tail docking in ireland

I was just wondering where the law stands as regards docking at the moment..A friend has a litter of glen of imaal pups due and he was asking me-i dock my own pups but want to find out what the situation is for a registered breed.

I was just wondering where the law stands as regards docking at the moment..A friend has a litter of glen of imaal pups due and he was asking me-i dock my own pups but want to find out what the situation is for a registered breed.

far as i know, there is nothing in place with the ikc that requires any proof of who docked the pups? dont quote me on that though.

I would say a lot would depend on the buyer,if they looked for a cert for the pup being docked by a registered vet,some might not even ask but then there's always 1.

that would likely be the case if pups were going over to the uk

a friend of mine brought hes dog before to dock it.the vets told him that its illegal to dock there tails.you should google ask.com.that mite help

Twas a vet told the friend that it was illegal as well,he rang up the i.k.c and they said it was allowed.Thanks for the replies

know a few pups (springers) that are registered with no docking certificate up here in the north so cant see there being a problem

Hi tinytiger, its still ok to dock your pups.The thing is the IKC is working on getting people to stop docking all breeds that are being docked.Most people breeding kc dogs are leaving tails, the thing is that when showing your docked breed with a tail the judges are going to start leaning towards the dogs that are left with a full tail. So if you have a Glenn with a tail when showing and a Glenn docked, the judge will go more for the dog with the tail. These humanitarians and animal cruelty heads want docking to stop. Crufts are hoping that in a couple of years that every dog being shown will have a full tail. So there all trying to manipulate the situation at the minute.Some of the breeders of kc dogs are leaving there tails and when you want to buy a pup,they will tell you that in a couple of years you wont be able to show it in crufts.I seen an add for british bulldogs in cork with full tails and the crufts thing was part of the sales pitch.When they are older you cant show them in crufts docked. Its the show thing ruining things again. Dock away