Feeding Rabbits to Lurchers

used to feed this way years ago,but to minimise the risk of worms/infection freeze them first I got an old chest freezer in the garage,just gutted them and cut off the feet(to get more in the freezer),and never had any problems probarbly cause of the fur/fibre stopping tapeworms from latching on to the intestine wall,after all its how they should eat.

oh yes also heard somewhere that raw rabbit bones are equal to red meat nutritionaly.

Guest game'dogs

i dont feed my pup rabbit with bones because i am scared of her choking could this happen?

i suppose its personal preference really, when ive fed rabbits in the past ive always skinned and gutted them and just chucked it to the dogs, as roz said the dogs have a built in mincer, i supose theres always a risk of them choking when feeding bone especially with pups as they wont have the same jawpower as an adult, i once had a terrier that choked on a piece of cheese so the possibilty is there, just recently after my whippet lost abit of weight i was advised to boil the rabbit in a big pan with some cabbage/carrot/leek/onion/lamb mince/beef mince and chicken and make a big stew, he's loving it and the weight is coming back, as i said mate its personal preference, what ever suits you, hope this helps :good:

onion and leek is bad for a dog so if you leave that out it will be a good diet for putting the weight on a dog mate :thumbs-up: as for rabbits i fed raw and since i cant keep up with the gready basterds i have to feed them what they catch i dont have the opertunity to freeze them which i would prefer to do to keep the cost down on wormers but if you work it out the price of running a freezer for a the same peroiod of time as you worm a dog in then it is easyer to just spend the cash on wormers though you are not putting chemicals in the dogs body every so often by freezing the meat first ! the only thing i dont like about feeding with the fur on even though i have done it myself is ! that it may make the dog have a wee munch out of sight on a kill , afterall you wont be there to stop it doing so , but as for feeding rabbits raw with the fur off i see only benafits from doing so :good: :showoff:

i dont feed my pup rabbit with bones because i am scared of her choking could this happen?

Ive fed mine on raw rabbit and chicken carcases for a while now,when i started i also worried about them choking as i was brought up in a world of pet dogs and tinned grub.Chuck them a rabbit mate,they will look better on it.

i always feed mine what they catch just skin and gut them dont know if this is true but a old fella told me a while back always skin/ gut / remove head first before feeding to your dogs otherwise when the dog is out in field and he starts seeing that rabbit as dinner hes not going to give it up for you would you give your dinner up for someone else lol this fella was in his seventies with a good story or two