lurcher and terrier together in same kennel

I haven't got space for another run mate. Lurcher has got the run of the yard.

My lurcher is no house dog. I've tried for 5 month to house train, crate train etc. He pisses everywhere. The door can be open and he will piss inside. He also prefers being out, he hates being hot and runs around panting in the house.

Gaz

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For those that say 'wouldnt they just get on' - terriers are natural wind up merchants and altough not gaurenteed, it is VERY likely that at some point a fight will break out, over a chew, a bone, or

Never had a problem with a terrier and a lurcher in a kennel had more problems with terrier and terrier in a run,but i know my dogs temprements and would not kennel an idiot with anything,i find the m

what would people think about me keeping a patterdale with a lurcher? both pups?

I wouldnt my terrier had a sqaure up with 1 of the lurchers and it ended in her being a toy between 2 of them it lasted seconds and by the time id stopped it.My terrier was lying on the floor dying got her to the vet and she survived lucky enough but she had serious injuries and a burst windpipe and gullet that needed repairing :thumbdown::censored::blink: And that was seconds god knows what would happen in a kennel where your not there all the time to oversee it.They were in the next room to me and got through two gates and the terirer out of her crate she sleeps in.Heres the pics of what can go wrong in a matter of seconds the cost of this fight was £778.58

154230_169469399759945_100000906595940_342723_7733194_n.jpg

thats the one side the other side was puncture holes and no more.Then she ended up haing to be operated on for pyometra and tumours inside another wack of cash thankfully shes ins163848_180569671983251_100000906595940_409189_2758053_n-1.jpgured

Yes i can promise you its the worst day of my life cos i was really concerened shes fought her last and the vet wasnt too optimistic.Dont get me wrong shes as good as she ever was now hasnt changed her at all.After seeing that I Never leave the lurchers and terrier alone EVER now.Terrier sleeps in a crate at night and when im out or when things are excitable if visitors coming etc to try and ensure it doesnt ever happen again.It took weeks to get her fully recovered and i never want to see anything like it again

I have had a lengthy discussion with skycat tonight about this over the phone. And very helpful she is too.

I have decided to firstly get the lurcher outside and settled. Then in a few months look to separating a section of the run for terrier bitch.

I think a bitch is more likely to have a better bond with my lurcher than a dog.

When the bitch comes into season I will bring her indoors in a crate away from the dog. If it is unbearable for either her hating it inside or us with lurcher crying etc then I will get her spayed a few months after first season.

If she is okay indoors while in season then I may look at keeping her un-spayed and bring her indoors each time.

Gaz

ok lads i aint a stubborn fool and can see good advice when i see it and when the terrier matured a bit more he will be seperated fook that i dont want any bad injuries to my dogs that dont need to happen or can be avoided as the terrier is a little twat has to have the last say even when hes had a clip on the arse from me im moving house in a few weeks so putting up an extra run anyway but they do like living together the lurcher n terrier pup actually moved in the greyhounds kennel themselves you just couldnt get them out lol

my lurcher has been getting these cuts over her body and legs, and after reading this post i think its been my terrier thats been doin the damage, i've never saw her doin it but why else would my lurcher be getting these cut. They share the same kennel and have done for the last year :censored:

personally i think its the dogs themselves i got a patt christmas eve n had my lurcher in the kennel before that introduced them to each other everything fine stuck them in kennel together and never had a pick of bother sorry i tell a lie had abit of a fumble over food so now i feed lurcher in run and terrier outside take bowls away after feeding leave water in run and there absolutely spot on both bitches one 6 month and one 3yo maybe one day it will happen fingers crossed it wont but hopefully al have my new kennels up by then so wont need to build before that

atb digginmad2011

The thing is they can be good together till it goes wrong nothing was going on when my bitch and terrier 1rst went at it the second time was bread outside and fair enough that happens.The time those pics were taken was the last ever the terrier is not seriously locked up when im not around or asleep cos it was so close to being her last.To be honest shes the one who pushes it she grabs on and wont let go the lurcher lass i have runs away when she starts but because the terrier keeps a hold the lurchers ended up loosing it and going back at her.The real risk is small terrier versus Lurcher is never gonna end nice or well for the terrier.I just wouldnt take a risk on it now they got on great in the first while still do most of the time i just dont trust it all now and dont allow them to be together too long in case of repeat performances.Plus aside from that shes insured or it would have cost me personally £778 odd and not many have that sort of money to spare lying around i have fought a lot of her demons with her and when she had an emergency op she came through like a true fighter the odds were 80 death rate on the table but still a terrier is no match for a lurcher and in a kennel if they go at it by the time you get in to them the damage is done

i keep my 2 fell terriers together, a dog and a bitch, tried to split them but they are devoted to each other and go off their food, the bitch is boss and the dog accepts that. i know im taking a risk by keeping them together, i work them seperately, i feed them seperately, they have a 1/4 of an acre dog run. and 2 kennels in it. they spent all their time together like a little old couple.

Never had a problem with a terrier and a lurcher in a kennel had more problems with terrier and terrier in a run,but i know my dogs temprements and would not kennel an idiot with anything,i find the most argumentive dogs are those that aint getting what they want and spend most of there time sat in a run doing jack shit :thumbs:

• Like 3