Working Terriers

I first got this book from a library when i left the Army and have been after it ever since, thankfully due to the information superhighway that is the internet, i now have my own copy. :victory:

Now i haven't a clue who Mark Giles is but i admire his honesty and the no frills way he words everthing.Now bare in mind this book was written, or published, in 1988 and as far as i know foxes havent evolved that much in that short period of time, then the type of terrier used then should be the same as today yes ?. :hmm:

As its quite a while since i had a good look through any terrier books, i found myself looking at my dogs and others, with a critical eye and wondering if some of us are starting to evolve larger,heavier terriers that could ultimately be of no use as earth dogs. :(

Interestingly, he likes the same size and conformation as i do, so i'm bound to agree with him :D , he also likes the northern terriers, Borders,Lakeland and fells, and classes Patterdales as the smooth haired bull headed coloured terrier.

Maybe, as stated its because i enjoyed reading the book all those years ago and maybe because i find myself agreeing with the bloke but more than that i admire his honesty and the determination not to get away from the working side of things.

Couple that to the fact i don't know him from Adam and as such dont associate him with an ego trip, i find it a very enjoyable read.

One word of warning , don't let the Hair style put you off and anyone who's read it will know what i mean :whistle: :whistle:

• 2 weeks later...

I tried getting hold of a copy once after reading a mates when i was a kid and the only thing I could find on the net was how much of a naughty boy he'd been with his chickens ;)

The welsh terrier cross in it looks smart

• 2 weeks later...

Got the book, have communicated with Giles, and he has is not Plummer. I agree with Nelson that it is a pretty good book when compared to the rest, most of which have not too much to say. In my two line reviews, it got: "Working Terriers by Mark Giles -- a very good little book printed in 1988 and hard to get. Well written and with some sensible points."

More reviews here for those interested >> http://www.terrierman.com/terrierbooks.htm

P

• 3 months later...
Guest shaheen

How much would a personaly signed copy make?,we knew Mark well when we lived in Kent (hes in Sussex) and he gave my mother a signed copy to her before it was released.