Treadmills & Terriers

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lmao @ 2 hrs on a mill!!! And what could possibly be wrong with getting a dog in the best shape possible before putting them in a physically challenging situation. Lazy people don't own mills, lazy pe

i dont care what anyone says treadmills r 4 people who carnt be f****d to walk there dogs when the dog will be on the treadmill the owner will be sat on the big fat arse with a big cake in there hand

you havent a clue,i had bull terriers for years and a mill is a god send,stupid remarks from those who dont know.

Now here's another one for some of you to wind your necks in on. One of my dogs uses regular hydrotherapy for an injury she had which also keeps her fit and well!

Just wondered if anyone else uses it?

Swimming is another good tool for getting dogs into shape.

Now here's another one for some of you to wind your necks in on. One of my dogs uses regular hydrotherapy for an injury she had which also keeps her fit and well!

Swimming is another good tool for getting dogs into shape.

When i kept the greyhounds if they had a slight injury and could not be galloped i would then swim them to keep them fit.

depends on how many terriers you have i suppose .Some people dont have the time to walk all their terriers 2 maybe 3 times a day.Personally i walk two terriers at a time and one lurcher ,then i have to walk another terrier ,teagle and a lurcher later that evening if i can.The only thing i am thinking though is that during the summer months with a a few terriers on a thread mill and not working ,would they be too wound up

I like the idea of the tread mill, i let mine have a good run about when i let them out to lose some steam. Then they follow the van behind at a steady pace nothing stupid for 1/2 mile. This gives their lungs a good work out. Then i take them from 30-40 minute walk where they get to bush about and swim in a small pool. They come back then and they get to rip and pull at a flat basket ball that hanging on a rope in the kennels thats off the floor and they cant quite reach. They love this and go mad for it. This really gives them a work out and gets them fit. I have being doing this for a fair few weeks and their getting fairly fit with pleanty of lean hard mucsle.

You can only help them out to get them in the best possible shape for the start of the season as you cant really stimulate they work they do below ground to get working fit. Hope this make some sence.

ATB Rob

Carp Man, thanks you the stupid responce, i thought it would take longer than a couple of minutes for someone to write CRAP. . . . . . . .

I am looking for true terrierman who have experiences using treadmills, and the pro's and cons........

i dont care what anyone says treadmills r 4 people who carnt be f****d to walk there dogs when the dog will be on the treadmill the owner will be sat on the big fat arse with a big cake in there hands u have got about 5 mouth when the huntin season has done to keep your dogs fit but no when the season done u forget about your dogs now the huntin season is startin soon u r tryin to get your dog fit in about a week well done mate thats how 2 do it :clapper::wallbash:

I run the terriers on a treadmill and walk my dogs 5+ miles 5 times a week, I use the treadmill to help get them in shape and keep them fit, so what you've said there is nonsense I'm afraid.

Treadmills are a good aid but I would never replace walking them with a treadmill. Having them out mooching not only gets them fit and out in the fresh air but stimulates their brains more as well.

I'd like to use hydrotherapy but havent got the room to set up a pool and don't know if there is anywhere local that does it by me? How much does it cost?

I'd like to use hydrotherapy but havent got the room to set up a pool and don't know if there is anywhere local that does it by me? How much does it cost?

It costs me £25.00 for 45 minutes but of course i only use that in the initial stages, you can use an old bath and a buoyancy jacket and just hold the terrier in place while it uses its legs. You have to make sure the temperature is right otherwise you can do more damage than good. The warmth keeps the circulation right. Some hydrotherapy units use underwater treadmills, although I havent used this so i cant comment on it.

It costs me £25.00 for 45 minutes but of course i only use that in the initial stages, you can use an old bath and a buoyancy jacket and just hold the terrier in place while it uses its legs. You have to make sure the temperature is right otherwise you can do more damage than good. The warmth keeps the circulation right. Some hydrotherapy units use underwater treadmills, although I havent used this so i cant comment on it.

At 25 rats for 45 minutes I think I'll be giving it a miss to be honest. I'll stick to what I'm already doing I think :good: Thanks for the info though.

Its a known fact you can't walk a dog fit how many of you forget the most crucial part of a dogs fitness the rub down after a long walk or run i walk mine 3 mile run on tread mill for 30 mins then walk for 3 mile run then put in mag box for an hour the dogs super fit and wouldn't have no worries dropping dog in anywhere for any length of time will

Some of the replys are just not realistic for everyone. Exercising dogs 3 times a day, all running loose is just not possiable for most of the dog men I know. A friend of mine uses a treadmill for his terriers and swears by it for keeping the dogs fit. I'm thinking of getting one myself

i know what you mean but im lucky to live rural and when i exercise my dogs i dont meet any other dogs and my terriers have collars on just in case they pick up a scent but to be honest i know where the holes are and there not that close so i can normally call them off