coursing

i use my 3/4 greyhound 1/4 border collie when i go coursing dont do half as much with him now because he is 9 years old but he still get's the odd run on them .he would'nt have many turns out of them may be eight or 9 but he was great at catching them but he sired a litter of pups to a saluki/greyhound x irish terrier/greyhound bitch and the 2 pups that a friend of mine has now have turned out to be cracking little coursing, lamping ,bushing and ferreting bitch's and they would hold their own against most mainly saluki bred in the coursing feild.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

good dogs will run and kill them anywhere,but as sum of the men have stated its horses for coures, but the real goodins you can take them anywhere,a lot of the best dogs in england wud struggle in ire

Mark H AKA Markbrick

This one was pretty good,, whipp/grey x deer/grey,, she cought them regular,, very fast bitch with a good strike, about 3 mins in the tank  

anyone on here ever used greyhound whippet i know this cross with a saluki in it is very popular but wondered if anyone using the first cross for bigears still.

Throttle brakes,throttle brakes,zigzag, zigzag ,BURN !!!

I enjoy the zig zag, zig zag - you're right about the throttle not so sure about the brakes though? As for burn - some do burn and some will nail the hare, but they will keep the hare busier and under more pressure over shorter distances. JMO. I don't need to fill the pot so for me I love watching dog and hare run and not knowing what the outcome will be.:thumbs:

vid i also really enjoy watching the up and at em bang bang style although got 3 saluki crosses running at the mo but the pup i bred last year a first cross saluki x greyhound is showing signs of being wam bam merchant from what ive seen but my sons out of the same litter is more controlled and runs side on to them pushing them about more under control .we all like differant styles of running and thats what makes it so much fun to watch .

I really want my dog to actually catch what it is coursing. OK, even the very best of dogs won't catch them all, but running a dog which only nails 1/3 or 1/4 as the norm is a bit of a let down IMO. Maybe I've been spoilt in the past, but a dog has only got so many runs in it during its life, and if most runs don't produce the goods then I'd be looking at letting that dog do a different job.

Edited for typo!

I really want my dog to actually catch what it is coursing. OK, even the very best of dogs won't catch them all, but running a dog which only nails 1/3 or 1/4 as the norm is a bit of a let down IMO. Maybe I've been spoilt in the past, but a dog has only got so many runs in it during its life, and if most runs don't produce the goods then I'd be looking at letting that dog to a different job.

well said :thumbs:

Though I"ve run saluki bred dogs in the past I must admit I to like the wham bam dogs, probably not the longest of courses but exciting all the same

Well said. People think that fast dogs are just an explosion of kick outs, wide bends and over shoots, followed by quick burnouts. But plenty of fast dogs know how to get on a hare and use the speed when it gets near cover or to pick up. I suppose it's the same as saying all salukis are plodders, when it's really only 9/10ths that are :tongue2:

All lurchers given enough work will run up and course only as fast as they need to then the stamina saved is well noticable had various types that could run 5s no problems but a bit of sal never hurt any strain ive ever seen to be honest.