Track dog blood

I will probably get a bashing on here for this post, I regularly attended the Coursing at Annan, and the trainers would sometimes run Powderhall track dogs, these Dogs appeared to run really well and some put up a better show than the Coursing dogs.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some of the stuff written on this thred makes good sense but plenty seems to be written from heresay and scaremongering. Here's my 10 penneth worth. First off, we owe the greyhound a lot, without the

The problem with breeding out of track greyhound bitchs is to many are breeding out of lamed or failed dogs which have not seen any sort of lurcher work in there lives. A greyhound to be used in the b

MOO You never have ran or bred track greyhounds.But there you go shouting that big gob again.Then wounder why poeple wont answers your questions.There just maybe someone out there who knows more than

have used “track blood†several times. It’s really just a question using the right dogs/blood... Most of the breeding I see are dogs that come off due to injury or grade off. Since it was on the track it must be good enough to breed lol. This is so far from the truth and it’s laughable. :laugh: I look at the feet and its temperament but more importantly if I can, I’ll give it a piece of game and see were its head is at. I don’t care if it’s a track record holder if it isn’t putting its ivory into fur I’m not breeding to it. :no:

I also have raised several track bred dogs from pupsâ€farm style†some turn out pretty nice. But they are short on everything that has been discussed on this thread, air and durability to name a couple but that’s why we have lurchers right :hmm:

nothing wrong with useing a treid and tested greyhoiund bitch bred a few litts of them but had them aseason to see how the performed some well i got rid but two i kept were not bad dogs and bred good pups which its all about

have read this with great interest i have had and seen a few grey hounds run but they were above three years old and where stuck in there ways and habits.anyway everyone of here knows stewie and a few months back i had a 18 month grey bitch off of him.now when i first started taking the bitch out she was ignorant when ran on lamp for first time she caught a big rabb.i kept taking the bitch and her speed is blistering and she was doing all the things you would expect a grey and a YOUNG RUNNING dog to do overshooting on turns when running buy the way this bitch has retrieved everything she has caught and been able to carry back.at the start her speed was causeing her problems and she had a few knocks but after keep putting stuff in front of her she has started to adapt and she catches rabbits with ease and as for game this bitch will have ago at anything and has been on everything and she is no big bullx all i ask of her is that she TRYS 100% and no one could say that she dont try very good to watch not bad wind plenty of guts GOD LOVES A TRIER.now am not saying all of them are like this and she could get killed tommorrow(the same as any running or working dog)but i think if gotten from a young age as possible and have physically sound parents then there not as brain dead as people think i am glad i took a gamble on her and when lamping sometimes my heart is in my mouth but as said its early days i think they adapt there running just the same as any other running dog atb ks

Well written mate, good read that. I don't know what your terrain is like, my fear with greyhounds is fences, what is she like with them?

when first had her she wouldnt try to jump i kept her on lead and kept going over a low fence backwards and forwards over and over again gradually increasing the height she can jump when she has to but if can find another way she will.as for fences when shes running she has had a couple of knocks but she is learning i have took her digging a fair few times and she as surprised us learning quickly as where to grab things a character and demeaner are great and she is pleisure to have with me in the field her feet so far have been good but she isnt really heavy but stands at 26 to 27 ats she got a good strike on her as she has caught plenty out in open not near the hedges and has had a fair few shot and retrieved reds which she took to like a duck to water to see her eat the ground up so quickly is pure adrenalin to watch i noticed a big inprovement on running nimble quarry as she was just running to start off with but to watch her now on the lamp and in day she is trying to read her target there is a difference now am not saying greyhounds are the best everyone should get one but what i am saying is get a decent one and they will open many a dog mans eyes atb biza

if you breed lurcher to lurcher to lurcher for many generations the dogs "can" become too mongralised. a lot of coursing men are now seeing this with saluki breed dogs. depending on the animal you either go to a pure greyhound or pure saluki so they start throwing a more consistant (less litter wastage) dog.

Im not a million percent but im sure thats how the litter with "hazel" "wolf" "dyson" and im sure the other coursing lads will add the other litter mates names iv not got the best memory for names.and I think foxy went to a saluki ( deacon ) to produce casper.

appologise if I v got breedings wrong but what im trying to say is new pure blood is of benifit.

Im with hardcore ..wasnt john teals shashi a track bred dog?.

My best lurcher was sired by an old track dog that also ran at sherben coursing club.he was used because the lurcher to lurcher blood needed a speedy out cross

No Form of Tender out of Ellas Ivy coursing bred lines

A lot of old track dogs ran at Sherburn when it was on the tops,as the meeting was the first meeting of the season and you would nt want to risk anything half decent :whistling:

Y.I.S Leeview

confirmation? :blink: since whens that important in working luchers :doh: who cares what the dog looks like if it does its job well confirmations for showing and showing means nowt.....

you idiot! :wallbash: if a dog hasn't got the right gate,stride,movement etc. then it won't be right in the field. :blink: why comment if you don't know what you are talking about. :doh:

Guest storm70

Optimus has produced a top quality animal from hardblood racing lines I've had 2 dogs in my life that killed 5 out 5 local and both were from racing bloodlines properly never happen again but it's woth a try I like a fast up and at them type especially in the dead of winter I no another few really good dogs that are from hardblood and racing lines

have read this with great interest i have had and seen a few grey hounds run but they were above three years old and where stuck in there ways and habits.anyway everyone of here knows stewie and a few months back i had a 18 month grey bitch off of him.now when i first started taking the bitch out she was ignorant when ran on lamp for first time she caught a big rabb.i kept taking the bitch and her speed is blistering and she was doing all the things you would expect a grey and a YOUNG RUNNING dog to do overshooting on turns when running buy the way this bitch has retrieved everything she has caught and been able to carry back.at the start her speed was causeing her problems and she had a few knocks but after keep putting stuff in front of her she has started to adapt and she catches rabbits with ease and as for game this bitch will have ago at anything and has been on everything and she is no big bullx all i ask of her is that she TRYS 100% and no one could say that she dont try very good to watch not bad wind plenty of guts GOD LOVES A TRIER.now am not saying all of them are like this and she could get killed tommorrow(the same as any running or working dog)but i think if gotten from a young age as possible and have physically sound parents then there not as brain dead as people think i am glad i took a gamble on her and when lamping sometimes my heart is in my mouth but as said its early days i think they adapt there running just the same as any other running dog atb ks

Well written mate, good read that. I don't know what your terrain is like, my fear with greyhounds is fences, what is she like with them?

when first had her she wouldnt try to jump i kept her on lead and kept going over a low fence backwards and forwards over and over again gradually increasing the height she can jump when she has to but if can find another way she will.as for fences when shes running she has had a couple of knocks but she is learning i have took her digging a fair few times and she as surprised us learning quickly as where to grab things a character and demeaner are great and she is pleisure to have with me in the field her feet so far have been good but she isnt really heavy but stands at 26 to 27 ats she got a good strike on her as she has caught plenty out in open not near the hedges and has had a fair few shot and retrieved reds which she took to like a duck to water to see her eat the ground up so quickly is pure adrenalin to watch i noticed a big inprovement on running nimble quarry as she was just running to start off with but to watch her now on the lamp and in day she is trying to read her target there is a difference now am not saying greyhounds are the best everyone should get one but what i am saying is get a decent one and they will open many a dog mans eyes atb biza

i knew i should of kept her :laugh: :laugh: glad to hear she has settled in well and coming good mate :thumbs: :thumbs: like you said its a gamble taking them on but if it pays off you have alot of fun watching them run they really are something else!!!! the blue dog had a good day out yesterday more than happy with him as well :thumbs:

why dont some of you lads look into flapping track whippets ? they range in size from little whippets upto grew size and there bred and owned by enthusiasts not massive proffit run kennels . loads go on to work or are schooled by working . there fast as f**k and made up like pure sight hound long dogs just whippets and greyhound over and over , we had a small ugly bitch that had a small amount of saluki in her lol . she was flapping track bred . not a bad platform to breed lurchers from .

also its been covered but conformation is realy important , the KC showing of dogs has lead us to think that conformation is only for show dogs , have we forgotten that its not how it look its how the animal is made , how it moves , your looking for faults that could lead to problems (easy one to understand is poor feet) but what about things like long or short coupled , conformation if you know how to use it is what we should use to solect the right pup from the right parents for our own aplication or tarain !

Moo i think once in a while every Lurcher line can benefit from the right injection of Greyhound blood. It would obviously give you an injection of speed if the line needs it and make a strain a bit more typey in shape, confermation ect.

Like i say it would have to be the right dog that you knew was of sound temprement , conformation ect.

After all you'd be fooked for your 1st x Deerhound-Greyhounds- Saluki-Greyhounds without them.

15-20 years ago id of said use Coursing blood, nowdays id say find a Good wellbred staying Greyhound from the track as the Coursing dogs are too Big 90-100 lbs

which imo would be depremental to a lurcher line.

Something between 66-76 lbs is the way to go.

Max will know more about greyhounds than most and I agree that some lines could need an outcross to grey hound if needed but my point is that what they offer is limited and a 1/2 grey saluki,bull,wheaton etc could offer more as an outcross.....as for greys makeing decent working dogs what is your opinion on it ?...Max you know me and what I expect from a lurcher and a greyhound saturated lurcher or pure greyhound would not suit me as it would not have much left after even minimum amount of work .....there are a few on here makeing greyhound out to be something there not ...there speed merchants and if you were doing a lot of bigger quarry before the ban came out you will know the easy bit is getting up to its prey but the hard bit is what it does when it gets to it and thats where a lot of wind is needed especially if thhe dog is expected to put more in the bag that day or night .

My whole point of this thread was what do track dogs have to offer and im sure most will agree that it is speed

Some of the stuff written on this thred makes good sense but plenty seems to be written from heresay and scaremongering.

Here's my 10 penneth worth. First off, we owe the greyhound a lot, without these Formula 1 dogs just about every lurcher wouldn't be worth shit!

I'd also agree with Baldock's too, in that lines of running dogs need an injection of greyhound in 'em after many generations as they will become more mongrelised. Though it'd be fair to say, match dogs apart, how many real 'lines' of lurcher are there out there?

You'd only have to see a 'generations bred' lurcher run alongside a greyhound to see how slow 'some' of our lurchers have really become and before anyone says you don't need speed... Bollocks, thats why our lurchers are bred predominatley out of greyhounds anyway, you can never have enough, its harnessing it and not loosing the other desirables, thats the problem!

I've never been into greyhounds, wouldn't know one line from another but I have ran a few, ex track dogs, given (borrowed) to me and mates in my youth. Yep, ran a few and killed and injured a few too. To take an ex track dog and run it as a lurcher requires a much better man than me, in my youth. I just aimed and fired back then, anything that could possibly kill quarry and even though I 'may' be a little older and wiser these days I'd never do it again, far to heartbreaking, nerves of steel or total dis-regard are required here!

That said, never underestimate a decent greyhound, many will tackle anything and can get so wound up on the kill that they can have a total dis-regard to their own injurys, especially on stuff that bites back. Many will fight like b*****ds and can be a total nightmare in the back of a motor with other dogs, many times its down to their nevous and skittish nature and that nature, in some, never leaves 'em but it can be a real mess when they 'go off'. BUT, lets not forget, plenty more that ain't got it too!!!

Like Stunts says, they 'can' be short winded and have dodgy feet but that should be common knowlage as they are sprint merchants and bred to run over sand tracks but their are deffinatley some that don't conform to this. I have a mate who now lives in Ireland, he has a track dog he reared as a lurcher. He's predominantly into his terriers and this of pedigree unknown track bred bitch does him fine. Enough wind for the lamp (though he's not a big lamper), sensible around his terriers and will tackle the stuff he hunts. Yer, she has a few dodgy digits but no more than many a dog thats worked just as hard.

Like i said, I ain't got a clue from one greyhound pedigree to another but to me here lies the 'crux', from the little i do know, greyhound pedigree's to me, are a complete jumble, look back far enough and things will start to merge (lines etc) and to find the 'right' (or, the dog that ticks all your boxes) dog from 'any' greyhound line would be a bit of a gamble (you only have to look at good lines of terriers to see that all don't make the grade) and in breeding a litter, to big a gamble for me to take... I'll leave that for others, I ain't got neither the time, money or the nerves to wait and see how they'd turn out BUT if someone had raised one as a lurcher, then adding that, might be worth a go, line history or not.

Would I bring track dog blood into my lurchers? Nope! Simply because i don't need it (right now) for either my type of dog or my style of hunting BUT for those who do, fair play to ya. :thumbs:

• Like 7