Is the .17HMR more accurate than the .22LR?

In terms of pure accuracy, is the HMR more accurate than the .22LR? I've heard of people shooting one hole groups at 100 yards with the .17HMR, but a good grouping for the .22lr is considered half and inch at 50 yards. Most of my shooting at rabbits will be done sub 100 yards, but I want a rifle and caliber with clinical accuracy.

Cheers.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the hmr is easier to shoot as the bullet flys flat and not in an ark like a .22lr

the hmr is however afected by wind more than the .22lr

but overall i think hmr is harder hitting and more accurate than .22lr

my tupence worth !!

kirky

I use a friends CZ 452 .22 and I have my own CZ452 HMR. I would not say one is more accurate than the other, although as said above the .22 is not as straight shooting. As for wind- I was out lamping in the recent winds (60 mph gusts) and dropping rabbits at 100yds. The wind did not affect my shooting except for the fact I had to shoot from the bipod because it was impossible to stand steady.

I had a cz452 in .22 was very accurate rifle as long as i did my part i,ve changed to a cz 17hmr varmint and once again an excellent rifle i an get an inch group at 100m,s i couldn,t do that with my .22 but if all your shooting will be under 100 i,d say stay with the .22 because of noise levels and price of rounds just my honest opinion hope it helps

the hmr is easier to shoot as the bullet flys flat and not in an ark like a .22lr

my tupence worth !!

kirky

Perceived maybe, but it's actually better. Prehaps the increased distance we shoot over with the HMR gives the impression of a less slippery bc, but shoot both back to back at 100yds in a full value wind and you'll see the HMR actually bucks the wind better.

As for accuracy, 100 yards is a tricky distance, the HMR is definitely an easier and inherantly more accurate caliber at that range but at 60yards or less it can easily be matched and in most cases bettered by a decent .22lr.

If most of your likely targets will be between 20 and 70 yards, .22 for sure, if it's more a case of 50-100 yards the HMR would be my choice. The reality is there's a reasonable need for both.

Cheers.

my tupence worth !!

kirky

Perceived maybe, but it's actually better. Prehaps the increased distance we shoot over with the HMR gives the impression of a less slippery bc, but shoot both back to back at 100yds in a full value wind and you'll see the HMR actually bucks the wind better.

As for accuracy, 100 yards is a tricky distance, the HMR is definitely an easier and inherantly more accurate caliber at that range but at 60yards or less it can easily be matched and in most cases bettered by a decent .22lr.

If most of your likely targets will be between 20 and 70 yards, .22 for sure, if it's more a case of 50-100 yards the HMR would be my choice. The reality is there's a reasonable need for both.

Cheers.

not wanting to get into a slagging match about this but wind dose affect the .17hmr much more as ive been shooting one for many years and also read this on many sites etc wind is a factor with the nmr as the bullet is lighter !!!!

my tupence worth !!

kirky

Cheers.

not wanting to get into a slagging match about this but wind dose affect the .17hmr much more as ive been shooting one for many years and also read this on many sites etc wind is a factor with the nmr as the bullet is lighter !!!!

Defo not looking for the slagging match you mentioned, but for a start projectile weight has no bearing what so ever on bc.

In most cases a heavier projectile enjoys a better sectional density and bc because they're longer than a lighter one of the same caliber, but that is very much a by product. There are plenty of heavy asrsed bullets that don't like the wind.

I shoot both as well mate. In a 10mph wind my .22lr suffers nearly twice the delfection as the HMR, on an average 5 round group.

Either way, which ever caliber the OP decides on, he will be the deciding factor on accuracy.

Cheers mate.

I Have both the .22lr and HMR in Anschutz... :toast:

The advantage's of the .22 is, it is cheaper price wise and up to 100yds accurate i use mine out to 100yds........and it is also very quiet to use... :thumbs:

The disadvantage's are, it can go right through rabbits and it can ricochet if it hits any thing hard like hard ground and stones that sort of thing.. :thumbdown:

The advantage's of the HMR is, I have found it very accurate at all distances even passed 100yds and it does not ricochet i have shot rabbits out to 180yds on more than one occasion i could not do that with the .22.. :thumbs:

The disadvantage's of the HMR is at the longer range's shots in a strong wind can be affected. And the cost of ammo is a lot more expensive than the .22.... :thumbdown:

Both have a place in my cabinet and both get used regularly i have had them now for over 6 years and put 1000's of round through them both... As i have a lot of farms to cover 99% of my shooting is from the motor...

The HMR at 100 yds you can cover the holes with a £1 coin

target007.jpg

Edited by Hawkeye 1

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Most of my shooting will be done between 20-80 yards on a pasture with horses, so the .22lr is probally my best choice. I'm looking at the varmint style rifle with the heavy barrel and flat stock as the majority of my shooting will be done from prone off sticks.

I'll probs get a .22 centerfire for those longer range shots once I get some more land.

In terms of pure accuracy, is the HMR more accurate than the .22LR? I've heard of people shooting one hole groups at 100 yards with the .17HMR, but a good grouping for the .22lr is considered half and inch at 50 yards. Most of my shooting at rabbits will be done sub 100 yards, but I want a rifle and caliber with clinical accuracy.

Cheers.

i was told that .17hmr were very accurate in a gun shop in scotland and straight lined 100 yrds with no loss or gain in projectary?unless this was sales is sales pattern i dont know as i thought that as it picked speed up it would rise and slowing down it would lose velocity and drop,but he reckoned not for this was accurat in a line to 100 yrds

Cheers.

i was told that .17hmr were very accurate in a gun shop in scotland and straight lined 100 yrds with no loss or gain in projectary?unless this was sales is sales pattern i dont know as i thought that as it picked speed up it would rise and slowing down it would lose velocity and drop,but he reckoned not for this was accurat in a line to 100 yrds

true !! ive shot my hmr fpr around 4 years and it dose not drop noticebly over 100 yards ie you need no hold over

cheers kirky

ps hawkeye thanks very interesting read !!!

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Most of my shooting will be done between 20-80 yards on a pasture with horses, so the .22lr is probally my best choice. I'm looking at the varmint style rifle with the heavy barrel and flat stock as the majority of my shooting will be done from prone off sticks.

I'll probs get a .22 centerfire for those longer range shots once I get some more land.

Go for the CZ American / varmint its a superb rifle.

My mate has just got one in 17HMR 20" heavy barrel screwcut for £260 brand new!!!

Interesting thing I found about the HMR compared to the .22lr is shooting multiple rabbits, together, in day light. Shot 3 out of 4. I don't think they really heard the impacts of the HMR bullets, as they were ballistic tipped. Where as with the .22lr firing 40 grain of lead that barely deforms there is a very audible thud hitting the rabbit. That thud seems to scare others away, while with the HMR as they're being knocked over they still seem to be trying to work out where the actual rifle is firing from.