breeding

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If neither of them are worthy of breeding the go to the vets and get rid of them. Now. Matters not if the 'cross' is good or not, its whether your dog and bitch is.   Just my opinion.   FTB

Posted Images

Seen two out of one litter a few years back from a jack russell bitch served by a staff dog.

Both looking like staffs, but a wee bit less bulky.

Both couldn't fit into most fox earths, but they guy used them for other hunting quarry, rats, mink, wild moggies, and other things.

Both were excellent at drawing. Now when these were mated back to jack russell bitches to produce 3/4 russell 1/4 staff pups, well I haven't seen anything like them for confirmation and prey drive ever.

Good luck.

your best useing the staff bitch to russell dog that way they dont turn out too heavy and throw more to the sire than the dam :thumbs:

I kept a load of bullx's years ago and the one bit of advice Id say is pick the smaller of the bitches,I found the dog pups were usually that bit too big.When the pups come on the big side they come really strong and have limited use in certain earths.The next problem would be dog agression,but saying that ours were relatively ok around other dogs.We did have a few that were not worth the hassle as all they wanted was to rip apart anything that got close enough.This was back in the early 80s and we had little interaction with other terrier folk so we had to try and create our own workers.

I worked a few of this type cross in the past. But this is just my opinion.

If you are lucky enough to get a good one they can be a good addition to any pack. But they will not be any better than other good terriers.

The cross will look better on the end of a leash, but that is about all. The extra strong head/bite will only take the dog so far.

The extra wide shoulders and weight will hinder the dog far more.

If I am reading you correctly you are happy with the type of terrier you already have. They are doing the work you require.

If you had planned this cross for some specific reason. Would you have searched your area for a better Staff?

Or is this the BEST working staff in your area?

If Not the BEST then bring the bitch to the vet.

Breed your best Russell bitch to the BEST Russell dog in your area or go further (not necessarily in your kennel).

If you ever intend to breed a line of Bullx terriers as a strain of terriers for fox it would be a huge undertaking.

The knowledge of breeding / linebreeding / outcrossing is a serious commitment.

Men like Buck/Breay spent a lifetime working with a fantastic strain (Bradleys) of terriers to start with.

Their strain worked and became popular. A lot of other strains did not.

The culling program would be extensive.

My advice is to stick with your Russells. :thumbs:

Best of luck with whichever choice you make.

im thinking of doing this cross my self but need to find the right staffy an its got to be a small 1 at that to cover my mini russell bitch

if you want to get the size up, why not use a strong type russell thats got generations of work behind it - rather than introduce non earthworking breed

im thinking of doing this cross my self but need to find the right staffy an its got to be a small 1 at that to cover my mini russell bitch

if you want to get the size up, why not use a strong type russell thats got generations of work behind it - rather than introduce non earthworking breed

why not use the brock dog russell in the stud section???

better than a staff imo and its a very strong russell, id use it if i was breeding off a russell bitch

ive got a 1/4 staff 3/4 russel give 100 percent all the time

i would like to thank everyone for the advice that they have given and replied to my post

i didn't think that there would be so much interest in it

got the number of the fella that bred the staff bitch and spoke to him today

he told me that the line of staff's that he keeps are pure workers, he has the parents and grandparents kept and he still works them

he also said that he's done the cross with the russell and this line of staff's

he was very happy with the outcome, so i hope mine will come as good

this could be the best mistake that ever happened

will let you know how i get on

atb j

IMO if you are adding bull blood to digging terriers they have to be of very tested stock and the bull in question has only done a bit of bushing and your russel is no world beater so the odds of a decent litter are stacked against them before they are even born ....no doubt these pups will be advertised on here in a few months time it will be interesting to see the price

Edited by MOO

IMO if you are adding bull blood to digging terriers they have to be of very tested stock and the bull in question has only done a bit of bushing and your russel is no world beater so the odds of a decent litter are stacked against them before they are even born ....no doubt these pups will be advertised on here in a few months time it will be interesting to see the price

as regards to the russells they have never failed or come away or let me down

as for being no world beaters i'm sure that their's plenty on here that have better dogs than i do

but i'm very happy with my dogs as for the bull bitch i have researched her breeding and she

comes from a long line of workers

and as for selling the pups depending on what she has i will be holding two back for myself

and i have good homes already lined for the rest if there's any free of charge

i have kept working terriers for well over twenty year and in that time i have never bought or sold a dog

any spare pups i had was given out free of charge

people shouldn't be so quick to judge another person as soon as they see the word breeding they have dollar signs in their eyes

atb j