whats the laws on ferreitng old unused railway lines?

walking the dog out the day and came across a few sets getting well used and got good marks,he was away down the holes digging so can i ferret this? its am old railway line thats not been used for pure yrs! am going down there tomorra with the ferrets like but just wondered what the crack is with the law, whos owns the land? council? anyone have a clue?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

walking the dog out the day and came across a few sets getting well used and got good marks,he was away down the holes digging so can i ferret this? its am old railway line thats not been used for pure yrs! am going down there tomorra with the ferrets like but just wondered what the crack is with the law, whos owns the land? council? anyone have a clue?

All land is owned by someone if its old railway then its more than likely owned by the railway authority chances are the land will be contaminated and as for going on to private land then you take a chance of being done for trespass the choice is yours!!

As for getting permission I work on the railway and Ive tried with no luck due to the health and safety implications I even drew up a method statement along with a safety audit but the risk was deemed to great

aye thats the point like, theres normaly rabbits sitting out and never knew where the sets were, untill to day the dog sniffed out the way haha its like a secret little path!, theres only a cupple of sets 3/4 holers! woop wooop! al post some pics up tomorra of result! i also would like to know what this contaminated carry on is about? coz am not eating some crazy contaminated rabbits like, the ones that i seen sitting out look normal and healthy no mixie or out like that! :icon_eek:

Railways are notorious for rabbits, they have been a safe haven for so many years with people not being allowed on to ferret or shoot. I have and still do ferret on some railway bankings, on one of the estates I ferret they had troubble with the rabbits and contacted the railway authority and were asked if they could sort it themselves, ????? Not being one to argue we have a session every now and again but stay well clear of the lines and stand well back when a train approaches. We chat with the crossing guy and often get a wave from the train drivers, guess they dont give a monkeys either.

I am not advocating you doing it but if its not hurting anybody and you keep a low profile well take your chances.

yea like i said its unused and has been for like 50yrs or something, you may have seen it on the news a few yrs back people came and stole some miles of the track it was allover the news 13million pounds worth of iron stole!! so if they can get away with that iam sure one lado and hes ferret will go unnoticed! :tongue2:, theres allways lads down there with the running dogs and a few lads, go down with the harris halk they say theres never any trouble its good to go! :thumbs:

yea like i said its unused and has been for like 50yrs or something, you may have seen it on the news a few yrs back people came and stole some miles of the track it was allover the news 13million pounds worth of iron stole!! so if they can get away with that iam sure one lado and hes ferret will go unnoticed! :tongue2:, theres allways lads down there with the running dogs and a few lads, go down with the harris halk they say theres never any trouble its good to go! :thumbs:

So not only have you told the world when your going poaching, youve also basicaly told the world where!

Crack on fella

Didn't think that post through did you......... :icon_eek:

after being done twice for tresspassing on british rail property - i applied for and got a permit - i had to re aply every 18 months the strecth i had permission on was re opened by some steam railway buffs and i lost the permission ... this was a couple of years ago dont know what its like these days health n safetys gone mad ...

you dont get done with tresspassing in scotland because u can walk anywere. but they just do u for breech of the peace instead or damaging land.

I've been told that under Brititsh Law (In England & Wales) there is no legal definition of Trespass, Only of causing Criminal Damage.