do you want a dog

2 run trough walls and fences or use its head   

114 members have voted

1. 1. which 2 you prefer

• 2 use its brains and not get messd up
    • 2 run trough them and take the knocks

the land i hunt requires huge speed and prey drive.ive had people from this sight come with me and stand with mouths open at the speed of rabbits.not only that there away into the hedge pretty sharpish too.if the dog has the speed to strip a couple of turns out the rabbit then you stand the chance of a lost rabbit.a do or die speed merchant of a dog will out catch a dog that hesitates even for a split second by a huge margin.i understand that if you work fields with stone walls or mesh fencing then there is more room for error.but on my ground you need preydrive in kilos :thumbs: .

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

just your opions lads and lasses want you want in your dogs ,do you want run trough brick walls and fences for its game or would rather use its brains and not take all the hits and knocks ,some people

So the dog ran 200yds leaving blood prints and that impressed you,well fair play to the dog pity about the sheer ignorance of the owner,don,t worry though you will have plenty of admirers on here.

100% agree [preban]

we are not talking brains as in picking its runs ( well i'm not) my bitch will run anything , but she has the brain to not smash in to a fence since the last time she did it and we've being out 3/5 days a week! yes it'll happen again when she dose not see the fence but a dog that see's a fence and runs in to it time and time again is to me a bit thick in the head!

Speed kills!..

100% commitment, balls to the wall for me, who wants to slip a dog to see it pull up??

I'll do the thinking side of things... just my preferance,.. :thumbs:

Speed wins races on a greyhound track mate,, thats about it,,,,,,, which kill most daytimes hares,, greyhounds or saluki hybrids :whistling: . and what runs faster than a hare :whistling: .

The gear is shy here like you would not beleave,,, but a speed merchant hero dog will still miss more than a dog that runs them abit then ups gear to strike,,,i used think fast, fast, fast,,, most lads around here still do,,,, not anymore,, its all about the gears not the flat out speed,,,as with pure speed comes overshooting,,lostground,and lost game,,:thumbs: .

Speed kills!..

100% commitment, balls to the wall for me, who wants to slip a dog to see it pull up??

Speed wins races on a greyhound track mate,, thats about it,,,,,,, which kill most daytimes hares,, greyhounds or saluki hybrids :whistling: . and what runs faster than a hare :whistling: .

The gear is shy here like you would not beleave,,, but a speed merchant hero dog will still miss more than a dog that runs them abit then ups gear to strike,,,i used think fast, fast, fast,,, most lads around here still do,,,, not anymore,, its all about the gears not the flat out speed,,,as with pure speed comes overshooting,,lostground,and lost game,,:thumbs: .

hi merle24, :thumbs: , think you're a good genuine sort mate, don't want to and aint got the time for argeuing.. :thumbs just a acouple of things.. you mention saluki hybrids... funny thing is i run one, in her day she was fast, and has never ever pulled up on anything ,..... anywhere!

Fast dogs that are over shooting either have bad strikes, or don't know their game!... or have'nt seen enough of it!..

I could go one but can't be arsed...

ATVB... :thumbs:

Speed kills!..

hi merle24, :thumbs: , think you're a good genuine sort mate, don't want to and aint got the time for argeuing.. :thumbs just a acouple of things.. you mention saluki hybrids... funny thing is i run one, in her day she was fast, and has never ever pulled up on anything ,..... anywhere!

Fast dogs that are over shooting either have bad strikes, or don't know their game!... or have'nt seen enough of it!..

I could go one but can't be arsed...

ATVB... :thumbs:

Fair doos fella,,, but if a dog is a real fast mad dog it will tend to loose on the bends in general even when fit and well in hand,,,,its more when stuff is really flying and educated this time of year that its more noticable ive seen some really fast whippet type lurchers that have seen 4 seasons good lamping make hard work of fast to cover rabs,,,, i surpose theres alot of variables in it to come to a hard and fast conclusion,,, where you hunt,, what yo hunt, how you hunt,,, i just like a dog that learns to slow its pace a bit to stick a bit better thats all,, some dont seem to ever click no matter how much work yo throw at em.,,,,:thumbs:

Dog with brain or better named anticipation are not pullers or jackers,,they are a mile apart,

I demand 100% commitment, i don't want any injuries, nobody in their right mind does but expect my dog to give full commitment when i slip it, i'll choose the slips but expect my dogs to give it their all and not think if they should run it, its just a step away from pulling up IMO.......

just your opions lads and lasses want you want in your dogs ,do you want run trough brick walls and fences for its game or would rather use its brains and not take all the hits and knocks ,some people might say the dog dos,ent have the drive ,is it worth the injurys that come with brickwalls and barbwirefences for any game ?this is realy aimed at lamping dogs,atb,,,gaz :thumbs:

Id like to think my dogs got brains but once he is chasing something he will run through fences, hedges, streams etc. I am new to owning my own coursing dog and any advice would be welcome. the dogs ok its me thats the daft one

just your opions lads and lasses want you want in your dogs ,do you want run trough brick walls and fences for its game or would rather use its brains and not take all the hits and knocks ,some people might say the dog dos,ent have the drive ,is it worth the injurys that come with brickwalls and barbwirefences for any game ?this is realy aimed at lamping dogs,atb,,,gaz :thumbs:

always with brains :yes::good:

HEY BALBOA I NOW WEE DONT SEE EYE TO EYE BUT ALL ROUND LURCHERS AT THE TOP OVE THERE GAME ARNT DAFT THEY THEMSELFS NO IF THEY CAN GET IT OR THEY CANT .

IT DOSENT TAKE US TO EGG THEM ON

REAL S/H AND DOUBLERS NO THE SCRIPT.

EXPERIENCED GUYS CAN TELL.

JACKERS ARE DIFFERENNT FROM DOGS THAT ARE SAVEY..ATB 3TS.

YUO SHOULD NO THIS A MAN OF YOUR YRS OF EXPIERIENCE.:thumbs:

Edited by 3 Turns

HEY BALBOA I NOW WEE DONT SEE EYE TO EYE BUT ALL ROUND LURCHERS AT THE TOP OVE THERE GAME ARNT DAFT THEY THEMSELFS NO IF THEY CAN GET IT OR THEY CANT .

you should learn how 2 talk and type ,ffs :blink:

you should learn how 2 talk and type ,ffs :blink:

Pot and kettle springs to mind :icon_eek: ........Rocky you should look at some of your posts before trying to put somebody else down for their grammer :whistling:

Spot on :thumbs: .

just because a dog runs its quarry flat out with massive prey drive and will to catch /kill doesnt mean it has to overshoot or run wide the best i have ever owned only had one gear flat out on anything but was one of the tightest turners and best pickup i have ever owned on a lurcher obviously when learning she overshot game but soon learned and finished up running quarry as titgh tas any running dog but always flat out in turbodrive no matter what she was running .