Birthday buck with john robbo.

Well after two failed attempts to bag a buck for my birthday in the past week (once with john and once else where) I finally got lucky today.

It wasn't that promising a start as just as i arrived at johns the winds that were forecast and had been all to present last night picked up out of nowhere. With a quick change of plans we headed off to a bit of ground closer to johns that would be a little more sheltered than was planned.

We arrived at the ground and left the truck and proceeded to stalk an area where john had seen a couple of bucks in the last week. The plan was to have a look around this patch to see if anything showed and if not head to a part of the estate where john had had a tip off of a buck that had been seen two days in a row by someone foxing.

Anyway the initial stalk was unfruitful despite it looking like a place that if i were a deer I would want to be but we did spot a fox that was about as spooked as us as it bolted about 15 yards away. However it was getting towards the time the buck had been seen so we headed over to the high seat glassing areas as we went to no avail. We were in the high seat for 5.40 as that was around the time the buck had been seen and sat in wait. As time slowly passed we were both starting to doubt the odds of a buck showing as the weather just didn't see right. It was about 6.20 when all of a sudden there was a flash of redish brown moving fast towards us from the wood. Both quickly realising it was a buck I got ready to make the shot when the chance presented. The buck made his way towards us fairly fast presenting a few potential shots as he did so but I opted not to take them as they were a little far and john was sure he was heading our way anyway. Buck fever started to build and I could tell it was only going to get worse so when the buck stopped broad side at about 110 yards I took a couple of last breaths to try and steady myself, lined up the cross hairs and squeezed the trigger. A nice shot reaction followed and I quickly reloaded not giving john a chance for the prompt and the buck fell about 10-20 yards from where he was shot. At this point my heart was racing and I was over the moon to have bagged my birthday buck even if he was 5 days late. He's a nice little six pointer and im boiling down the skull as we speak and will post some pics of the head when i've pressure washed him.

IMG_0049.jpg

IMG_0063.jpg

George

• Like 1

Well done George, and get that big lad shot you have at home. :thumbs:

Do you want the video putting up? should be ok one of the arses has one now. :big_boss:

Yeah john please post the vid i think most people will struggle to pick a whole in a video of a heart and lung shot at only 110m from a high seat.

George

You would be suprised george.

its had a good welcome on other forums from very respected posters, not like some of the pretenders on here. :whistling:

You maybe shouldn't have shot your birthday buck lad you said on your post you could feel the shakes.

I heard you take two deep breaths(settled yourself) and slide the saftey off, thats when i told you to take it. Job done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPBDHEFz7qk

well done mate. :victory:

Edited by john robbo