breeding my lurcher

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

my bitch is due to break down in the next couple of days and I also am wanting a rough/broken dog pup out of her, heres the stud im using, deer/greyxbeardie/grey 28-29tts

Posted Images

my bitch is due to break down in the next couple of days and I also am wanting a rough/broken dog pup out of her, heres the stud im using, deer/greyxbeardie/grey 28-29tts :thumbs:

setts036.jpg

looks a goody dog that- If I was that the lad that posted I'd go for something of that sort, touch of beddy can be handy :thumbs:

What are you aimimng to catch with the pups? That is what you need to be asking. You have a cracking looking bitch that is doing the business on rabbits be in ferreting or lamping. Why would you want to put a deer/grey over it? What will that mating give you? Heigh and speed? Do you need more height? Plus sounds like your bitch is quick enough. Only my opinion but if I wanted to end up with a rough coated rabbiting dog from your bitch I'd either use a bedlington terrier cross or try and find a nice and light built Bearded collie greyhound to use as a stud. I'd go for a straight half cross else with a 3/4 bred beardie you still have the rsk of some big pups, yes yes I know big does catch rabbits but the best rabbiting dogs tend to be 22-24 inches in height. Only my thoughts on the matter and I DONT MEAN TO UPSET OTHER CROSSES OR BIG DOG OWNERS, each to their own. Besides all I ever do is rabbits.

What ever you choose good luck with the mating and nothing beats breeding your own pup.

Hi thanks for ur reply sorley, ur last comment hit the nail on the head nothing beats breeding ur own pup, my present lurcher is great and love her to bits she is with me every minute of the day while at work and play and I want to try and get pup and work it alongside her mother, I have so much permission u wouldn't believe ( thanks to my job) alot of permission is very big open ground, and I feel a slightly bigger and faster dog will help me take my choice of quarry, I don't want to start loosing permissions because iam not getting results, its took me many years to gain the trust of my landowners and get all my permission, my dog loves working she lives for it and want to give her a bit of help we work day and night and also alongside ferrets and nets she needs to rest sometimes, as for deer/grey, I love the look of the deerhound lurcher and from what a lot of people have told me that cross will give me what iam looking for, thanks again for your reply all this input is great for me, as I said Tia is my first lurcher and have never bred dogs before but am looking forward to it, all the best

Have been offered a 1st cross Bedlington x deerhound to put over my bitch, hes about 27 in to shoulder, good working background, whats peoples thoughts, many thanks

hi all, i have 4 year old smooth coat blue merle collie x greyhound ,( David Hancock dog) , She is very gd working dog with ferrets and nets and great on the lamp, she has jst started her season and am keen for a litter from her, any suggestions what to put across her, i want to keep couple pups for myself and would like rough coated, any help woul be great have never bred dogs before. many thanks

What are you aimimng to catch with the pups? That is what you need to be asking. You have a cracking looking bitch that is doing the business on rabbits be in ferreting or lamping. Why would you want to put a deer/grey over it? What will that mating give you? Heigh and speed? Do you need more height? Plus sounds like your bitch is quick enough. Only my opinion but if I wanted to end up with a rough coated rabbiting dog from your bitch I'd either use a bedlington terrier cross or try and find a nice and light built Bearded collie greyhound to use as a stud. I'd go for a straight half cross else with a 3/4 bred beardie you still have the rsk of some big pups, yes yes I know big does catch rabbits but the best rabbiting dogs tend to be 22-24 inches in height. Only my thoughts on the matter and I DONT MEAN TO UPSET OTHER CROSSES OR BIG DOG OWNERS, each to their own. Besides all I ever do is rabbits.

What ever you choose good luck with the mating and nothing beats breeding your own pup.

Have you ever seen any grey/collie x grey/deerhounds ??

Why with these type of thread eveyone says go for this cross and that cross it will give you this and that ...davewill the best advice I could give you is find a well bred dog that is being tested on the quarry that you intend to hunt .get out and see the dog do its stuff and if you like what you see take it from there .

Your [bANNED TEXT] there bud I came across a bloke who has bedlington x deerhound he's about 27in to shoulder real nice looking dog and is doing the business, think iam going to go with him have few days left to decide, many thanks for ur reply

Have been offered a 1st cross Bedlington x deerhound to put over my bitch, hes about 27 in to shoulder, good working background, whats peoples thoughts, many thanks

If you use that beddy/deerhound youre putting 2 lots of direct base blood in the pups [beddy and collie] if the collie or beddy genes [or both] "kick in" you could end up with small heavy dogs lacking in running ability,just because the sire is 27" is no guarantee he wont pass on a good dose of the smaller beddy genes,he's half beddy afterall.

Most people fancy a certain "type" or want their lurchers to look a certain way,nothing wrong with having a dog that pleases your eye,but coats or looks have no bearing on your dogs ability to do its job.

Just my own take on putting 2 lots of base together so closely.