Why is it that the richest customers are always the tightest ?

I got called up by a local landed gentry type who owns thousands of acres around where I live to sort out a mole problem. It was only one mole in his garden. I told him the price (which wasn't much as it was a quick job within walking distance) and he hmmm'd theatrically for a bit then said ok. When I went to pick up the traps this morning after catching it he starts giving it all this stuff about "the last chap caught 6 and he only charged me £30. What happens when I get another cos I'm not going to keep paying you this every time. Next time I'll pay by the mole (£5)"

I felt like crowning the stuffy twat with my spade but left thinking don't bother ringing me back. If he thinks I'm going to turn out for a fiver then he's f*****g deluded.

It isn't the first time its happened with this "calibre" of customer. Still think they're living in feudal times and that I'm going to doff my hat and say "Yes of course m'lord".

Right, back down off the soapbox now !

• Like 1

I got called up by a local landed gentry type who owns thousands of acres around where I live to sort out a mole problem. It was only one mole in his garden. I told him the price (which wasn't much as it was a quick job within walking distance) and he hmmm'd theatrically for a bit then said ok. When I went to pick up the traps this morning after catching it he starts giving it all this stuff about "the last chap caught 6 and he only charged me £30. What happens when I get another cos I'm not going to keep paying you this every time. Next time I'll pay by the mole (£5)"

I felt like crowning the stuffy twat with my spade but left thinking don't bother ringing me back. If he thinks I'm going to turn out for a fiver then he's f*****g deluded.

It isn't the first time its happened with this "calibre" of customer. Still think they're living in feudal times and that I'm going to doff my hat and say "Yes of course m'lord".

Your thread title answered your question...... :thumbs:

Your thread title answered your question...... :thumbs:

I knew that was coming ! :tongue2:

I know a chap who once caught 7 moles in a garden when asked how much he was owed for the job by a very wealthy client. He said just pay me what you think it's worth he ended up with a tenner for his troubles :laugh::laugh::laugh: But he can afford it :tongue2:

I had the same kind of thing recently as a very well to do woman rang me and explained that they had a very large garden which she liked to keep in immaculate condition only a "b*****d MOLE" had made a right royal mess. Now after much explanation to me about how many moles had invaded her garden and telling me basically how to do my job I asked her where she lived ,It turned out she live nearly 35 miles away so 70 miles there and back twice presuming I had caught it by the folowing day so minimum of 140 miles so when I told her the price she was most upset I explain that my motor takes £70 to fill up and does about 280 miles to a tank so there is £35 just in fuel then there is my insurance wear and tear on the traps and vehicle to consider and the cost of my time as a proffesional mole catcher I quoted her £75.00 which I know some will say is expensive but for the distance to be covered and the f**k about factor I think it is appropriate.

CUSTOMER :I shall have to have a think about it and get back to you,I thought it would be about £20

ME : I tell you what love you can get it it done for free if you like

CUSTOMER :Oh really how do I do that ? Do I ring the council as I would if we had rats?

ME : No love just catch the f*****g thing yourself !!!! Goodbye!!

At which my misses spat most of a glass of red wine all over the kitchen floor and nearly fell over in fits of laughter

f**k em I hate snobs and tight arses a fair wage for a proffesional job is not a great deal to ask is it??

You wouldn't bid a mechanic down on repairing your car would you ???

I had the same kind of thing recently as a very well to do woman rang me and explained that they had a very large garden which she liked to keep in immaculate condition only a "b*****d MOLE" had made a right royal mess. Now after much explanation to me about how many moles had invaded her garden and telling me basically how to do my job I asked her where she lived ,It turned out she live nearly 35 miles away so 70 miles there and back twice presuming I had caught it by the folowing day so minimum of 140 miles so when I told her the price she was most upset I explain that my motor takes £70 to fill up and does about 280 miles to a tank so there is £35 just in fuel then there is my insurance wear and tear on the traps and vehicle to consider and the cost of my time as a proffesional mole catcher I quoted her £75.00 which I know some will say is expensive but for the distance to be covered and the f**k about factor I think it is appropriate.

CUSTOMER :I shall have to have a think about it and get back to you,I thought it would be about £20

ME : I tell you what love you can get it it done for free if you like

CUSTOMER :Oh really how do I do that ? Do I ring the council as I would if we had rats?

ME : No love just catch the f*****g thing yourself !!!! Goodbye!!

At which my misses spat most of a glass of red wine all over the kitchen floor and nearly fell over in fits of laughter

f**k em I hate snobs and tight arses a fair wage for a proffesional job is not a great deal to ask is it??

You wouldn't bid a mechanic down on repairing your car would you ???

Thats the thing with folk though they dont see whats involved. They will see you turn up, set a few traps then go. Turn up the next day and then have your hand out for the money. Its the same with anything.....similar when priceing a fencing job in someones garden, you say your price and they look at you like you've just done a shite in there livingroom....... :icon_eek:

£30 is the minimum anybody should charge to turn up at someone's place and do a job.

Eh, well cop fer this cos i did, a local retired magistrate, asked me do him some gardening jobs last year, nice one i thowt cos im retired and the extra money helps, mowed his massive garden, cleaned out his pool, and cleaned out the gutterings on his huge home, £20 yes twenty miserable quid, i cried all the way home

£30 is the minimum anybody should charge to turn up at someone's place and do a job.

Eh, well cop fer this cos i did, a local retired magistrate, asked me do him some gardening jobs last year, nice one i thowt cos im retired and the extra money helps, mowed his massive garden, cleaned out his pool, and cleaned out the gutterings on his huge home, £20 yes twenty miserable quid, i cried all the way home

well sorry mate but thats your own stupid fault -- agree a price before you start -- feck about when your retired and do self employed gardeners out of work -- the thing self employed people hate most is people doin it on the side .. Edited by the_stig

Some of them are a proper joke. I have had them paying me in fecking coppers, as you can probably guess I politely took the piss, you must always remind them that they are being TIGHT! and that it's not good for their image.