kenneling

if you have more than one dog what suits best when kenneling together,obviously if dog and bitch you need seperation at some point,bitch on heat, but generaly what do you have kenneled together and what works best for you.

i have a 3 year old bitch kenneled but the 3 month old dog pup seperate,to be honest she is good as gold with other dogs/bitches when out and about but the pup pisses her off with its constant mouth licking so il keep it that way at the moment but iv recently had the pup out and about with our staffie cross dog(pet) and they are bang into each other,play all day never a cross word so to speak so think il end up kenneling these two together.

i did have litter sisters years ago that tried killing each other very early on and had to be seperated just wondered what works for you cheers :thumbs:

i have a small whippet in with me terrier both are bitches and always been grand together. I have other dogs but kenneled seperate.

To be honest i could put any adult dog in with the bitches and not be a problem, i wouldn't trust my big dog with another male, but any bitch he is fine with.thumbs.gif

ive had 2 bitches fight in a kennel when there on heat think its a jealousy thing mainly just a quick little rumble then all over,but ive had bitches get on grand with each other dogs and bitches kennel great with each other the worse one i knew of was me mates bullcross bitch she killed 2 terriers that she was kenneled with great one minute switched the next not good bit of trate she had she isnt here now but she was an ace dog apart from that :thumbs:

i kennel my terrier dog and bitch together, tried to split them but when i do the dog howls and the bitch refuses food. cant trust either to be kenneled with any other dog, only time i split them is when i work them and when shes in heat. the youngsters are kenneled seperate.

i have my 2 wheaten x bitchs and my 3/4 g/hound 1/4 collie in one pen 2 whippet dogs a lakey dog a russell bitch and a patterdale bitch pup in the same pen and a staff x pbt/masstiff dog and a glen x patterdale bitch running the yard they keep the robbing b******ds away i get the odd disagreement but never anything to serious

I have three pure kelpies which are all kenneled together without any problems (touch wood). However, the oldest is an entire male and the younger two are spayed bitches so no competition between them. Youngest is just coming up for four and there's roughly a four year gap between each. However, I'm considering moving "the old fart" indoors this winter so it will be interesting to see if that changes the dynamics, though it shouldn't do as he's top dog anyway.

Edited by Neal

I have all 3 together, never a cross word . . . . that said the kennel is more a compound than a kennel and run. Its a massive shed with sofas in and a dog flap then approx 5M X 7M fenced area outside. So there's ample room for them to get out of each others way. TBH they all get fed raw out in the garden and i don't supervise them, they respect the hierachy of the pack and do not challenge it . . . . . the odd occasion they disagree its never a cause for concern. :thumbs:

Watchman if yoru worried about space . . send the pup over to me and i'll look after him for you! :whistling::tongue2:

I have all 3 together, never a cross word . . . . that said the kennel is more a compound than a kennel and run. Its a massive shed with sofas in and a dog flap then approx 5M X 7M fenced area outside. So there's ample room for them to get out of each others way. TBH they all get fed raw out in the garden and i don't supervise them, they respect the hierachy of the pack and do not challenge it . . . . . the odd occasion they disagree its never a cause for concern. :thumbs:

Watchman if yoru worried about space . . send the pup over to me and i'll look after him for you! :whistling::tongue2:

iv got more than enough space but thanks anyway :laugh: its just nice for him to be in with something that will take care of him against an un-wanted visitor so to speak :thumbs:

i`ve never kenelled 2 dogs together ...

Spot on, iv'e made the mistake of kenneling dogs together in the past that appeared fine for years, never again.......

Same here had two dogs kenneled together for years ,one day they turned that corner and they hated each other around the house from then on.

When you keep sight hounds that can kill other k9s like Stags your best bet is keep them separate.