what age

Guest ryan161

Guest ryan161

Everything in moderation, as the man said they can be used to good effect when used as part of a fitness programme, seen then used as a good cardio workout with a different type of animal

the problem with any fitness training is that you need to know what your doing, its not something you make up as you go along or you could do more harm than good,

you dont need to develop a fit pup anyway, pup is programmed to express him physically through play, if you watch two pups playing, running only plays a small part in the activity,,physical contact is huge and a big part in development and forming bonds, play with the mutt, its what the pup needs more than anything,,best of luck with the pup

well i will say this i would not put a 6 month pup on a treadmill and dont know anyone who would it is not fully developed yet so leave the mill alone and let the pup grow and mature before you do!!!!! but anyway you asked for good advice im giving it ,, anyone who has had dogs will tell you the same .

this is what i am saying i no he is to young you dont need to tell me that what i side was (what age would you start runing them at)

ok ill answer that ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,never why would i want to like most my dogs get enough exersise without a mill

MATE NO WHAT f**k OFF :feck: :feck: SUM D.CKHEADS ON HERE

no need to swear , it obvious to most reading this you aint the brightest star in the sky.. so just run along now these a good lad :laugh:

HAHA GOOD 1 MATE :icon_redface: :icon_redface: BALL BAG :bye:

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Reasons why NOT to run a lurcher on a treadmill:   Running in a straight line on the same surface all the time doesn't build agility, suppleness, nor does it toughen the feet and pads like regular e

Skycat     No, but it builds wind, needed for stamina.     Pish. Building muscle requires resistance, unless the dog was running on a constant incline running on a treadmill will not build "bo

Someone turn this thread around now and ask those who talk some shite on here the relevant questions as how muscle is developed from using a mill,then ask why ALL the top coursing greyhound men in Ir

i dont know about treadmills been boring for dogs because every dog i have put on 1 or seen on 1 couldnt wait to get on it............. :hmm:

and i think ull find that pretty much every person who slaggs people off for using treadmills have never used 1 or seen 1 used........FACT

• Like 3
Guest Darth Vador

Reasons why NOT to run a lurcher on a treadmill:

Running in a straight line on the same surface all the time doesn't build agility, suppleness, nor does it toughen the feet and pads like regular exercise on roads and varied terrain would.

Running on a treadmill might build big muscles which are OK if you just want your dog to look like a body builder, but bulging muscles can actually be a disadvantage when the dog is trying to catch an animal which has adapted to run and survive without having those bulging muscles. Imagine a 100 metre sprint runner trying to run cross country for miles: they'd be knackered in a very short space of time.

Running on a treadmill also does nothing for the dog's state of mind. Exercise should be all about stimulating the mental side of the dog as well as its body. Varied walks in different places at different speeds is what pups need. Playing with a flirt pole, or dummy or ball: all those things will build up quick reactions, quick brain, agility, toughness and stamina, far better than trotting or cantering along on a tread mill, which has to be the most boring thing for a dog imaginable. Humans might want to run on the same spot for miles, but I wouldn't inflict it on a dog in a million years.

The only place for a tread mill IMO, is if the weather is so bad outside and the dog recovering from an injury, that 20 minutes gentle trotting on a mill would at least get the blood moving round the body in very regulated environment.

Please explain to me how it would build muscle?

Everything in moderation, as the man said they can be used to good effect when used as part of a fitness programme, seen then used as a good cardio workout with a different type of animal

the problem with any fitness training is that you need to know what your doing, its not something you make up as you go along or you could do more harm than good,

you dont need to develop a fit pup anyway, pup is programmed to express him physically through play, if you watch two pups playing, running only plays a small part in the activity,,physical contact is huge and a big part in development and forming bonds, play with the mutt, its what the pup needs more than anything,,best of luck with the pup

well i will say this i would not put a 6 month pup on a treadmill and dont know anyone who would it is not fully developed yet so leave the mill alone and let the pup grow and mature before you do!!!!! but anyway you asked for good advice im giving it ,, anyone who has had dogs will tell you the same .

this is what i am saying i no he is to young you dont need to tell me that what i side was (what age would you start runing them at)

ok ill answer that ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,never why would i want to like most my dogs get enough exersise without a mill

MATE NO WHAT f**k OFF :feck: :feck: SUM D.CKHEADS ON HERE

Ha Ha Ha - f**k me I'd have put money on this!!!! Brilliant!!!!! :snack: Pull up a chair!!!!

