Best .22 pellets for getting rabbits?

On 22/05/2013 at 20:29, delswal said:

rabbits at 15ft shot with a 11.96 ft lb betwen the eyes and it never killed them ????

Moral of the story, air guns are marginal as killing tools for rabbit sized targets at non FAC (your words)

heres my words ........." your full of bull " ......try stamp collecting ...."IDIOT"

No I'm not full of bull. They were shot from a vehicle in a field and never moved away from the vehicle, hence the close distances involved.

As for the injuries, in each case the pointed 30 grain hunting pellet had entered the skull and the rabbit was there alive. In each case I had to get out of the vehicle, reload and shoot it again in the head from point blank. As soon as I realised it wasn't a fluke or bad luck but a genuine issue with the weapon I stopped shooting so as to avoid causing any further suffering to anything. I have no desire to shoot anything in a manner that doesn't cause instant death. The result from each of these shots was totally unexpected as I expected from close range with a heavy pellet death would be instantaneous.

I have been shooting myself on and off, for around 30 years albeit this is the 1st time I've taken an air rifle hunting. I hold a SC.

My friend who was with me is very experienced - he has a pre-charged air rifle, 3 shot guns, .22LR, .223, .30-06 all on completely open tickets. He also commented on the apparent problems and this in turn triggered me to get the gun chrono'ed at the local gunshop. When it showed 11.9ft lbs at the gunshop, I sold the gun, albeit I now accept the ammo was probably to blame. I can only put it down to lack of velocity due to the pellet weight although you would think the heavier weight would have caused a greater hit from such close range.

All in all, I had the gun for less than 1 week because of that as I'm not prepared to cause injury to anything, hence the reason I sold. Given what others have said, I put it down to pellet choice now rather than the gun, albeit a 30 grain hunting pellet seeemed a good choice at the time. Maybe the gun shop should have advised better on pellet choice. Either way, I did the responsible thing.

Edited by Alsone

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He said that himself personally wouldn't. I ask where you live, as I would take you out and educate u , to put a stop to the shit your spouting on here. As regards to success rate..everyone misses

Ps, 3 ft lb is need to dispatch a rabbit apparently..my gun set at 660fps with 11.4 gr slug, still has nearly 4 ft lb of energy at 120 yards...I'm not saying I would, but power is there, accuracy is p

Mate don't usually comment on these sort of threads but come on " I'll stick to real guns",, really?. I've been in the forces so before you comment Idon't know what real guns are think on . We all hav

This was the air rile concerned and despite reported recent problems with these, mine did make 11.9ft lbs on the chrono (it's probably 10 years now since the incident):

http://www.johnforsey.co.uk/agwprecharged_gunpower_stealth.html

gunpower_stealth_500.gif

..and yep the bottle was fully charged so it definately came down to the pellet choice so far as I can tell.

Edited by Alsone
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...
On 23/05/2013 at 10:18, Alsone said:

No I'm not full of bull. They were shot from a Rav 4 in a field and never moved away from the vehicle, hence the close distances involved.

As for the injuries, in each case the pointed 30 grain hunting pellet had entered the skull and the rabbit was there alive, still stood upright and writhing its head around in agony covered in blood. In each case I had to get out of the vehicle, reload and shoot it again in the head from point blank. After 3 rabbits, I realised it wasn't a fluke or bad luck but a genuine issue with the weapon and stopped shooting so as to avoid causing any further suffering to anything. I have no desire to shoot anything in a manner that doesn't cause instant death. The result from each of these shots was totally unexpected as I expected from close range with a heavy pellet death would be instantaneous.

I have been shooting myself on and off, for around 30 years albeit this is the 1st time I've taken an air rifle hunting. I hold a SC.

My friend who was with me is very experienced - he has a pre-charged air rifle, 3 shot guns, .22LR, .223, .30-06 all on completely open tickets. He also commented on the apparent problems and this in turn triggered me to get the gun chrono'ed at the local gunshop. When it showed 11.9ft lbs at the gunshop, I sold the gun, albeit I now accept the ammo was probably to blame. I can only put it down to lack of velocity due to the pellet weight.

All in all, I had the gun for less than 1 week because of that as I'm not prepared to cause injury to anything, hence the reason I sold. Given what others have said, I put it down to pellet choice now rather than the gun, albeit a 30 grain hunting pellet seeemed a good choice at the time.

As a relative noob to airgunning, with no hunting experience, I stumbled on to this thread whilst seeking information on soft tissue damage caused by 22 airgun pellets, as against a 177. I have no wish to initiate the old 177 v 22 debate but on reading your post, couldn't help but wonder if shot placement (between the eyes) was more the problem than the gun, or pellet, that you were using. 

• Like 1
On 23/05/2013 at 10:18, Alsone said:

No I'm not full of bull. They were shot from a Rav 4 in a field and never moved away from the vehicle, hence the close distances involved.

As for the injuries, in each case the pointed 30 grain hunting pellet had entered the skull and the rabbit was there alive, still stood upright and writhing its head around in agony covered in blood. In each case I had to get out of the vehicle, reload and shoot it again in the head from point blank. After 3 rabbits, I realised it wasn't a fluke or bad luck but a genuine issue with the weapon and stopped shooting so as to avoid causing any further suffering to anything. I have no desire to shoot anything in a manner that doesn't cause instant death. The result from each of these shots was totally unexpected as I expected from close range with a heavy pellet death would be instantaneous.

My friend who was with me is very experienced - he has a pre-charged air rifle, 3 shot guns, .22LR, .223, .30-06 all on completely open tickets. He also commented on the apparent problems and this in turn triggered me to get the gun chrono'ed at the local gunshop. When it showed 11.9ft lbs at the gunshop, I sold the gun, albeit I now accept the ammo was probably to blame. I can only put it down to lack of velocity due to the pellet weight.

All in all, I had the gun for less than 1 week because of that as I'm not prepared to cause injury to anything, hence the reason I sold. Given what others have said, I put it down to pellet choice now rather than the gun, albeit a 30 grain hunting pellet seeemed a good choice at the time.

If the pellet penetrated the head it wasn't the pellet or the gun that was at fault it was your shot placement. 

you need to hit the brain, or the spinal cord to get an outright kill with a headshot. Not just anywhere in the head. 

• 9 months later...
  • 5 months later...