22lr high velocity?

What's peoples recommendation on high velocitys for 22lr. As got some foxes to sort, and want right ammo ! Can get within 70 yrdd away from them. And my FEO. Said if going to shoot fox. Use high velocity !

Thanks

Three points:

1) Have you got fox on your FAC? ( The .22rf rifle will be used for vermin and fox control ). If not, then you can not use your .22rf for fox control as it would be illegal no matter what the FEO told you.

2) A .22rf isn't really suitable for fox control. That said many thousands of foxes have fallen to the .22rf. Apply for a .223 soon as.

3) The best high velocity .22rf are the ones you leave in the shop. High velocity .22rf do not act the same with regards to wound channels and hydrostatic shock as you would find with a centerfire bullet. At 70 yards, a well placed head shot using .22 subsonic ammunition will kill a fox but even with high velocity .22rf (lr and not WMR) head shots are a must.

John

HV .22LR is a waste of time. Accuracy is far more important than a few extra ft.lb's of energy, and the standard and HV rounds sit firmly in the "transonic" speed range, where the flow is unpredictable and so the rounds are inaccurate. If you have to shoot them with .22LR (and it's more than capable of taking down a fox at 50 or 60 yards if put in the right place) then a subsonic round is the way forward, one that works well in your rifle so you can put the bullet in exactly the right place.

Yes i got fox on my ticket for 22rf. When u

Want a centrefire, u need a mentor

Dont you. ( go under the wing

For a year or so) that's what I been told!

If you need to shoot foxes then you need the right tool for the job and a .22lr isn't the right tool for the job. Discuss the issues with your FEO and see what come from the conversation. Ask about a .22WMR or .22H as a first step.

John

Winchester Laser .22 fast, accurate, with a great punch.

ATB

thumbs.gifthumbs.gif

I was at the range yesterday with the chrono to see how they perform. They were averaging 1370fps .My rifle rifle is zeroed at 50 yards (for the .22lr winchester sub) and the targets were at 110 yards and the scope only needed four minutes of angle (12 clicks) to bring it back on target to hit the spinner targets.

How long have you had the .22lr ?

can you put in for a variation .223 CF

Not heard of having to have a mentor, although if you are inexperienced it is a good idea

do you belong to a club ?

Ive dropped many a fox with .22lr subs but Ive got over 40 years behind me and still prefer to drop them with my tikka 223

• Like 1

Yes i got fox on my ticket for 22rf. When u

Want a centrefire, u need a mentor

Dont you. ( go under the wing

For a year or so) that's what I been told!

If you need to shoot foxes then you need the right tool for the job and a .22lr isn't the right tool for the job. Discuss the issues with your FEO and see what come from the conversation. Ask about a .22WMR or .22H as a first step.

John

What job would that be then?

Chill out on the sweeping generalisations because that statement in wrong!

A .22lr IS 100% the tool for many jobs I have done. :yes::thumbs:

This one for example! Which part of that says....a .22lr isn't the right tool for the job? :hmm:

post-10759-0-43159500-1309605138_thumb.jpg

Edited by Deker