Last WWI combat veteran dies aged 110

there cant be many of the old heros left now.true heroes cant imagine what hardship and constant shelling these guys went through.pointless bloody war and a generation nearly wiped out.like someone wrote once.

"lions led by donkeys"!

That was a golden generation just wish mine and the the people younger than me were still taught what they went through for us I just can't imagine 14/15 year old lads of tday flocking to sign up like they did and now there is none of them left they will be forgotten by even more

that must be a very intresting read,, his memoirs,, his wife only died 3 years ago,, so she must have been a good age as well, being as they had been married 76 years :notworthy: even one of his daughters is 86.

real hero.

This guy likely fought in WW2 too ..these old soldiers fought for you and me to have the life we have ..never forget

"During World War II he was chief demolition officer for the western half of Australia. It would have been his responsibility to blow up the key strategic harbour of Fremantle, near Perth, if Japan had invaded."

I found this bit interesting;

"But despite his military record, Mr Choules became a pacifist. He was known to have disagreed with the celebration of Australia's most important war memorial holiday, Anzac Day, and refused to march in the annual commemoration parades."

Says alot about what war does to a man.

RIP the ol boy.....apparently he had previously said he had absolutely no regrets about any part of his life and had led what he considered to be the perfect and complete life.

What a lovely thing to be able to say.

RIP the ol boy.....apparently he had previously said he had absolutely no regrets about any part of his life and had led what he considered to be the perfect and complete life.

What a lovely thing to be able to say.

:yes: Im only only young and even I have regrets, not things I have done but things I wish I had. Its a shame people like him arnt made into the idols of the younger generation they should be.

Yeah true heroes, not like the sporting figures that frequently get tagged as heroes these days. I remember talking to a veteran of the somme and he told me there wasnt a moment during that conflict that he wasnt scared shitless, didnt stop him doing his duty though, that is the mark of a true hero. Shame they didnt return to a land fit for heroes.