Someone turn this thread around now and ask those who talk some shite on here the relevant questions as how muscle is developed from using a mill,then ask why ALL the top coursing greyhound men in Ireland use some form of mill and I bet the answers will be ferkin amusing.Does it build stamina?why if its so boring do the dogs jump up on the machine even before its turned on.....strange that one.

• Like 4

In all fairness to the lad, he only asked out of concern for his pup WHEN it would be ok to start it on a mill . . . . .. he has stated he uses the mill as an aid to exercise and fitness, when combined with walking, which is exactly what they should be used for. :thumbs:

• Like 2
Guest ryan161

Someone turn this thread around now and ask those who talk some shite on here the relevant questions as how muscle is developed from using a mill,then ask why ALL the top coursing greyhound men in Ireland use some form of mill and I bet the answers will be ferkin amusing.Does it build stamina?why if its so boring do the dogs jump up on the machine even before its turned on.....strange that one.

:thumbs: :thumbs:

Guest ryan161

In all fairness to the lad, he only asked out of concern for his pup WHEN it would be ok to start it on a mill . . . . .. he has stated he uses the mill as an aid to exercise and fitness, when combined with walking, which is exactly what they should be used for. :thumbs:

thanks mate thats how bad it is you cant even ask a question on here thanks mate :thumbs:

Some Right ones,How can a treadmill be bad if used correctly?How can me being able to give my dog a controlled canter, gallop at the speed and length of time, I think they need,be bad. The lad asked for advice and got bull,I would say take it easy untill after its first birthday.

• Like 1
Guest ryan161

Some Right ones,How can a treadmill be bad if used correctly?How can me being able to give my dog a controlled canter, gallop at the speed and length of time, I think they need,be bad. The lad asked for advice and got bull,I would say take it easy untill after its first birthday.

thanks mate how long would use run a mature lurcher for on the mill and how many times a week and like you side mate take easy with the pup the same again how long would you give them on it?? cheers mate :thumbs:

ive never used a mill,but i'd think when the pup starts to mature you could put him on it for very short periods just to get him used to it,i mean well before any fitness training comes into it just so he knows what to do when the time comes.

• Like 1

Anything less than a fully mature dog should only be doing a couple of minutes at most and at a slow speed just for them to get used to it. You should leave them wanting to do more, if you start to stretch them physically then they may get bad associations with it, it should be nothing more than a bit of fun with plenty of encouragement and praise.

I admit I've never used a treadmill myself: reason? It is better fun for me and the dog for me to get on a bike and go at a controlled speed so the dog is either trotting steadily or cantering steadily. Any form of steady, continuous exercise builds muscle. I've actually built too much muscle on a lurcher by cantering her slowly beside the bike, for miles, before I knew better. She could run great in a straight line, but lacked the suppleness when twisting and turning on a hare. It wasn't until I reduced the cantering in a straight line and let her do more free running that she lost that muscle bound look and was able to really twist and turn with the agility she needed.

Let's face it: coursing greyhounds are all about speed and more speed: most of the points are gained on the run up, and there aren't too many turns before the hare is lost, or very rarely, caught. Single handed coursing dogs running across open country, as opposed to on the running ground where the hare has been driven, are likely to have a much longer course than a coursing greyhound run doubled up.

So yes, a treadmill would be fine for a coursing greyhound, but not, IMO, for a lurcher or any dog which is actually supposed to catch the hare as opposed to just course it to score points in a competition under National Coursing Club rules.

post-1960-1206302720_thumb.jpg

That must be where Craig was going wrong with his conditioning....Foxy and her sister Rosie. Foxy was never beaten in over 60 matches. How good would she have been if she hadn't been spoilt by the use of a mill?

That said I wouldn't rush to get a pup going on one. Lots of free running and play chasing are what pups thrive on but once they're grown the mill is a usefull tool, especially in bad weather or when you work long hours.

I wouldn't call a joiner a lazy git because he has the sense to use a cordless driver in preference to an old fashioned screw driver!

• Like 4