Vet Charges

Hi I just got back from the vets, Ouch, I have a bloody plumberm Terrier that from time to time just takes a bite out of my lurcher for no reason at all. Any way plummer jumped up and bit her just in front of hind leg and gave her a rip about 3" long just into her side and down the flap of skin. I took her to my vet that I am very happy with his work but, the cost, drugs and sundries £19 the doing of it £107 all plus vat total £147. The vet called me two hrs after dropping her off and said she had came around and was ready to be collected. He made a good job of it but boy do they know how to charge.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi I just got back from the vets, Ouch, I have a bloody plumberm Terrier that from time to time just takes a bite out of my lurcher for no reason at all. Any way plummer jumped up and bit her just in front of hind leg and gave her a rip about 3" long just into her side and down the flap of skin. I took her to my vet that I am very happy with his work but, the cost, drugs and sundries £19 the doing of it £107 all plus vat total £147. The vet called me two hrs after dropping her off and said she had came around and was ready to be collected. He made a good job of it but boy do they know how to charge.

I pay £10 a month with tesco for 2 of my dogs. It's handy as I don't have much spare cash so a vets bill would wipe out my £300 saving in no time. I also don't believe you should keep animals if you can't care from them properly and providing vet care is part of that.

Anyway well done for getting your dog sorted asap the other option is you could consider gluing or stapling the dog yourself if you feel comfortable to do it. £147 seems about the going rate for that kind of thing.

oh they certainly do mate.was at vets yesterday with my pup,he had an ear prob.build of wax.16 tablets (which are 12p each online,but need a prescription medrone v)and a wee bottle of suralan drops.£50quid.used to get my drontalfrom the vets at £14 a tab can get them online for £3.however guess there some things you have to go and see him about,but im always prepared to dig deep when i do.there was a report few month back in the mews of the world,where the vets mark up on drugs was in some cases 5 times the price.I know they have over heads and got to make a living.however some just totally kick the arse out of it.Also reading some of the posts on here about guys going to vets and getting bad advice makes me doubt them even more.

ridiculous what vets are charging i agree! only last week i had my terrier spay total cost should have been £120?:icon_eek: luckily because i get working tax credit i rang the dogs trust and i got it done for £30 plus £5 for meds. i agree that we must be able to pay to care for our dogs if they ever do require a trip to vets etc but the charges are a joke

Vet in my town dear as feck 30 quid just to have a look at your dog before he does anything wouldnt go near the place.. out in the country we vets wouldnt go anywhere else now. 45 quid for 4 stitches into dogs side..put to sleep course of antibioics for a week and staying overnight couldnt believe it.

ridiculous what vets are charging i agree! only last week i had my terrier spay total cost should have been £120?:icon_eek: luckily because i get working tax credit i rang the dogs trust and i got it done for £30 plus £5 for meds. i agree that we must be able to pay to care for our dogs if they ever do require a trip to vets etc but the charges are a joke

dogs trust never heard of that,good for you though :thumbs: heard there was another place aswell helped people out if they were on low income or unemployed.Its good to hear that there are organisations out there that do gen help people out with thier vet bills.

oh they certainly do mate.was at vets yesterday with my pup,he had an ear prob.build of wax.16 tablets (which are 12p each online,but need a prescription medrone v)and a wee bottle of suralan drops.£50quid.used to get my drontalfrom the vets at £14 a tab can get them online for £3.however guess there some things you have to go and see him about,but im always prepared to dig deep when i do.there was a report few month back in the mews of the world,where the vets mark up on drugs was in some cases 5 times the price.I know they have over heads and got to make a living.however some just totally kick the arse out of it.Also reading some of the posts on here about guys going to vets and getting bad advice makes me doubt them even more.

Robbing gets charged me £15.55 for pre-anaesthetic check that means I put her on the scales and then put her in a cage ready to have it done. £55.43 to put her out and all that for 5 stitches

staple gun 10euro

I have been thinking about a staple gun. Only thing that puts me off a few years back I see two blokes stitch a springer up the poor thing was not happy about it at all to say the least.

Smaller cuts you can use superglue as thats what it is actually designed for. Muzzle, tube of glue and alcohol wipes can fix most things while out in the field. You might not need the muzzle but alcohol in a deep cut hurts lots and means you can concentrate on the job in hand.

dogs trust never heard of that,good for you though :thumbs: heard there was another place aswell helped people out if they were on low income or unemployed.Its good to hear that there are organisations out there that do gen help people out with thier vet bills.

yeah id never heard of it pal but someone told me about dogs trust so gave em a ring they were very helpful gave me a list of vets in my area that would do op for £30. just had to take proof of my £12 a month working tax credit and the vet must charge dogs trust the difference, i was chuffed tbh :thumbs:

PDSA are the other one :thumbs:

Thing that pisses me of is if the dog trust or places such as that can do it for £35 and must make profit, how the f**k do vets justify charging 5 times that amount at some places. there bunch rippin of f**kers :wallbash:

yea thats the name cheers mate :thumbs:

yea thats the name cheers mate :thumbs:

PDSA only help people out of work and are on housing benefit . dogs trust only help with spay i think prob because it in their interest to spay bitches to stop endless unwanted litters that they end up re-homing etc