starting with photography

I would get a canon 55/250 the one i got with my camera bundle was a tamron 75/300 & compared to the canon 55/250 its painfully slow

i have had some very nice pics with my basic 1000d & 55/250 ........

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just a quick word on this . . . . . there is enough info on lens etc for people to get what they need. I will add that regardless of what kit you use photography is about so much more!!!! Seeing, c

At the time I couldnt afford the lens I really wanted which was the Canon 100-400mm IS L, so I opted for the Sigma 120-400mm at less than half the price of the Canon but with excellent reviews. I was VERY happy with it, it performed really well, but did require good light to be at its best. I at last could afford the Canon I wanted, so I sold the Sigma, the difference is amazing. The canon knocks it into a cocked hat! Same aperture etc.. but so fast, quiet and lovely!!

livsept1resize.jpg

pwp1resize.jpg

pwp15resize.jpg

My advice, get the best you can afford.

stunning shots dawn, especially the otter ones... :) lovely creatures...

Snap

stunning shots dawn, especially the otter ones... :) lovely creatures...

Snap

This is a great site for in depth reviews on canon gear and third party lenses.. plenty of sample images too,

if you're not confused already.. you will be after sifting through this lot!.. :blink:

nice shots by the way Dawn.. :thumbs:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Canon-Lenses/

Thanks both. :)

The slow lenses that need alot of light are ok through summertime. And, yes, when theres a bit of sun you can get stunnning shots with cheap lenses. BUT in the coming six months as light levels drop the quality of lenses will become painfully apparent.

Problem being, we have all got to work to a budget, but it is better to get a second hand f2.8 than a new F5.6 :victory:

Personaly if your going to be buying an entry level camera - go for the 350d,

and use the money saved to buy a decent lens,

theres not much difference between the 350,1000d and 450d.

I have the 450d and wish id have just gone for the 350d

theres not a hell of a lot of difference between them, except price.

http://www.digital-photo-keyrings.co.uk/detail.asp?PID=4218

450d with canon 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6 II USM lens.

IMG_4578.JPG

IMG_5996.JPG

IMG_2956.JPG

IMG_1137.JPG

IMG_1221.JPG

You do need good light for the lens - but even in crap light - were its verry over cast, you can still get some decent shots.

IMG_3253.JPG

IMG_3114.JPG

IMG_3132.JPG

Out of the models you mention are they all the same the same frames per second .. i think my 1000d is is 3 ? but i agree a decent lens makes a hell of a difference .. the lens i use for the money i paid is excellent .. i do think your better going for canon or nikon lens rather than sigma or tamron unless there fast lens

They are virtualy the same - except price, thats the difference,

the 450d does have 3.5 frames per sec, but its not much.

Ive been looking to get the canon 28-300 L,

bit expencive, but im hoping for the price of it - it will repay tenfold.

i think that will be a good all round lens ... seems a sensible choice to me :thumbs:

I had a look at the 28-300L with a view to maybe only having to carry one lens around all day, but tbh I didn't feel the image quality was all that you'd expect from L glass. It may have just been a bad copy that I tried, but after speaking to several other people they agreed that for an L lens it wasn't quite as sharp as it should be at the extremes... A very versatile lens though, a bit on the heavy side, but not much more than the 70-200 2.8.

The 100-400L must be do for a re-vamp soon, might be one to consider? Although you'd still need another lens for the wider view...

I had a look at the 28-300L with a view to maybe only having to carry one lens around all day, but tbh I didn't feel the image quality was all that you'd expect from L glass. It may have just been a bad copy that I tried, but after speaking to several other people they agreed that for an L lens it wasn't quite as sharp as it should be at the extremes... A very versatile lens though, a bit on the heavy side, but not much more than the 70-200 2.8.

The 100-400L must be do for a re-vamp soon, might be one to consider? Although you'd still need another lens for the wider view...

th e28-300 seems far too much of a focal range for me to go near. In theory it sounds ideal, a one-lens-for-all, type of thing, but in reality, if they were any good we would all have them. I bought a sigma 50-500 with the same view. Frankly it was rubbish and i sold it.

It depends on what you require i guess, :thumbs: