lamping last nite bitch broke her leg

Tbh you can debate this all you want...the dog,s gone and no amount of should have,s could have,s will bring it back..the lad made a tough decision out in the field and maybe it was right one...in an ideal world we,d all like to think these decisions are made easily..but they are not. Hats off to all those who have had success with terrible injuries and hats off to those who have had to make the awful choice of pts. The world of running dogs is a fickle one but you must be prepared for every eventuality because everyday out in the field could be its last one...Be prepared folks is all im sayin...atb stabba

• Like 2

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tbh you can debate this all you want...the dog,s gone and no amount of should have,s could have,s will bring it back..the lad made a tough decision out in the field and maybe it was right one...in an

So on the basis of a phone diagnosis you put the dog down. In my experience vets always give worse case scenario.....but to put a dog down on the basis of a phone conversation was premature imo. See

Done the right thing. Could spend lots of time and money all for nothing. Some folk getting pets and working dogs mixed up again.

sorry to hear about that,but id say cause you didnt have the cash for the vet,he just told you that it wouldnt run again.how the hell does he know that or you for that matter.im sorry but if it was my dog i would be taking it home,and getting an xray just to comfirm the break.no way i would be killing my dog and burying it,when i didnt know for a fact it wouldnt run again.similar thing happened to a pup i got.broke its leg,and i paid 250quid for xrays and consultations.finally made the decision to give the dog away to the vets manager as a pet.the only time i have buried a dog is when it has been killed outright.at the least you owed the beast an xray

Am very suprised an ex greyhound racing man has said this. How many of the track dogs get an x ray before they get put down? This is the point i was trying to make about pets and workers. If you have a worker then you make the decision on working abilities, if you have a pet then you let your heart rule your desicion. Either way it doesn't make you at fault... :thumbs:

it would suprise you to know quiet a few mate.i have spent small fortunes on racers at vets.and yes i have also told vets to put dogs down cause in the vets opinion it would never race again.however you still need to get it checked imo.an xray is the way to make that decision.not having a dig by any means here,but not all greyhound men are callous and off hand with thier dogs.oh and like moo said if you were so sure the dog was f****d,why even bother getting the vet out of bed and wasting credit calling him,if you were so sure it was f****d,.

SORRY about your dog mate mi bitch broke nek this year was the shitist night of me life but i still took her to a vet and had her pts proper cost half a months pay

2 weeks pay to put adog down are you working in the third world....?

it was at 2:30 am cost £250 just to walk in the vets £50 for a taxi and £180 so 480 all togever

all i was botherd about is my hunting partner :feck: :feck:

The vet robbed you. give him the :feck: not me.

sorry to hear about that,but id say cause you didnt have the cash for the vet,he just told you that it wouldnt run again.how the hell does he know that or you for that matter.im sorry but if it was my dog i would be taking it home,and getting an xray just to comfirm the break.no way i would be killing my dog and burying it,when i didnt know for a fact it wouldnt run again.similar thing happened to a pup i got.broke its leg,and i paid 250quid for xrays and consultations.finally made the decision to give the dog away to the vets manager as a pet.the only time i have buried a dog is when it has been killed outright.at the least you owed the beast an xray

Am very suprised an ex greyhound racing man has said this. How many of the track dogs get an x ray before they get put down? This is the point i was trying to make about pets and workers. If you have a worker then you make the decision on working abilities, if you have a pet then you let your heart rule your desicion. Either way it doesn't make you at fault... :thumbs:

it would suprise you to know quiet a few mate.i have spent small fortunes on racers at vets.and yes i have also told vets to put dogs down cause in the vets opinion it would never race again.however you still need to get it checked imo.an xray is the way to make that decision.not having a dig by any means here,but not all greyhound men are callous and off hand with thier dogs.oh and like moo said if you were so sure the dog was f****d,why even bother getting the vet out of bed and wasting credit calling him,if you were so sure it was f****d,.

I dont think there callous mate.......maybe this is why its getting debated back and forward so passionately? Someone who choses to put 'there own dog' down after a serious injury does so for a reason. Now that reason might be for the dogs better interests, there own interests or probably the main interest and thats money! Who would pay pennies for a dog and when it gets a serious injury then fork out hundreds of pounds with a chance of the dog still not making a full recovery. The people who do so are the people who have enough finacial backing behind them.

Maybe cause i've been brought up with my Dad racing Greyhounds and thats the way its always been with him, still dont think he is wrong in anyway whats so ever!!!!

fair doos lab,point taken.the thing i was saying was mate,if i spend hundreds of pounds or even a few grand i wanna know for sure it is f****d,with no chance of comming back.same goes for a lurcher i have spent time,food and money on.i once saw a dog impaled on old farm machinery.that dog was f****d,and needed to be put out of misery.lucky enough we were on permission and borrowed the farmers gun.anyway i have said my bit.

I dont think there callous mate.......maybe this is why its getting debated back and forward so passionately? Someone who choses to put 'there own dog' down after a serious injury does so for a reason. Now that reason might be for the dogs better interests, there own interests or probably the main interest and thats money! Who would pay pennies for a dog and when it gets a serious injury then fork out hundreds of pounds with a chance of the dog still not making a full recovery. The people who do so are the people who have enough finacial backing behind them.

Maybe cause i've been brought up with my Dad racing Greyhounds and thats the way its always been with him, still dont think he is wrong in anyway whats so ever!!!!

the dog was put 2 sleep for its good it was bread 2 work reared 2 work and would not have enjoyed the rest of its life stuck out a yard for the rest of its life on 3 legs. diffrent situations calls for diffrent reactions and i dont care who says what the dog was pts for her own good.

scothunter the vet was rang on behalf of my friend so keep your smart arse comments 2 yourself u prick theres no need for them on this topic.

fair doos lab,point taken.the thing i was saying was mate,if i spend hundreds of pounds or even a few grand i wanna know for sure it is f****d,with no chance of comming back.same goes for a lurcher i have spent time,food and money on.i once saw a dog impaled on old farm machinery.that dog was f****d,and needed to be put out of misery.lucky enough we were on permission and borrowed the farmers gun.anyway i have said my bit.

I see where your coming from mate but in fairness if you have a few thousand pounds to throw about buying dogs then theres a good chance you might be able to hold onto an injured dog and pay the vet bills in the chance it might come good again. Whatever its always a difficult call and there can be alot of different factors... :thumbs:

I wish I had made the tough decision at the time as my young bitch feels her leg sometimes a couple times a week and sometimes it ok for a couple of weeks at a time I'm in the process of getting her back into the vets to have the pin removed as I'm pretty sure that's what's causing the problem but to be honest it was me being selfish not pts

I wish I had made the tough decision at the time as my young bitch feels her leg sometimes a couple times a week and sometimes it ok for a couple of weeks at a time I'm in the process of getting her back into the vets to have the pin removed as I'm pretty sure that's what's causing the problem but to be honest it was me being selfish not pts

thats the point im trying 2 make mate the bitch was well loved got the best off fod kept in a weather tight pen walked every day an hunted every chance we got last season it was her first nite back on the lamp after we had a nice bit of rain and the conditions were great.what would have been the point leaving her live if she was going 2 be in pain for the rest of her life hobbling around thats if she even kept the leg.it was a hard decision but the right one.

the dog was put 2 sleep for its good it was bread 2 work reared 2 work and would not have enjoyed the rest of its life stuck out a yard for the rest of its life on 3 legs. diffrent situations calls for diffrent reactions and i dont care who says what the dog was pts for her own good.

scothunter the vet was rang on behalf of my friend so keep your smart arse comments 2 yourself u prick theres no need for them on this topic.

oh im a prick now,cause i would have done something diffrent to you.hmm i siuspect the only prick around here,is your good self.

oh im a prick now,cause i would have done something diffrent to you.hmm i siuspect the only prick around here,is your good self.

no your a prick for saying whats the point of ringing the vet and geting him out of bed and wasting your credit thats what your a prick for.

fair enough if u would have done something diffrent that would have been your choice but most agree with or choice.

there was no need for the childish comments.

no your a prick for saying whats the point of ringing the vet and geting him out of bed and wasting your credit thats what your a prick for.

fair enough if u would have done something diffrent that would have been your choice but most agree with or choice.

there was no need for the childish comments.

tbh mate i couldnt give a shit what most people would do.i dont wait to get the thl blessing before i make decisions when it comes to my animals.i apologise if you thought i was being a prick,that was certainly not my intention.

thats my point thou we were miles from home dog was in pain heart doing 100mph i new personaly it was very bad and we had 2 make a DECISION.and il stand by it that it was the right one my dogs are a big part of my life but i wouldnt like 2 see one suffer either.

no worries anyway it is a touchy subject and i hope il never be put in that situation again.