types owned and worked

collie greyhounds are my prefered choice they are intelligent loyal,have good coats and feet and bags of stamina,my current bitch is a reverse threequarter,doxhope you cant beat a genuine first cross especially a first cross collie greyhound.regards collie john.

first dog was collie whippet she was only little but great fun she used to love working the cover and was a dab hand at knocking up pheasants and such that was nearly twenty years ago when i had more time and didnt care what i got up to they were fun days,now i have the beddie/whippet/grey/wheaton she is good fun but a good way to go yet to match my first bitch.

have had wipets to deerhound crosses which servered me well.

even had a foxhound which was very usefull could kill hares and foxes on his own.

never bred from him as i tought he was a once off.

some salukis have served me well too.

agree with doxhope its hard to beat dogs with generations of hard working dogs in their backround

with first crosses.has been some very nice first crosses too but best to best is hard to beat.

all the best

macker

line bred collie line, beardie crosses , pure greyhounds and saluk,i crosses and deerhound crosses with colllie through them , best dogs ive had were line bred good to good ,wether saluk or collie line ,whippet greyhound cross

EXACTLY matie, lurcher x lurcher knock the spots off any first crosser as alrounders, always have, always will, every record where I live is owned by bitzas

Tried most of the different strains and done some breeding too as long as the parents and grandparents are allrounders then thats all i need sooner have bitsas than first cross or threequaterbreds

:)i remember some time ago the australian cattle dog crosses were becoming popular ,then seemed to vanish ,what were they like,anyone know?

i was born and lived a few years in australia and the cattle dogs around(not always the black and tan)were rough and ready type things, hard as you like, they'd get kicked by a bull and still jump up and tell it whos boss. occasionally abit unstable temperamentally, but all the same, very hard dogs with a feirce loyalty to their master. not very tall dogs but would probably make great crosses.

i've had a staghound (deer/grey x (deer/grey going back a few generations) who was a dream in every way, but unfortunately had to be put down. ive also had a gsd who was great but not particularly fast. currently i own a boxer and a retreiver with a 16th saluki in, both i love to bits and would have again.

I started with a greyhound that used to borrow from a guy who introduced me to ferreting when i was about 10.

Picture038.jpg

^This was my first lurcher Ben, he was a 3yr old 29" first cross DeerhoundXGreyhound, I got him when I was 18 specifically for fox control when I was taking on fulltime after my gamekeeping YTS ended and because I had always wanted a running of my own since taking the greyhound out hunting.

Picture097.jpg

^This was my next lurcher Troy I got him 6 months after I got Ben (I had the the lurcher bug buy this point), he was a 2 year old 26" salukiXgreyXsalukiXgrey again mainly for fox work.

Picture266.jpg

^Next I got Kit after loosing Ben to a fatal accident where a branch pierced his chest. :no:

Kit was a 14 week old SalukiXSaluki/lurcher of merlin and eve desent bred by a gypsy. He turned out to be an absolute natural in the field, taken his first fox at 8month old on a fox drive. He is 9 years old now and lying at my feet as I type. B)

I lost Troy to another accident while he was chasing a rabbit through a plantation he hit a tree smashing is pelvis and back leg in multiple. This was my lowest point and I almost convinced myself to pack in running dogs, but like said early I had the bug.

Picture777.jpg

^Back down to gypsy camp and I came home with an 8 week old full brother to kit, but this time a wooley one. I lost Troy to pyothorax at 4 yrs old :no:

Picture624.jpg

^Then I got my first full Saluki a 3yr old called Fudge out of Delightful Lady to Cruise Of Shildon. He was being badly treated and kept in a coal bunker.

Picture274.jpg

^Then I got Meg as a pup bred out of a bitzalurcherXLab to my wooley dog Troy because the lad that had him could no longer keep her.

After this I decided to only to get full salukis in the future. As my Saluki was indestructable and never lame, all my SalukiX's suffered from toe trouble by their 3 or 4 season. :no:

Picture125.jpg

^After loosing Fudge to liver cancer, I when back down to the NE of england ( where all the best dogs come from :whistle: ) and purchased a Saluki bitch called Ameerah out of She Is The Lady to Fair Boy from the same lines as Fudge.

Picture067.jpg

^Next I travelled to london to get another Full Saluki a 2yr old unregistered dog called Tariq.

IMG_0002.jpg

^ After an acidental mating between Tariq and Ameerah I kept one of the 4 pup and called him Farouq, he is now 18 weeks old

And that me up to date, not counting my O/H's lurchers or gundogs.

:whistle: :whistle:

Edited by Meerihunter
i was born and lived a few years in australia and the cattle dogs around(not always the black and tan)were rough and ready type things, hard as you like, they'd get kicked by a bull and still jump up and tell it whos boss. occasionally abit unstable temperamentally, but all the same, very hard dogs with a feirce loyalty to their master. not very tall dogs but would probably make great crosses.

i have an australian cattle dog. They are very hardy working dogs. They are quite natural killers as well since they have dingo in them and they go after just about anything. They are absolutely fearless. I was thinking of making a greyhound/cattle dog cross for a while. Only problem with the breed is they are a bit dog aggressive and dominant of other dogs. Here is a pic of my dog at 13 years old with one of my whippets.

img0697hh6.jpg

cattle dogs generally work cattle while kelpies work sheep. Cattle dogs are also a bit more solid boned and stronger and have dingo in them as well as some other breeds such as bull terrier and dalmation which were crossed with old collie type dogs. A bit different in temperament as well. Cattle dogs tend to be more protective and have strong guarding instincts. Both are very hard workers with a lot of stamina and very hardy breeds.