Out for a mooch today

Hi everybody......Me and Ideation went for a little mooch today with my old bitch and his young whippet,the day started slow with not much about then we came up to a warren thats been quite productive in the past.Both dogs marked strongly on a few holes so we net up its about 40+ holes all quite tightly spaced together so not to much hassle and the covers died right back now after the recent bad weather.Collared the ferrets up and away they go......within minutes a rabbit hits the net closely followed by another and they keep bolting at regular intervals with the odd one slipping the nets :thumbdown: and either making it to safety or being picked off by the dogs.Then the ferrets show and we realise they've both not got their collars on :icon_eek: so a quick scan with the locater find one at 6 feet and the other at 8 feet :icon_eek: we retrieve the one at 6 feet and dig 6 feet to the other one to be met with a blanket of old fencing and some giant stones :icon_eek: very hard digging especially when only armed with a dessert spoon size draper shovel :whistling: well couldn't retrieve the one collar as didn't have any wire cutters so we'll go and get it back tomorrow.

Not a bad few hours really apart from the digging but thats the game I suppose if it was easy everybody would do it then,ended up with 13 rabbits :thumbs: Both dogs and ferrets did well........Special thanks to Jai's missus who though a little reluctant to jump on the rabbits at first after a few encouraging words was soon grabbing them like a seasoned ferreter :thumbs:

DSCF0003.jpg

DSCF0012.jpg

DSCF0006.jpg

A few more

S7300586.jpg

S7300585.jpg

S7300583.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A good day out. So who did all the dirty work? :whistling:

Nice one, dogs looking very well. Nicely placed out rabbits, how it should be.

;)

Thanks mate......this warren as been around since I've had dogs and runs deep and is full of all sorts of crap :icon_eek:

Jai did a little more than me but he is younger :tongue2: but we both got stuck in though :thumbs:

nice post that mate. my friend and I recently had the same issues with collars, i recetnyl put a post up in the ferreting section, and i was suprised about the amount of people that dont use any sort of collar at all! not even a bell! :o

Thanks mate :thumbs:

This warren is ancient and its had loads of stuff tipped on top of it over the years.......the collars came off on a load of old fencing 6/7 feet into the warren :icon_eek:

nice post that mate. my friend and I recently had the same issues with collars, i recetnyl put a post up in the ferreting section, and i was suprised about the amount of people that dont use any sort of collar at all! not even a bell! :o

Aye they should leave they collars doon there,they,re no worth a sook anyway :whistling:

Only joking lads,good stuff :thumbs:

Good post Johnnyboy!

He makes the digging sound easy mind. It was some odessy, i feel we did our mining heritage proud :laugh: the warren is basically a very large pile of rocks, some probably 80-100 kilos in weight, that has over the years been covered in ash, dirt, broken glass and all manner of metal shit. I found a set of car brake lights? The hole we dug was 6 foot deep but also about 4-5 foot by 3 foot, in order to maneuver the f*****g rocks. The spade head is only twice the size of my palm.

Any how, good laugh, spent 2 hours being the human mole :tongue2: and met some interesting folk, it was quite the social occasion, i think we had, 9 people, 6 dogs and a heavily armed ninja stop by during the day at various points to (mostly) have a little watch and a smoke and say a friendly hello.

A special mention goes to my misses who, inspired by johnnys gentle words leapt on her first bunny whilst we were fannying about :notworthy:

Good post Johnnyboy!

He makes the digging sound easy mind. It was some odessy, i feel we did our mining heritage proud :laugh: the warren is basically a very large pile of rocks, some probably 80-100 kilos in weight, that has over the years been covered in ash, dirt, broken glass and all manner of metal shit. I found a set of car brake lights? The hole we dug was 6 foot deep but also about 4-5 foot by 3 foot, in order to maneuver the f*****g rocks. The spade head is only twice the size of my palm.

Any how, good laugh, spent 2 hours being the human mole :tongue2: and met some interesting folk, it was quite the social occasion, i think we had, 9 people, 6 dogs and a heavily armed ninja stop by during the day at various points to (mostly) have a little watch and a smoke and say a friendly hello.

A special mention goes to my misses who, inspired by johnnys gentle words leapt on her first bunny whilst we were fannying about :notworthy:

Gentle words :laugh: :laugh: "feckin jump on it mun" hardly gentle but they did the trick.........forgot to mention your missus in the write up :icon_redface: :icon_redface: We'll make a ferreter out of her now mun.....she did well :notworthy:

Yes quite a varied assortment of charscters turned up.......it did turn into quite the social occasion at one point :laugh:

And the heavily armed ninja disappeared just like a ninja too :laugh: