet.. :yes:

It's become one of the internet ferreting commandments, right up there with 'Thou shalt not ferret without a locator...' :laugh:

• Like 1

I agree with the analogy of the spade in the rain but by the same token, I wouldn't breed from a bitch every time she came in season (or my wife for that matter!) No sarcy comments please! :angel:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating breeding every yr, all my jlls are speyed, one off payment of £40- about the price of a good night out and no more worries

There are plenty of kits available from good stock, from good blokes

as well as the hundreds bred by plonkers every year that end up to fill the rescues,

We do a bit of fund raising for the local rescue - after seeing the amount of unwanted kits they take in each year there's no way I'd breed when I can get decent kits from decent ferreters