Boxing day

Out early on the coldest morning we've had this winter with Josh off the site and his very good bitch ,Jet.Minus 12 in the truck !

We had a place in mind that has been good to us and careful backfilling has meant its still ok.I call it the 3/4 earth because the farmer has had to fence off a corner of a field because of the subteranian activity.Its one of his lambing fields too being close the farm so an effort is made to keep the place vermin free.We are able to pull right up beside it in the truck ,always a bonus .We wandered over the earth guessing as to what it held but the footprints left us in no doubt .Two or three entrances were very well run in and out .

Collared up the dog and in she flew .Not long before contact was made and i readied with the gun expecting a bolt at any second .Josh located the bitch in the centre of the earth and only .9 deep as expected,this place dosnt run any more than 1.2 at its deepest we've found. No baying only bumping as is this bitches style .She worries her fox ,winds it up propper then sits back to bay until dug to then holds again,a style many of you will be familiar with .The ground was like nothing we'd ever dug before and it took 20 minutes to get through to anything vaguely diggable .Frost on frost had frozen to a depth of over a foot .Chipping away we got under it and then it was a mere formality that the foxes life was over .Broke through to see charlie staring me ,not what id expected as Jet was hold of another .She was a bit further on by the sound of it .Two for the price of one hopefully.The fox disappeared and I blocked the hole with the spade.Josh dug a bit further on which took a time on his own but got there and the dogs back end was in view.Better.

She wasnt baying now and was fast hold so i drew her and the fox by her back legs,carefully twisting her to suit the hole.Charlie out and despatched .It then became clear that there was a side tunnel back a bit from the stop end and thats where Jet had hold of the fox we'd just despatched and pushed it up the tube a bit allowing the other fox by.A good sized vixen .

jjj.jpg

I blocked the nearest entrance with another spade and then let the dog back in .

Instead of going back down the tube to where charlie had got past ,she ran to where id blocked and letting her in she bayed immediately .

She pushed it back to where we now had the spade over the exposed dig tube and drawing it back i drew the second fox by its brush with the dog fast hold the business end .Despatched that too .A slighter version .

nn.jpg

Propper result ,propper terrier .

b7e23773.jpg