removing meat

Guest bezza

I feed a complete dry food and make no apolgies for that. It is a balanced and scientifically researched product -cheap and hygenic. Do you lads who are very particular and knowledgeable about dogs' diets apply the same principles to your own diets? In other words do you measure cholesterol levels, protein and carbohydrate percentages before you eat anything? To be honest I think all this dietary talk when applied to dogs is a bit weird. I can understand greyhound owners feeding their dogs the very best because a hundredth of a second is important to a racing dog's performance but an ordinary working dog needs an ordinary working diet.

If you scientific feeders do apply the same principles to your own diets then it's the first step to bulimia or anorexia or both!

Please no pious neurotic crap about me being a callous uncaring owner.! I feed my dog what the canine nutritionists tell me is a an excellent diet.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Eamon.Mc

[

:laugh: Don't worry Gnasher....My old man was Mr. Britain (bodybuilding) for a few years and I was brought up with nutrition and all that stuff.....I had a very similar argument the other night in the pub :D

IN THE PUB!! Glad to see you listened to your fathers nutritional advice then stabs! :laugh:

Cheers Eamon :laugh: The argument was actually with my old man :laugh:

We started off arguing about the best dog for hares local and then it escalated.....by the way he reckons it's whippet/grey locally as that's all he and his dad and his dad have ever used for old puss ;)

Are dogs true carnivores? been reading up a bit on the net about diet after following this thread and found this by a vet

Dog are not true carnivores, because they can produce the essential

amino acids and do not have to ingest them in their diet. Cats are true

carnivores.

Feeding all meat, or nearly all meat diets to dogs almost inevitably

leads to feeding an improperly balanced diet, especially in the calcium and

phosphorous ratios. There is no evidence that I know of that feeding

more protein than is necessary for maintenance and repair of the enzymes,

muscles, etc. in the body has any benefits. It doesn't make a lot of

difference to the dog's system if the protein is high quality or low

quality as long as it does meet those needs. It is necessary to feed

higher quantities of poorer quality proteins, though. This is bad for dogs who

already have kidney failure because it increases the amount of protein

products the damaged kidneys have to deal with. It seems logical that it

might help the kidneys to feed lower amounts of higher quality protein

throughout life but there really isn't much evidence to support a

beneficial effect except in dogs who actually have kidney insufficiency.

Cooked grains are nearly 100% digestible for dogs. There really isn't a

lot of question about this based on the results of feeding studies. I am not

sure why people come to the conclusion that grains are not good for

dogs.

It is estimated that about 50% of dogs are lactose intolerant, to some

degree. I think that a smaller number of dogs actually show recognizable

signs of lactose intolerance after ingesting milk products, though. This

is just based on observing patients in our practice, though, so I could be

wrong. Given this, you could make a case for not including dairy

products in a diet that you were formulating.

I feed a complete dry food and make no apolgies for that. It is a balanced and scientifically researched product -cheap and hygenic. Do you lads who are very particular and knowledgeable about dogs' diets apply the same principles to your own diets? In other words do you measure cholesterol levels, protein and carbohydrate percentages before you eat anything? To be honest I think all this dietary talk when applied to dogs is a bit weird. I can understand greyhound owners feeding their dogs the very best because a hundredth of a second is important to a racing dog's performance but an ordinary working dog needs an ordinary working diet.

If you scientific feeders do apply the same principles to your own diets then it's the first step to bulimia or anorexia or both!

Please no pious neurotic crap about me being a callous uncaring owner.! I feed my dog what the canine nutritionists tell me is a an excellent diet.

Is that the same canine nutritionists that work for the big pet food companies.

im sure you care for your dogs well and only want the best for them . there is plenty of litrature out there about feeding raw flesh, and its benfits over dried vedgatable matter that comes disgiused as dog food.

check out the books about the barf diet. and raw meaty bones. DOGS ARE CARNIVORS, THEY EAT MEAT . ITS THAT SIMPLE

what a load of monkeys testicles, this argument has been done to death already and its bloody annoying, if you just take THIER word for it you are dumb as they are. yes your dog wil work resonably well on dry SHIT but will it live a long and enjoyable life, NO, if you really apply yourself and stop bieng LAZY you will see what a DIFFERENCE a BALANCED raw diet can do for your dog.!

PS the capitals are just there for EMPHASIS :victory:

Edited by ginge

what a load of monkeys testicles, this argument has been done to death already and its bloody annoying, if you just take THIER word for it you are dumb as they are. yes your dog wil work resonably well on dry SHIT but will it live a long and enjoyable life, NO, if you really apply yourself and stop bieng LAZY you will see what a DIFFERENCE a BALANCED raw diet can do for your dog.!

PS the capitals are just there for EMPHASIS :victory:

Well thats a load of b@llOcks for a start i've had racing greyhounds for years and the last one to peg it did at a ripe old age of 18 years old and had always been fed on a complete diet (maybe with bits n bobs added) , even when racing and was one of the fastest dogs on the track!

nobody said that a dog would starve to fecking death on complete ... BUT what we are saying is that the dog would have been that much healthyer and better on a natural diet .... just how can a scientist make a meal better than nature ????????? brocky what was the racing name of that greyhound ............

Surely the people who sell comercial feeds would want their customers dogs to live as long as possible dead dogs dont make any money the longer they live the more profit they make obviously there will be some unscrupulus mothers out there that dont give a crap how long the dogs survive but some of the top companies do.

Myself ive tried complete greyhound foods and apart from the most expensive i find they have to eat way to much to keep weight on when working hard ive tried an all meat diet when i worked at a knackers yard they kept weight on but their coats never looked quite right and their muscle was soft,when fed best beef brown bread fish veg and table scraps the muscle gets harder and their coats look better that speaks volumes to me if a dog was a true carnivore they would be living wild all over britain and the rest of the world yes they eat predomintely meat but they evolved eating what humans gave em and if you want the best out of em you should feed em the best you can, good quality meat good quality bread etc and if they are worked daily then its best minced fine and fed lean to go through em quickly and make getting the best out of their diet easily with the odd bone and big lumps of meat fed on days off to clean teeth and help with stomach acids

JMO