ferret waste

Shavings take years to break down properly: not like straw or hay. I moved an old muck heap recently which was 2 years old, and the shavings were only just beginning to break down! Be a good mulch if your earth is very light and dries out quickly, but otherwise be prepared to wait!

i have been composting my ferrets waste for the last couple of year but it hasnt been breaking down as well as i'd like, the shavings that is. how does everyone else do it??

Thanks

Rob

nieghbours wheely bin :whistling:

• Like 2

Shavings are useless as said they take ages to breakdown hence never go for manure for the garden from a stable .I put mine in a metal bin lined with a black bag and then put it in the black council bin

yeah i have thought of using other materials for the litter like leafmould or finer sawdust, has anyone done this. they probably wont absorb as much unless i dried it first but at least they would break down. i used to burn it when i first started but being quite wet (the waste not me) i found i needed a big fire or old oil to get it to burn and it stank when it did, maybe drying it then burning would be an option. i thought it would be easier to ask first before i start experimenting.

bedding; straw and paper can be composted or burnt easy enough its mainly the litter and shit that is the problem

Thanks

Rob

Thecshavings are usually pine , I don't have any probs dumping them at the tip , back to pine shavings the only thing that grows in a pine forest is well pine and a bit of braken so even toted down will be very acidic not to good for the garden

Id be a little worried about what your growing in your composted ferret waste

surely you'vre heard that you shouldent use waste from carnivors (meat eaters) in compost, as it can grow bacteria

Id be a little worried about what your growing in your composted ferret waste

surely you'vre heard that you shouldent use waste from carnivors (meat eaters) in compost, as it can grow bacteria

Yes there are risks involved, if it is not done correctly, but having read up quite a lot on the process of thermophillic composting and its effect on the pathogens which exist within the feces of carnivorous animals i feel happy ennough putting it on and around plants that are not directly consumed, however it is more than safe around fruit and berry tree/bushes etc'humanure handbook' is a very interesting read for anyone curious. in asian countries they have been spreading raw human waste directly on fields for millenia with very few problem as a result. not advising it mind, just on observation. its all about temperature and heat if theres not enough of one you need more of the other. i am going to built another holding bin to make sure the compost stands for longer to reduce the risk even further.

Thank you for your concern and it is a valid point. it should not be done without research of some kind so you can understand the risks.

Its a good point about the pine shavings, i might look into getting hold of a steady supply of hardwood shavings to reduce the acidity, being quite resinous might be increasing the length of time it is taking for the wood to break down as well.

Thanks guys, looks like some more experimenting is required. as i still want to compost the waste and not put it to landfill.

Rob

Edited by ellir0305