Is the .17HMR more accurate than the .22LR?

Interesting thing I found about the HMR compared to the .22lr is shooting multiple rabbits, together, in day light. Shot 3 out of 4. I don't think they really heard the impacts of the HMR bullets, as they were ballistic tipped. Where as with the .22lr firing 40 grain of lead that barely deforms there is a very audible thud hitting the rabbit. That thud seems to scare others away, while with the HMR as they're being knocked over they still seem to be trying to work out where the actual rifle is firing from.

this is true john......

i took 5 rabbits out and they hadn't a clue where the shots where coming from......

the .17hmr is inherently more accurate.... the only down side is cost, but for the extended range you can take bunnies at i think its worth it...

Snap.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting thing I found about the HMR compared to the .22lr is shooting multiple rabbits, together, in day light. Shot 3 out of 4. I don't think they really heard the impacts of the HMR bullets, as they were ballistic tipped. Where as with the .22lr firing 40 grain of lead that barely deforms there is a very audible thud hitting the rabbit. That thud seems to scare others away, while with the HMR as they're being knocked over they still seem to be trying to work out where the actual rifle is firing from.

this is true john......

i took 5 rabbits out and they hadn't a clue where the shots where coming from......

the .17hmr is inherently more accurate.... the only down side is cost, but for the extended range you can take bunnies at i think its worth it...

Snap.

I've even stopped using a moderator on the HMR as it seems to make little difference to the spectators and helps maintain POI.

I noticed the POI shifting every time I cleaned the mod. I think it had more to do with how tight it was then screwed back on.

Took the mod off permanently and now often have rabbits run towards the gun, and I can't remember the last time I had to adjust the scope.

Rewarding caliber for sure.

Accuracy is surely down to the marksman not the gun!!

gonna have to disagree their bud, each gun is diffrent in its accuracy shure the nut on the but needs to ring the accuracy out of it. i had a parker hale 243 and it would only group 2inch with any one shooting it, i now use a cz.223 and get clover leaf groups. oh and yes 17hmr are slightly more consistent with accuracy than .22 you can on a still day thump rabbits and critters out to 200-250 that would be hard to do with a 22 for shure

The advantage's of the HMR is, it does not ricochet

what a crock of "BULLPOOP" Whilst i have to agree they dont pick UP as regarly as a .22 RF But trust me even after Head shooting Rabbit or Hare the odd one still RICOCHET "FACT"

Yes, the HMR does ricochet occasionally, but (since we're using farm animal terms :laugh: ) the degree to which the HMR ricochets isn't within an asses roar of the .22lr for bounciness.

Cant really say one is better than the other for me as my CZ452 22rf is very good and effective to about 80yards and at 50yards its clover leaf off the sticks,Then the 17Hmr Anschutz 1517 i have is deadly at 100yards off the bipod and i dont need to worry so much about the richo as the 22rf and i can easily shoot a 2p size group at this range. For me i like the 22 for the closer rabbits and when noise is a problem or around animals- buildings,and the 17hmr for the longer range crows/magpies and rabbits that are to hard for my other gun.

Completely agree, that ballistic tip tends to have a much quieter impact noise than the LR but as to the OP's original question. I don't think there is much difference worth worrying about in accuracy terms between the two (if they are both running well on their own choice of ammo) but if you want one bunny gun I'd have LR. I have both but the HMR is a bit of a luxury and I love it to bits but if I could only have one, it would be an LR. It will do everything the HMR will do but cheaper and quieter, the only difference being the range and getting within 60-80yards of a rabbit isn't that hard.

Completely agree, that ballistic tip tends to have a much quieter impact noise than the LR but as to the OP's original question. I don't think there is much difference worth worrying about in accuracy terms between the two (if they are both running well on their own choice of ammo) but if you want one bunny gun I'd have LR. I have both but the HMR is a bit of a luxury and I love it to bits but if I could only have one, it would be an LR. It will do everything the HMR will do but cheaper and quieter, the only difference being the range and getting within 60-80yards of a rabbit isn't that hard.

Spot on, my thoughts exactly!! :thumbs:

Accuracy is surely down to the marksman not the gun!!

If I were shooting rabbits a sub 100yds recon I would choose the 22 rimfire purely on bullet costs and noise!

Oh come off it :laugh:

The HMR is undeniably more accurate than the .22LR , I'm suprised theres even any discussion about this!!

It has almost 3x as much energy (245ft/lbs) to (95ft/lbs subs) and much higher velocity (2550fps) to (1000fps)

Its obvious that its gonna be more accurate lol :laugh: , but then the .22LR is much much quieter, whisper quiet :) and also the ammo is about 3x cheaper for the .22lr

In terms of pure accuracy, is the HMR more accurate than the .22LR? I've heard of people shooting one hole groups at 100 yards with the .17HMR, but a good grouping for the .22lr is considered half and inch at 50 yards. Most of my shooting at rabbits will be done sub 100 yards, but I want a rifle and caliber with clinical accuracy.

Cheers.

The HMR is what you want mate :thumbs:

Edited by elvolcan
  • 4 weeks later...

I Have both the .22lr and HMR in Anschutz... :toast:

The advantage's of the .22 is, it is cheaper price wise and up to 100yds accurate i use mine out to 100yds........and it is also very quiet to use... :thumbs:

The disadvantage's are, it can go right through rabbits and it can ricochet if it hits any thing hard like hard ground and stones that sort of thing.. :thumbdown:

The advantage's of the HMR is, I have found it very accurate at all distances even passed 100yds and it does not ricochet i have shot rabbits out to 180yds on more than one occasion i could not do that with the .22.. :thumbs:

The disadvantage's of the HMR is at the longer range's shots in a strong wind can be affected. And the cost of ammo is a lot more expensive than the .22.... :thumbdown:

Both have a place in my cabinet and both get used regularly i have had them now for over 6 years and put 1000's of round through them both... As i have a lot of farms to cover 99% of my shooting is from the motor...

The HMR at 100 yds you can cover the holes with a £1 coin

target007.jpg

spot on both have a place alltho the .17 can do everything a 22 can. a 22 cant do everything a 17 can.anschutz .17hmr all the way

the ultimate rabbit round is the 17mach 2 good out to 130yd plus, quieter than a 17hmr ammo is £5 for 50 rounds, i have had a 17hmr best thing i did was to get rid and get the mach2, in all honesty how many people are shooting rabbits at 150yards plus not many,i know it can be done but most will be within 100 yards i bet ,i still have a 22lr and l would not part with it

must admit i do like the hmr , messing around on a zero session at 120 yards the hmr was bang on the size of a £1 coin but i think the rimfire or .22 mag will do it for me as i like my windy nights and it doesnt take much to knock an hmr well out

we was been talking about the mach2 today and im yet to have a play with one but ive heard they are getting storming write ups and no crack like the hmr

Edited by chimp

hi all

i shoot a .22lr and to me this is the perfect rabbit calibre.....the .17hmr for me is a lot more accurate...

However how often do you need to shoot a rabbit at 100yrds?????? 80% of the time you are within 50yrds.

you will get a few that are needed to be shot at greater distance and thats when the .17hmr comes in i think.

100yrds for the .22 is a tad much for me..

atb

matt