How did you get into lurchers and running dogs?

I first became properly aware of lurchers at roughly the age of 8/9, my mum and me were on holiday on the west coast of scotland and the owners of the BnB we were staying at had a huge deerhound, I used to get up at half five every morning to take this beast for a walk with its owner, the sight of this thing running full out along the beach was amazing and when it once put up a red deer i was hooked.

Its hard to put into words what makes them so special to me, i think some of it is the almost primeval bond of man and his beast out hunter gathering ( of sorts ) and sticking two fingers up to modern society with their mundane grey lives.

What do you think? :thumbs:

been around running dogs since the day i was born. i was out in the field as soon as i was big enough to keep up. my old man used to have a dog that wouldnt bring the rabbits back my job was to run and fetch every rabbit of the dog.

i supose its all part of the apprenticeship.

keeping lurchers runs in the family so to speak.

hi my dad got a running dog when i was about 10 or 11 we trained her together and my job was to carry the big old battery in an old school bag when we went out (child labour lol) then he got given a dog of about 3 who was ready to go so i got given the bitch so that started my love for lurchers i had a gap from running dogs for a while still had jacks for ratting now have a deerhound beardie greyhound lurcher and love really love watching her running after prey is poetry in motion and i get a big buzz as i think she does its cool to see her in working mode when out and about and she is a good house dog (apart from pinching any food left out in the kitchen but thats my fault :icon_redface: lol) cant imagine not having a lurcher now so promote them for all they are worth cheers willbur

Always had bull breeds + heinz 57's as a kid, used to see gipsies with lurchers when out with our dogs. Saw them one day running rabbits, had a chat to them, but left it at that. Then in 1980, saw a bloke with what i thought was greyhound, run a rabbit on local park by me. The dog didnt catch but only missed by few ins, then jumped this gate to get back to its owner. I said to him you dont see many greyhounds do that, he said not a greyhound it is a lurcher, its got saluki in it with bit of collie, but most is greyhound. Then started to bump into him on few times when out wlking with my bullmastiff. Really liked the lurcher crack, bloke said why dont you get one then. Well as they say the rest is history, funny thing is though that back then , my 1st lurcher was b/w/g, and it could have been my last could not get on with the feckin thing :wallbash: (dont time fly ):thumbs:

I have had an air rifle from as young as I remember, think my old man got me one from the age of 10 or 11. And before that I would be out setting snares and traps and with my catapult. I don't know why, none of my friends or relatives have been into hunting, I guess it's just always been in my blood from somewhere. Alongside the air rifle I always had bull breeds as a kid, staffy and then EBT and tried to get them both ratting with little success.

I have wanted a lurcher since I met a bloke in the village on my paper round at the age of about 15 who had 3 deerhounds, he told me stories about Lamping foxes and coursing hares and I was hooked :-)

I finally took the step about 12 months ago and asked openly on here if anyone would be willing to take me out with there lurchers and show me the ropes. A bloke PMd me and the rest is history :-)

Gaz

When i was a kid, about 12 i think, my next door neibour had a Whippet and a Jack Russel that he used to work. He used to let me go into his garden to shoot his air rifle, and after chatting to him i persuaded him to let me go out with him and his dogs, From the moment i saw that Whippet run, i was hooked, i never realised a dog could be so fast and graceful. It puts a smile on my face every time i see a lurcher go at full pelt, i hope i always get that :yes: . ATB. Neil.

Tbh a a never got leaf in to lurchers just heard tails about lamping and never thought any thing of it till the mother brought me a pup home then when it hit a year old a got a lamp and went out and since then a got my mates into it now they all have dogs

my mates dad use 2 take me and my mate as young as 8 ,we use 2 go he caravan all the time and catch rabbits up the quarry with his terriers and ferrets ,so realy its down 2 my pal and his dad :thumbs:

i got started in 1989 with two terriers and old bsa air riffle and was going round tips and old pit yard ratting and getting odd bunnys and fox then met lads into lurchers and it all started from their was given the most ugly looking whippet x collie greyhound called rocky and boy what a dog on bunny 40 and 50 a trip no bother was in the then shooting news with him when on hunting trip to lairg scotland he got 7 blue hare 15 bunny 2 brown hare and roe buck all in one day them was the good old days and cheers steve for rocky you old sand dancer haha never looked back since or been without a lurcher