Back length.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A long back is supposidly desireable, as with a cheetah, because the flexibility of a long back gives longer strides. How this would help a coursing dog on the fens, I could see, but would a long stri

Posted Images

Just found the article on the study of speed in Borzoi

My link

I notice they divide the back into 2 sections. Roughly...Shoulder to middle of the back is the back, mid back to pins is the loin.

No mention of back length being significant, but loin length definitely was, (which for us lay people would mean the whole back was longer) as was length of rear legs, deeper chest and higher belly was also noted in the faster dogs.

So roughly speaking this survey concludes what most of think, regarding lurchers, deep chest, long back, long legs = Speed.

Interesting about the ears, wonder why that would make a difference...more streamlined perhaps???

Very interesting link FTB, thank you :thumbs:

Guest born to run1083

So from the four dogs measured it appears that the length of back is shorter than the height ! Supprised me !

Cheers.

i'l measure mine in the morning as Im pretty certain her back is longer then her height, and her tail touches the floor. got a good pic if someone would post it for me that shows this lol

Its had me interested this so did my pup - she's 24tts, then from neck to pin bones 22", with 8" being back and 14" being loin and a 19" tail - hangs 2" off floor when you pull it down straight. It did suprise me that she's taller than longer - one of those visual illusion things!:blink: