They are all hard matey. I can speak from some experience when i say the hinds are harder to take than fallow bucks or sika stags. They are simply another animal! I have seen good dogs that can stop big sika stags come a cropper when faced with red hinds. One had its teeth kicked straight out! When it was legal i travelled all over the Uk in their pursuit and have had some fabulous times chasing those reds, both with one dog and two.

Facts is,for a man to take a red (either sex) with lurchers is rare. Mostly they will be doubled up (at least!) and mostly it will be a hind. In the rare occasion it is a stag then I have never, ever heard of a single dog having any effect on one. On the very, very rare occasions a pair (or more) dogs have somehow managed to slow a stag down enough for the owner to jump onto it then this has never been in the daytime. :thumbs:

So, if you catch my drift, there is always some angle or other in which the red was at a disadvantage. :thumbs: Not that I'm knocking it, to take a red in any circumstance is some accolade. :notworthy:

I remember once out on the hills four of us approached a good herd of reds in a pincer movement. We all got slips, but not one dog even so much as looked like it was going to do anything to a hind, never mind the big, 'ol stag that was in amongst them.

Maybe I needed better dogs..... :notworthy:

Daytime, single handed stag.....I don't think a dog exists. :notworthy:

But i have been wrong before. :thumbs:

i have also been lucky and have hunted deer all over uk the last 26 years and have been on land that not many wouldnt ever be so lucky to go on after deer , i have caught red deer in the day and at night loads of times ,i will give you they have been highland reds but still reds , i have seen the pictures of the red stag caught in the rut down south with the 2xbulls form a well known bull line and this wasnt a one off ,average fallow dogs dont miss many sika stags,if a sika,fallow kicked a dog in mouth hes losing his teeth belive me .perherps its not so much the deer but the dogs chasing them just my view.

• Like 1

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Put your cocks away lads, and get the thread back on track.

Yous are all laughable. Even the most mentally challenged dogman would realize that a fit and healthy red stag in its prime is NEVER going to be had with one dog.   I work alongside reds every day w

theres a pic in one of darcy books of a stag taken with two bull crosses. . .

Posted Images

w

They are all hard matey. I can speak from some experience when i say the hinds are harder to take than fallow bucks or sika stags. They are simply another animal! I have seen good dogs that can stop big sika stags come a cropper when faced with red hinds. One had its teeth kicked straight out! When it was legal i travelled all over the Uk in their pursuit and have had some fabulous times chasing those reds, both with one dog and two.

Facts is,for a man to take a red (either sex) with lurchers is rare. Mostly they will be doubled up (at least!) and mostly it will be a hind. In the rare occasion it is a stag then I have never, ever heard of a single dog having any effect on one. On the very, very rare occasions a pair (or more) dogs have somehow managed to slow a stag down enough for the owner to jump onto it then this has never been in the daytime. :thumbs:

So, if you catch my drift, there is always some angle or other in which the red was at a disadvantage. :thumbs: Not that I'm knocking it, to take a red in any circumstance is some accolade. :notworthy:

I remember once out on the hills four of us approached a good herd of reds in a pincer movement. We all got slips, but not one dog even so much as looked like it was going to do anything to a hind, never mind the big, 'ol stag that was in amongst them.

Maybe I needed better dogs..... :notworthy:

Daytime, single handed stag.....I don't think a dog exists. :notworthy:

But i have been wrong before. :thumbs:

jd you should get out more and write less.all this silly talk of running deer in the day ffs get real only a mug would run deer in the day.get out more jd you may learn a thing or two ;)

you talk of sika like there hard i have yet to see a sika stag get away from any dog.

whats the biggest stag or buck you have ever taken jd ?

you write about real deal dogs jd how many are the real deal ?

:toast: 'Get out more'.....I don't know if that is possible old chap. :blink: If you did half the miles i did then you would be tired. :thumbs:

Nowhere have i ever said sika are hard, in fact, just the opposite. I was only voicing an opinion and that's an opinion based on lots and lots of running deer all over england, and many daytime runs too. And that, to me, is the very hardest thing.

Like i previously said, To take ANY red is a true test of a dog and I doff my cap to any dog(s) capable of such a feat for it is a hard-won prize as I only know too well having spent the thick end of a decade trying. :notworthy:

:notworthy: I re-read the post and it doesnt look like i am putting down the lads or dogs that took the red. If it does then it certainly was not intended to as, it is still a dream of mine.

p.s, I don't know why running red deer in the daytime is 'silly talk'....Theres plenty of places, pre-ban, you could do it.... :victory:

EDITED TO ADD; None of my dogs are real deal, they are, at best, average. Maybe one day though.

