Same here really. Only in the last year my No 12 has had rust starting to come through. It gets cleaned and dried each time it's used. Also a small amount of oil added to the blade.

Would be nice to know.

Just wonderd if anybody could tell me the best way to clean a carbon steel blade opinal knife I use for preping rabbit as it's startin to get specks of rust on it . Thanks

grant

I use abit of wet and dry sand paper and just give it a rub up and down but be carefull you dont cut yourself

Just wonderd if anybody could tell me the best way to clean a carbon steel blade opinal knife I use for preping rabbit as it's startin to get specks of rust on it . Thanks

grant

I use abit of wet and dry sand paper and just give it a rub up and down but be carefull you dont cut yourself

thats what i would use, or a bit of emery cloth,sorts mine out a treat,

all the best,

jay. :thumbs:

hi all

carbon steel will darken in colour thats just what it does,the only way to keep most rust off the blade is to keep it oiled.

if you only use it once a week or so leave it some where to dry without to much moisture about like a cuboard shelf or something.

i use steel cutting tools in my work and even though there oiled and kept in a suitable storage place over the hols with no use rust spots appear.

good luck

matt

Okay this may sound stupid but I clean mine by rubbing ketchup on the blade and leaving it their for about half hour and then wipe clean and give it a good sharpen, I learnt this technique when cleaning my pressed penny collection when I was a kid and tried it on my 1st knife when I was in scouts, and now do it for all my knives and it works for me.

Joe

Okay this may sound stupid but I clean mine by rubbing ketchup on the blade and leaving it their for about half hour and then wipe clean and give it a good sharpen, I learnt this technique when cleaning my pressed penny collection when I was a kid and tried it on my 1st knife when I was in scouts, and now do it for all my knives and it works for me.

Joe

good tip that.ive seen what it does to an old penny