are lurcher only any for winter work

well the way I look at it,once the hunting seasons over the dogs are on long term vacation.I bring some of the more sociable ones to the beach,I do a bit of shooting in the hills for rabbits where winter hunting is not possible due to rock and shale.The kelpie comes along as my retriever,then theres the forestry walks,the hill walking and general exploration of new ground for next season.I hunt the feral goat where the kelpie assists in finding any that need finding.The more unsociable are walked in the forestry under strict supervision,I just keep em reasonably fit,but proper hunting is off the agenda till October.

• Like 4

well the way I look at it,once the hunting seasons over the dogs are on long term vacation.I bring some of the more sociable ones to the beach,I do a bit of shooting in the hills for rabbits where winter hunting is not possible due to rock and shale.The kelpie comes along as my retriever,then theres the forestry walks,the hill walking and general exploration of new ground for next season.I hunt the feral goat where the kelpie assists in finding any that need finding.The more unsociable are walked in the forestry under strict supervision,I just keep em reasonably fit,but proper hunting is off the agenda till October.

I agree with you there jigsaw i think they need a nice long vaccation keeps them ready for the season :thumbs:

My dogs are out probably every day of the year BUT not hunting.Come September they'll be worked hard and they'll be needing there R+R come the end of February just as I will.

People go on about starting dogs young etc but its not good for Lurchers do be run hard in the summer months when temps can reach 20 degrees even at night. :thumbs:

and also the untold damage to ligaments tendons toes and wrists :thumbdown:

when the dog has had a good season and has pleased you in its efforts its good to spoil them too and bond that bit more with them.Treat them like pets for the summer,they'll be workers again for the winter and will do anything you request.Well thats what I find anyway.

• Like 2

some lads still need a dog to help with pest control, im lucky as i can use an airgun on some spots in summer but i have a new spot that is dog only and they want rabbits off all yr round, if i dont summer hunt them then someone else will.

its a nice spot that could lead to more, so would you lads turn it down...

i think not, i havnt.

a few more rainy days and the groundwill be nice enough to run a dog over

gotta agree with bbb pest control isn't winter only, whilst out for a walk with the local greenkeeper we'd picked up a dozen rabbits and stopped for a chat with the neighbouring farmer and after commenting on the amount of rabbits coming onto the course from his land the chap agreed to let me help control his, on acres and acres of sandy ground backing onto dunes with a real rabbit problem 10 minutes from home,doesn't get any better. overheating dogs for me aren't a problem if your out at 4am also by being fussy on what burrows are worked iv'e managed 3hrs ferreting and having a coffee (free and made by the greenkeeper) by 7.30 4 times this month. pest control, sport, exercising the dogs, gaining new ground I cant see the downside

maybe my lurchers are year round lurchers not part timers, maybe running on slippy frozen ground in winter is worse than well watered golf courses, maybe nature provides these slower (pregnant and young) rabbits to give a young dog confidence or to help feed our baby ferrets, whatever its not black and white its what suits the individual

i take my dogs out every morning and every night winter and summer , working in winter and just walking in summer :thumbs:

How is that dog bred mick? l like the look of him, carries himself well and looks confident :thumbs: