ticks on ferret

Guest lamper/gatherer

Guest lamper/gatherer

checked my ferret earlier,hes picked up a few ticks since our last trip.whats the best way of removing them.i normally just rip em off with eyebrow tweezers,sometimes leaves bits in though,perhaps you guys/girls do it a better way.?

As ticks breath through their humps ive found the best way is to put a blob of vasolene so it covers them and when they die they drop off no messing. cheap and harmless ;)

yup, i do that too, on all my critters, the rare occasions they get ticks. works a treat!

checked my ferret earlier,hes picked up a few ticks since our last trip.whats the best way of removing them.i normally just rip em off with eyebrow tweezers,sometimes leaves bits in though,perhaps you guys/girls do it a better way.?

I would not try to pick off a tick as the mouth parts will be left inside your ferret's skin to fester. Any alcohol such as methylated spirits should be painted over the tick, within a couple of small applications the tick should quickly die and in doing so will extract himself from his host, leaving no imbedded parts.

An application of antiseptic cream or ointment after the tick has gone will stop any infection at the wound site.

OTC

if you have any flea spray, spray a bit on a cotton bud and then rub the cotton bud on the tic.

Tic will fall off in a couple of days, and also if you had any fleas youve killed them as well..

HTH

Guest lamper/gatherer
i bought a tick remover from pets at home a couple of years ago- use it for ferrets and terrier is really good! just slides under tick and pulls tick and legs etc out without any fuss

found a small animal spot on,used for rats,rabbits,etc,only £1.50 lasts 3 month made by bob martin.