Yous are all laughable. Even the most mentally challenged dogman would realize that a fit and healthy red stag in its prime is NEVER going to be had with one dog.

I work alongside reds every day when I'm on the hill and I can assure you all you "theorists" who have never seen one if its not in a book would change your mind.

Now children let's wake up and dive ourselves a shake.

The young and gullible amongst us who are easily led on will believe the shit written on this thread. Talk of hero dogs and even more worshiped dogmen. Lol

I bed 99% of you wouldn't ken what to do if you had one thrashing about before you. You would run a fecking mile!

Well that's my take on the subject from an unbiased opinion from someone who couldn't give two fucks what the dossers on this site think of me.

The bullshit stops when the tailgate drops!

FTB

• Like 2

Ill believe it when I see it.

You sound to me like your trying too hard as if you have something to prove.

I have nowt to prove.

End of.

FTB

i really werent going to post on this belive me as cant be doing with all this crap lol......Dread your fault LOL

Your right Fight the ban cant be done ,never has been done or ever will be done.

Glad you have seen sense mate. Lol

Single handed unaided and fairly taken. Not a hope.

FTB

whos saying single handed? i didnt write single handed any where in my post..ive never seen a red taken single handed but never said i had .I was answering to what JD said on the very very rare time 2 dogs would take or slow down a red .which i disagree with.

oh dear,,,:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:.... if it was legal i think more people would comment on this,,ive never seen a big red let alone chase one..but i think it is possible for two dogs to pull one,,wouldnt mind a few old bits of antler off these reds if anyone shoots them :thumbs:

No offence mate but that to my mind is part of the problem, you've never seen or chased one but your voicing an opinion on what ?. Pure speculation.

I posted on the other thread regarding dogs taking red deer stags and I'll say again, I had dogs that took fallow bucks, sika stags and red deer hinds and the same dogs couldn't slow a red stag down never mind render it buggered. As a ghillie I weighed red stags in at parlour weight (gralloched) around the twenty to twenty two stone mark, add the guts and your up at twenty four to twenty six stone, these were hill stags, I'm reliably informed farmed and southern stags grow considerably more.

Anyone who thinks a single hound can bring a beast of this calibre down is failing to take their medication.

:thumbs:

Well ffs deerman of course they can be had.

I have seen 4 dogs on one(preban) and it still jumped a fence and threw them off like rag dolls. That's a fact.

I have no doubt that enough dogs in the right circumstance could take one out.

Glad we got that cleared up.

FTB

Well ffs deerman of course they can be had.

I have seen 4 dogs on one(preban) and it still jumped a fence and threw them off like rag dolls. That's a fact.

I have no doubt that enough dogs in the right circumstance could take one out.

Glad we got that cleared up.

FTB

lol ok your not on any other sites are you? lol lol

i find red deer up here on the whole unpredictable .. hinds especially i have never spoken about something i saw last year mid summer before.. but i witnessed a chap walking a staffy off the lead & a small group of 4 hinds appeared from nowhere .. something there good at & on occasion i have been cornered my self out walking & its scary :laugh:

Going back to the staffy .. it ran towards the group & one of the hinds got stuck into the dog killing it with its feet.. the dog made no attempt to fight back .. it went limp & was rolled round the floor like a ball .. it was very quick & the dog didn't stand a chance .. to be honest both myself & the owner just stood there powerless to do anything

sadly i wasn't going to put my self in between a very agitated hind & a dog .. then the group took off .. i believe it was due to the group containing 1 calf

I think you need your wits about you when walking up here because as i previously said they can appear from no where & they can also shift once there mobile

I dont believe these up here to be full red but sika/ red hybrid & given the fact they hang around when your on foot & usually make no attempt to take off makes them far worse imo because they give you a false sense of security

I do personally find the hinds more of an imposing threat .. if you want to push your luck with then they give fair warning by barking usually & then followed by rhythmic pacing & then they will move forward & literally force you back

I have never witnessed this behaviour in stags only hinds :thumbs:

as i said in my last post on this topic i seen 4 ozzy arabs try to take an ozzy samba stag down the head of which is pictured below with a frend of mine (troy the one in the blue shirt)this animal killed one of the dogs who weighed 95 lb and stood 29 tts by a single kick the the head thats 4 dogs trying to bring one down in oz after it had been shot i think thats enough said on the subject from me :whistling:

post-51717-0-87721200-1299666793_thumb.jpg