Feeding Rabbits to Lurchers

After reading previous posts I see that people feed their dogs on rabbit.

How to you feed them? Just skin and gut them and feed the whole rabbit or do you remove all the meat from the bones?

Also, does it do any harm? Someone once told me not to feed rabbits to dogs but they never said why.

I feed all my dogs on rabbit as much a posible Gut them leave the jackets and heads on but keep a good worming regime. Ferrets had the same but always left the heads never produced a hard mouthed dog or a bad ferret just health animals who would work harder if they knew what is coming at the end of the day.

Simon

I feed the ferrets on whole rabbits. Don't skin or gut them as they get nutriants from the guts etc(so I have been told) but I do worm them reguarly.

Never really thought about feeding them to the dogs.

Think i'll give it a go.

i dont feed my pup rabbit with bones because i am scared of her choking could this happen?

i suppose its personal preference really, when ive fed rabbits in the past ive always skinned and gutted them and just chucked it to the dogs, as roz said the dogs have a built in mincer, i supose theres always a risk of them choking when feeding bone especially with pups as they wont have the same jawpower as an adult, i once had a terrier that choked on a piece of cheese so the possibilty is there, just recently after my whippet lost abit of weight i was advised to boil the rabbit in a big pan with some cabbage/carrot/leek/onion/lamb mince/beef mince and chicken and make a big stew, he's loving it and the weight is coming back, as i said mate its personal preference, what ever suits you, hope this helps :good:

if is a big word.....if your dog is going to be a working dog then it's going to face bigger risks than feeding on a raw rabbit.

:yes::yes::yes: ..........Spot on Stabs ;)

IF....IF.....IF...............If your sister had bollocks, she would be your brother! :D:D

J

JUST LET THEM OUT THE KENNEL MATE . GIVE MINE RAW WITH HEAD AND SKIN OFF BUT FURY FEET LEFT ON. OUT THE KENNEL ONE GOES ONE WAY WITH HER BIT AND THE OTHER GOES HER WAY.

Mine seem to like the feet for some strange reason :yes: