rabbiting dogs

I have just started taking my first dog(whippet) out with my ferret, how do you know its marking a hole? what sort of reactions does your dogs give?

(just so i can look out for my dog doing similar things)

Thanks

You will get used to your dog and know when they are marking and sodding about, this pic is of a jack russel in action.

Leg up in a pointing mode and stayed on that hole, it was a big set and sure enough a rabbit was lurking beneath.

post-26888-010626600 1288252480_thumb.jpg

Hope that helps you, all the best.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Are you saying your terrier is a better marker than your lurcher or are you saying that terrier are better for marking than lurcher's , because i for one would disagree as the best marking dog i have

have 2 agree with u there mate i have a whippet here and he has a better nose then any terrier.

goes to show you give your dog the life you get it back well done mate for spending the time and money on yours i would mine to

Posted Images

I have just started taking my first dog(whippet) out with my ferret, how do you know its marking a hole? what sort of reactions does your dogs give?

(just so i can look out for my dog doing similar things)

Thanks

Walk the dog over buries you've seen a rabbit go in and learn how your dog marks, most dogs have different ways of doing it. When he does mark bolt the rabbit for him and let him chase it so he's got a reward for marking.

My converted gun dog,took to rabbiting like a duck to water, just don't mention longnets LOL, second to none for marking but around 6 or 7 life saving operations has left him a bit mad in the head now sadly :(

here he is marking a few sets and he gets his reward.

IMG_0074.jpg

IMG_0075.jpg

IMG_0063.jpg

IMG_0078.jpg

Image008.jpg

Is it nearly home time now, i'm getting bored LOL

Image005-1.jpg

Image0032-1.jpg

My collie x pups first day out this morning. She worked hard at it for over 4 hours, rabbits were very thin on the ground. Mixy has hit "my fells". She has a decent enough mark and is quite a steady bitch for her age. I only got 6 to bolt, 4 coming home with me. :D Not bad considering the monkeys were also virgins.

189.jpg

My converted gun dog,took to rabbiting like a duck to water, just don't mention longnets LOL, second to none for marking but around 6 or 7 life saving operations has left him a bit mad in the head now sadly :(

here he is marking a few sets and he gets his reward.

IMG_0074.jpg

IMG_0075.jpg

IMG_0063.jpg

IMG_0078.jpg

Image008.jpg

Is it nearly home time now, i'm getting bored LOL

Image005-1.jpg

Image0032-1.jpg

goes to show you give your dog the life you get it back well done mate for spending the time and money on yours i would mine to

• Like 1

cheers mate, I have spent thousands and thousands on him as I had no insurance, even when the vets thought he wouldn't make it he pulled through, even when vets advised it was a very very high risk to do the last operations and they didn't want to do it I made them do it and rather than keep him overnight in vets I brought him home with drip and everything, sat up all night comforting him then back to vets the next day. then when drip removed brought him home to recover feeding him liquid food out of a syringe every 30 minutes. Many people have said to me maybe it would be best to just let him go but that thought never crossed my mind for a second. hopefully all sorted now though and no more trips to vets, he's my bestest mate ever :yes::thumbs: