kenneled dogs in sub zero temps

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ive got the shed insulated with polystirene and hardboard, then put 2 bales of straw (still intact) down, then a couple of rugs and a quilt on top, this keeps him 18" off the floor. Mind you i've got a poodle x, with a realy thick coat, so he does'nt feel it so much. Have'nt seen him shiver once in the 14 months ive had him. Just give him extra food and a bit off meat dripping on top, and make sure he gets brushed down regular,helps keep a layer of warm air in his fur :thumbs:

i have a garage/workshop built onto the house so i made a dog room in it stud walled and insulated, got a raised 7'x 3'bed with heating underneath. Stainless steel food prep bench, pot sink with hot and cold water. all four dogs live in there and occasionally if our lass isnt speaking i get in with them :D

i have a garage/workshop built onto the house so i made a dog room in it stud walled and insulated, got a raised 7'x 3'bed with heating underneath. Stainless steel food prep bench, pot sink with hot and cold water. all four dogs live in there and occasionally if our lass isnt speaking i get in with them :D

sounds better than our house :thumbs:

Does it not cost u all a lot of money to keep all these heaters and lamps on all night?

ATB matt

good question?

mine are 2 (250 wt bulbs) very hot, they take the chill out of the kennel Brill. But i (dont) think you need them (on) in the day, as you are out with dogs, they play in the garden love the snow, and they come in for a couple of hours every night, before i put the lamps on :thumbs: . And as they are kennel dogs, you want them to get a good coat as they can.My colliex grey as brill coat, and my bullxgrey pup he is coat quite thick. There is no dout about it, dogs coats do handle the cold weather, a 100 times much better than hot weather :yes: . But regards the cost , i would leve them on 24/7 if they need it, but they dont i dont think.!! the money dont come in to it.?

as already said beds of the floor.shreded paper heat lamps.been droping the hatches from bed to runs to keep the heat in.the 3 lurchers love this but the greyhound wont settle keeps chewing the wood.so leaving it open and puting the coat on hur at night.made a good deap box for the ters.its a race to get into it in this weater :thumbs:

my self the wife and kids have moved out to the shed and gave the dogs and ferrits the house after reading this i would like to see some photos of all this

been done to death this thread just resantly, but heres a pic again,,

coursing71207004.jpg

my kennels are good enough for all year round just a normal raised kennel with plenty of bedding in a plastic bed inside i do close the hole up abit and give them warm water in there food and i brought the pup indoors because she was the runt and she had a sh¥t start in life so she in for now but wil be out in a month or two then she is living the dogs life it never does them any harm but at the mo gotta go out and smash the water a couple of times a day but if i did think it was a problem to the dogs i would put a heater in but i honestly dont think it is a problem

Mine are kept in a 9" hollow block shed with corrugated zink roof. Not the warmest of places in this weather but its draughproof. Each dog has a bed filled deep it straw and they are fine! dount make them soft with the heat lamps! my terriers only ever see the heat lamp where theres a litter of pups just born! or when theve had a hard day at the office!