types owned and worked

:) what type of lurcher did you start out with, and have you tried different crosses over the years,what have you got now?,are there any types you wouldnt use again?.

Good question jacob,this could turn out to be an interesting thread. :thumbs-up:

I will post my answer when I have more time and after giving it some thought.

:) what type of lurcher did you start out with, and have you tried different crosses over the years,what have you got now?,are there any types you wouldnt use again?.

god knows i started with my bullx who is now 7 months old and seems to be comin on alrite but spose only time will tell :hmm:S1030003.jpg

Guest the poacher

i started off with a colliexgreyhoundxsuluki greyhound over 20 years ago she wasnt no running machine i mainly used her for a bushing bitch which she was very good as she hunted like a hound i then crossed her with a mates beddyxgreyhound which was a single handed dog on everything :whistle: i kept a ruff blue coated pup out of the litter and he made a very good lamping and day time dog he was aslo single handed fox dog when them 2 past on i had a 1/4 bull 3/4 grey which i still got hes now coming on 8 year old he has really done me proud over the years doing exactly what ive asked of him he was a single handed fox dog before the ban also a good lurcher to have out with the terriers :whistle: but he isnt going to last for ever i now got a 3/8 bul 5/8 grey pup 5 months old and i hope he fills the boots of the lurcher im currently using :)

Guest oldskool

i started into lurchers with a really well schooled whippet/grey that i bought off a lad for lamping.... lookin back on it now i think she was one of the best dogs i had, she done it all!!! had a 3/4grey 1/4 bull but it was hit with a car when it was very young so i never got to see it in action :cry: .. had a alsation x grey, it was a clinker too :thumbs-up: ... had him until retirement!!! some of the worst crosses i have had, believe it or not, were collie crosses... having said that, i bought them grown so it was probably not the cross just the previous owner... always wondered what a saluki/grey would be like for what i do??

i started into lurchers with a really well schooled whippet/grey that i bought off a lad for lamping.... lookin back on it now i think she was one of the best dogs i had, she done it all!!! had a 3/4grey 1/4 bull but it was hit with a car when it was very young so i never got to see it in action :cry: .. had a alsation x grey, it was a clinker too :thumbs-up: ... had him until retirement!!! some of the worst crosses i have had, believe it or not, were collie crosses... having said that, i bought them grown so it was probably not the cross just the previous owner... always wondered what a saluki/grey would be like for what i do??

Started early seventies bed x whippet uncle got him for me of a farm good dog learned me a lot,he died at seven,then i picked up a pup of a scrap yard beddlington x whippet cost me nothing what a dog name it he would mark it kill it retrieve it scooby still miss im,along with him bought a bitch pup for a mate after he lost his salukii grey collie she was an outstanding fox dog pearl,bred scoobby to irish track dog kept a pup back,good dog on the lamp,he died early replaced him with a irish track dog,she died at five heart problem,then bought coursing whippet only dog probably wouldnt buy again

started off in my mid teens with a wippet/grey/saluki type bitch who was really hopeless,over the next twenty odd years i've run a whippet/grey,a few collie/greys(1 a hancock) one pure whippet(little cracker),the best that ever stood on my yard was a wheaten/grey.some twenty years later i've found the courage to try another with saluki blood,hes 20 weeks and saluki/greyxirish terrier/grey.

First lurcher was a deer hound/greyhound, went silly and escaped and killed some sheep :o , had to be shot :cry: i was young and stupid. :icon_redface:

Second lurcher, was a whippet x collie, good on the lamp, good nose in the daytime, but not a good dog catching in the daytime. :no: gave her to a good freind in the end, after having her for 6 years, due to house move ect and she is still alive at the age of 14 ;) Sleeping by the fire and my freind will not part with her now. :)

I got a bull x greyhound pup after that, but that got stolan on me :censored: , after all the work i put in to that pup aswell :no:

Got put off a wee bit after that and kind of got a few adult lurchers , 1 was a 3/4 grey x 1/4 irsish terreier, wich opened up everytime it chased a hare, a good deer hound greyhound bitch, that took deer well, but lacked badly in stamina.

Then, a traveller, had a whippet greyhound x that he thought was no good on hares and offerd it to me for £40, i bought the dog, black in colour and he turned out to be a very good fox, deer, rabbit and sometimes, the odd hare.

I also gave that to a mate who had a young lad that was just getting into the game and what better way, then to have my whippet x greyhound, given to him, as a gift as his first lurcher.

Sadly, this dog got neglected, as the lad got other things on his mind, (girls), so the dog, wonderd off one night, after a bitch down the road, that was on heat, that he visited regularily and one of the visits, he never came back. :cry: i was gutted and have since, vowed never to do that again. :no:

That was 10 odd years ago and i went off them for a while, but allways intended to get back into it, which i have done now and glad i have, as i love evey miniute of it.

As i have now setteled down well, house, car, part time job, a son and dodgy wife :blink::laugh: , i have got a whippet pup, as most of you know and she is coming on a treat. :D:drink:;)

Frank.

ferretinglamping045.jpg

Above is a pic of my first lurcher[excuse the quality as its a photo of a photo] that I got more than 20 years ago,she was collie/grey x grey/stag. A staghound was a rough coated dog usually bred from a grey/deerhound.I got the bitch at 6 weeks and although I'd read a couple of books out of the library

I really hadn't a clue what to expect.

I don't know wether it was beginers luck or what but she turned out to be a really good bitch,she had a very soft mouth and would retrieve for fun.She was brilliant at ferreting and had a fantastic nose.Lamping was not her forte however as she was 4 before I got my first lamp.

I've had a few dogs since then all of them decent,a lot of them have caught more rabbits than her and been just as biddable but for me she had that little bit extra.

Most of the dogs I've had have been colliexgrey but recently [rightly or wrongly] I've come round to thinking

a quarter collie is more than enough,also i'll keep nowt but bitches from now on they seem more biddable

and I seem to click with them.

The last lurcher bitch I had got pts before she was 18months because of a blood infection that attacked her heart I had high hopes for that bitch but she never got the chance to prove herself,if I can find a pic of her I'll add it later.

ferretinglamping049.jpg

Amy-5/8thgrey...1/4collie....1/8deerhound.

Edited by tote

Always owned collie/greys and bedlington x's. A few have been stolen in the past, by bloody pikeys :censored: I suppose these crosses because they were fairly popular and i always heard good about them and tbh i haven't a fault with them, apart from my 1/2 x collie/grey who just needs too much stimulation, i won't get a dog of this cross again, although my boy is here for the rest of his life. :)

Just recently 2 bull x's have joined our pack because they are incredibly powerful, loyal, intelligent, very willing and affectionate, our collie x's have the same attributes but the bull x's don't show any signs of nervousness. I personally like a lurcher to be 3/4 sighthound because the characteristics of the non sighthound aren't so strong. If that makes sense. God i have rambled....................... :laugh:

EXACTLY matie, lurcher x lurcher knock the spots off any first crosser as alrounders, always have, always will, every record where I live is owned by bitzas

Tried most of the different strains and done some breeding too as long as the parents and grandparents are allrounders then thats all i need sooner have bitsas than first cross or threequaterbreds
EXACTLY matie, lurcher x lurcher knock the spots off any first crosser as alrounders, always have, always will, every record where I live is owned by bitzas

Tried most of the different strains and done some breeding too as long as the parents and grandparents are allrounders then thats all i need sooner have bitsas than first cross or threequaterbreds

:)i remember some time ago the australian cattle dog crosses were becoming popular ,then seemed to vanish ,what were they like,anyone know?