Hunt, i agree with you here mate. I will also be very honest and say that i have had on very few occasions the need or wish that i had brought my hard dog to complete a mission due to the ground being impenitrable and i could not reach old Charlie boy. One that springs to mind is a hole we part dug where we encountered a boulder that was frikkin massive, on top of another couple of boulders and no way could we dig this. I could see my wee tyke baying away and Charlies nose could just be seen but could not be reached. We spent about 3 hours fannying about (yes lads, fannying about is the correct term) To me the dog was doing exactly what it is bred to do which is to keep her quarry at bay but on this occasion, this is all she could do. I had to send another guy back to the kennels to bring a slightly different type of terrier in order to stir this up and get the job done. So i will say this time was needed for something different but as always its horses for courses in my book yis Del.

Think he just means they needed a harder dog that would take hold to finish the job the bayer couldn't mate.

so even after you knew the place could not be dug, you went away and got another dog and put him to ground as well in the same spot :blink: .

Think he just meant they needed a dog that would take hold to finish the dig mate

Thanks for that Corky, I did have to have a tougher dog fetched to draw him out as the bayer would not mix. My dogs are not perfect but suit me. If i could have shot the fox with the 22 pistol i wouldave but he was out of site under this boulder and kept nipping out to have a rattle at the bayer and i couldnt do the job required without the other dog. I am not saying the dog was no good but i am saying on this occasion, i would never have got the fox without swapping dogs. I was positive that this fox was in a stop end that i couldnt dig too him and this is the reason i couldnt get to him but i knew that the other dog would draw him or finish him as he was just out of my reach for me to get. I own tuff terriers as well but given half a chance i will almost always use my bolters and i cannot understand why anyone would want to use a staffie or a wheaten after breaking through when a 22 will do the job to perfection in this day and age. Maybe just me gettin old but just my opinion, yis Del.

staffs and wheatens were use in trails and not on fox and their job was to crawl up a man made shout with a couple of turns find their game and draw it out and they were timed and the dogs were given certs for their achievments and then usely the best dog and bitchs were bred from that how they showed their dogs not just walking around a ring on a collar and lead like cheese wire and these trails were approved by the irish kennel club until the antis stuck heir noes's in and fcuk it up for all the lads that proudly entered their dogs and for the really young lads like i was that did'nt see enough of it to really get the full exsperiance to watch realy good hard dogs work on a large scale.ps i dont think many of the lads at that game would have found it easy to get a liecence for a 22 pistol

Thanks for sharing that info mate. Regarding the licence for 22 pistol. If lads cannot obtain this they can own and use a captive bolt legally as i done before i had my firearms, Del.

would you stick your hand up a dark hole to one of them lads to hit him with a captive bolt no bother after the wheaten has drawed out but not before .

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

theres stil sounders about my bitch is goin for her 4th season she mightn be everyones cup of tea but she suits me as i can take her out as often as i like not like all the big hard dogs that only

Lads agreed a lot Of gear can be had with a yapper but a lot of gear will also make a yapper look daft then you'll end up with holes dropped all over the hard vs yapper argument will go on for eterni

TM good quality terriers are gone scarce,let alone sounders,and if you have hard ones you dont want i will gladly take them of your hands.I can remember when i started diging first there was nothing t

Sounder what i meant was years ago you could pick a terrier of the street and take it out and it would work,but that day is gone.How many for sale ads do you see now for unreal money and most of these dogs advertised as workers or from proven workers are in fact just rubbish.As for the amount of diging we get well thats up to the individual who gets his or her dogs out every chance they get.I think a lot of the lads that are moaning about not geting the diging are not puting in the time.Its no good going out for a dig after dinner on a sunday and then straight home to the pup or whatever,you wont get results like that.I know kevem em and neil cooney and a lot more of the lads of here and they are geting the diging they say there geting with ease including ourselves.I know that a few year back neil conney and myself had well over a 100 digs between two bitches,and that was just with them,so it is not hard to build up the numbers.

my point fatman was that there must be good dogs around if lads are gettin all that diggin,you wont get that with plugs.i think your right about pickin a terrier off the street years ago,thats when money wasnt involed in terriers though.

And sadly the word money rears it head yet again true working dog men arnt interested in that but more and more are I aggree once over terriers of a higher calibre were an easy thing to find now the lads that have them keep them between themselves and friends and no amount if money would make then part with one

And sadly the word money rears it head yet again true working dog men arnt interested in that but more and more are I aggree once over terriers of a higher calibre were an easy thing to find now the lads that have them keep them between themselves and friends and no amount if money would make then part with one

Guest THE BEATNICK

................. a gift from a friend in cork, still some good lads that think the same as you hunt.
Guest dee mac

well said and the way it should be imo once you sell a dog thats it you ve washed your hands of it and i think the proper lads think more about the future than a few pound in there pocket that goes just as quick as it goes in were as if you gift a pup too someone genuine all being well you ll hear of its progress for many years and maybe even use it to produce more working dogs for the future :thumbs: plus i never seen a millionare who made it dealing pups and dogs from a back yard.

• Like 1

well said and the way it should be imo once you sell a dog thats it you ve washed your hands of it and i think the proper lads think more about the future than a few pound in there pocket that goes just as quick as it goes in were as if you gift a pup too someone genuine all being well you ll hear of its progress for many years and maybe even use it to produce more working dogs for the future :thumbs: plus i never seen a millionare who made it dealing pups and dogs from a back yard.

When my dogs were stolen a man who is now deceased phoned me out of the blue and offered me a working terrier.He had never met me or knew me just seen the add on edrd for stolen dogs.This same man became a very good friend and although he was in his late 70s and was fighting cancer,he would make the trip up from limerick every 3.or 4 weeks sadly it took him in the end.rip.jimmy but it goes to show there are genuine folk in the diging game.I had bought dogs of different lads and all swore the same thing,but they were all rubbish,not too many sell a good working terrier,i know i would'nt at the end of the day its only a couple hundred euro,gone in no time where as you will have years of sport with your dog all goin well.

Guest dee mac

Mind you nuttall does ok

Lol

he may get a few quid out of it but his hard earned reputation has went down the tiolet and thats what he ll be remembered by which is quite sad

I agree totally with the sentiment of gifting dogs to genuine dog men. Genuine dog men can be hard to find.Ive gifted pups out on the understanding that if not wanted they have to come back to me only to see the same pups a year later for sale on Gumtree.I have even had a boy try to sell a yearling to me that I had given him as a pup.If I had trustworthy dogmen to give all my pups too I would but if none of my mates wanted them I wouldnt give pups away to total strangers.Its not all black and white when it comes to pups no matter how high your morals.

Working terriers is the same as any other sport involving dogs there is always someone in it just for a quick buck,and they dont care who or where they buy and sell let alone care about the animal there selling.I would say a lot of terriers travel up and down the country changing hands maybe 4.4 times before they are kept or pts.In the long run its all about money to them,nothing else and who they can bluff in the process.

At last finally some sense, gift & cull if necessary. I'd sooner cull/keep back what I required than sell. Same goes for folk studding their dogs to anything & everything for the price of a pup :thumbdown:

Id say you hit the nail on the head there regarding the decline of the "terrier on the street" -years ago were poorer times and people couldnt afford to keep dirt-so they probably gave them swimming lessons rather than finding some ape to sell them to.Mind you, we took a lend of a 6 or seven year old pet prick eared ,bent legged old type russell there last season that had never been worked,bred out of a pure cur of a bitch and possibly by any dog in the whole village-by f**k he surprised us all-a right game,hard little dog-its hard to work out .