Hi all just want a bit of advice,iv got a 9week old pup that iv had a couple of weeks,she's so picky at eating,she only eats tiny bits of her dinner,iv tried loads of food I started on gains 28 when I got her that's what she was on with mince chicken then went off that then red mills racer she started that and done the same,I mixed it with mince then wet food didn't take to that so she's now on science planwhat the vet said when I took her for her jab,and picky withthat too lol I feed her 3-4 times a day but shes a little bxxch lol any advice will be grateful.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Stick to one brand of food, put the bowl down for say 10 minutes then remove it (even if she's not eaten it). Wait until next feed time and do the same. She will soon learn to eat when the bowl goes

Some pups are a bit weird: I've had some which stuffed themselves every other day, and only picked on the days in between. As long as the pup is healthy, drinking, peeing and crapping normally, and sp

Posted Images

Stick to one brand of food, put the bowl down for say 10 minutes then remove it (even if she's not eaten it). Wait until next feed time and do the same.

She will soon learn to eat when the bowl goes down or she loses it.

I've never ever known of a dog starve itself to death, she's just playing you mate to see if you offer something she thinks is better. When she works out that it's all she's going to get then she will eat it.

Oh and don't give her any treats so she has an apetite when her food is put down :thumbs:

• Like 1

A puppy that isnt eating is a serious thing, iv never known a healthy puppy not eat well! Any healthy puppy will just eat and eat and eat untill it looks like a balloon then have a shit and carry on eating! I suggest you make sure it has water as an absolute minimum pref with some salt (proper sea salt not that sodium shit) and some sugar. That will at least keep it alive for the time being. It needs worming ASAP too and try to get it eating, for now give it what its used to. If that is raw chicken and mince then give it raw chicken and mince. Wouldnt be a bad diet anyway actually. Keep an eye on it, set your alarm every hour and if its condition gets any worse get it to a vet fast. Yes it sunday tomorrow, so what if you have to pay extra, do it. As for WHY its not eating: it could be new surroundings BUT youve had it a couple of weeks so its prob not that. Illnesswise it could be parvo. Whats its shit like? Is it bieng sick? Does it smell? If its parvo there is a very strong (and f*****g horrible) smell. ATB.

Thanks for your comments,she fine health wise I had her vet checked sat when I had her jab done,and she's like a lunertic with endless energy,it's just she takes a few mouthfuls and then it's like she ain't got the time for it,I'm gonna try that shazza see how that goes .

hi what you got to understand is that a pups at 9 week old does not need loads of food fill it up that if you are feeding 4 or 5 times a day they only whant little but often as long it got a high protion about 28 to 32 percent like beta puppy and they got plenty of water good luck

Guest hunterside

hi mate,now the litter brother to yours is totally different,i feed him 4 times a day,i put the bowl down and within a minute or two its gone!.Like shazza said stick to the same food and like harrywatson said little and often,me personally i have set times when i feed breakfast 8 am,dinner 1pm,teatime at 6pm and then his last feed is about 10pm,one thing i dont do is leave food down all day,i like my dogs to have an appetite.atb hs.

Some pups are a bit weird: I've had some which stuffed themselves every other day, and only picked on the days in between. As long as the pup is healthy, drinking, peeing and crapping normally, and spends a normal amount of time playing and sleeping, then don't worry as long as the food she is eating is of top quality: raw diet or good quality puppy food, not any old cheap shit whose primary ingredient is wheat!

• Like 1

Well lads iv just had a break through with the little shit lol,i put warm water I'n with her red mills biscuits and she scoffed it :),now hopefully one problem over,got her sitting on command but not gonna over do nothing still let her be a puppy,but she's got a temper on her im gonna have to get out of her,but it's all part of the fun of bringing a puppy on,I'm really rusty only ever had the one pup and he's five year old now,the more advice the better.atb

Well lads iv just had a break through with the little shit lol,i put warm water I'n with her red mills biscuits and she scoffed it :),now hopefully one problem over,got her sitting on command but not gonna over do nothing still let her be a puppy,but she's got a temper on her im gonna have to get out of her,but it's all part of the fun of bringing a puppy on,I'm really rusty only ever had the one pup and he's five year old now,the more advice the better.atb

a little gravey in with the dry helps to sometimes, :thumbs:

I also have a picky eater, he has always ate well one day and the next hardly anything, this is the norm, now I just accept it, that this is the way he is, but as Skycat has told me some pups can go off food when teething. although I guess your pups a bit young for that.