Couple of bunnies this morning

Now then airgunners!

Had a call from the landowner on one of my permissions yesterday morning saying he was desperate for me to come back and have another go at the bunnies in his garden.

I used to call into him at least once a week, but since my job changed, I'm not often in the area any more, and it's around a hours drive.

Anyway, I told him I'd love to but was a bit short of change for fuel 'no worries' he said, 'it's about time I started contributing!'

With that sorted, I let him know that I'd be there at around 6.30 this morning.

Pulled into the gateway, got the .177 Ultra Tactical out of it's slip and loaded up with an FX pellet. Took a little walk around the side of the house to one of the regular 'hot-spots'. Nothing seemed to be there, but as I slowly walked on, a three quarters grown rabbit appeared, running away from me. I shouldered the rifle and watched through the scope. Sure enough, bugs paused after about 10 yards. It was facing away from me, but I was able to get a clean shot on the back of it's skull. Standing shot, 28 yards (paced).

I left that one, and walked slowly around the side of the big barn. Did a full circle of the property, and then spotted a big buck feeding up by the gate, near to where my car was. I slowly got myself within range, and dropped him at 35 yards, again from standing.

Had a quick cuppa with the landowner, and then settled down behind some bushes over looking his garden. Not 10 minutes passed when a kit appeared. Under strict instructions to kill them all, I steadied my crosshairs. At that exact moment, the builders arrived, got out of their van and started talking, putting the kit to ground!

Decided to call it a day for safety's sake at that point and collected up my bunnies for the picture. In the 40 minutes or so since I shot the first one, something had pecked out both of it's eyes!! I honestly think his chickens are to blame, but I've shot a few crows and jackdaws here in the past, so that's one to maybe consider for another day!

Here's the bag:

ultra2bunnies.jpg

Close up of one of the pecked out eyes...

eyespeckedout.jpg

Cheers for reading.

Good 40 mins butt! At least yu got lunch sorted!

Looks a nice light gun?

Whats your oppinion between .22 and .177, as far as rabbits is concerned?

I have been thinking of going down to .177 myself, as I was told they are more acurate, is this right?

Good 40 mins butt! At least yu got lunch sorted!

Looks a nice light gun?

Whats your oppinion between .22 and .177, as far as rabbits is concerned?

I have been thinking of going down to .177 myself, as I was told they are more acurate, is this right?

The Ultra is a lovely lightweight rifle, very well balanced too.

As far as calibre goes, I don't really have a preference. I have three rifles, and the Ultra is the only .177 - I took it this morning purely because it was the one I fancied using, not because it's more accurate or I prefer it.

The idea that .177 is more accurate is a myth. A .177 pellet flies at a flatter trajectory than a .22 pellet, and this makes it more forgiving when estimating range, but that's all. There's been loads written about the subject on this forum.

Thanks for the comments.

Edited by Ron Weasley

Nice shooting Ron, I used to shoot at a couples back garden. A couple of years ago i shot 50 rabbits in one year !! But now they have never made a come back, which is good news for them but not for me. Ha ha

ATB Mark