starting with photography

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just a quick word on this . . . . . there is enough info on lens etc for people to get what they need. I will add that regardless of what kit you use photography is about so much more!!!! Seeing, c

Kind of an open field you ask, but wildlife pics need a good lens, and i even cannot afford it, lol

But if you look at kays deer pics or some shots of my own although totally differing, they are shot with a canon 1000d, its fairly easy to get to grips with,

and a good progression from the standard point and shoot.... Its just learning from then on.... get out and get to grips with the functions.. and try and stay away fomr the green square,

as it does everything for you and you will learn nothing... lol

ATB, i hope this helps you out.

Snap.

can any of you lads recommend a good 1st time camera for wildlife photography but double up to use on hols etc ,so easyish to use and good quality pics

cheers

bull

depends how much you want to spend... for wildlife photography you really need a DSLR, like the one Snap suggested. Most of the major manufacturers - Canon, Nikon, Pentax etc make a reasonably inexpensive model, and most have lots of features on them like HD video etc. The cheaper models are not as robust as the more expensive cameras though, so you need to treat them with a bit of respect!

You'll also need a longer lens than the kit lens they come with as it's usually a short zoom in the 18-55 range and this won't get you close enoough to the wildlife.

Best to check out a local camera shop and see which camera you feel happiest with :)

Dont believe everything you read! Its not always the lense that makes a good shot... Just occasionaly its the person behind the camera...

Put whoever you like behind the camera but if they haven't got the kit they can't deliver the goods when it comes to pro action shots... But it depends on your budget, expectations and what you want from your photography.

A good fast lens give you a better chance at getting the shot right. It's not so important if your camera fecks up the exposure or whatever, but if your pics aren't sharp there's not much you can do about it...

Nice shots btw John, What lens were you using?

Edited by MuttleMcTuttle

At the time I couldnt afford the lens I really wanted which was the Canon 100-400mm IS L, so I opted for the Sigma 120-400mm at less than half the price of the Canon but with excellent reviews. I was VERY happy with it, it performed really well, but did require good light to be at its best. I at last could afford the Canon I wanted, so I sold the Sigma, the difference is amazing. The canon knocks it into a cocked hat! Same aperture etc.. but so fast, quiet and lovely!!

livsept1resize.jpg

pwp1resize.jpg

pwp15resize.jpg

My advice, get the best you can afford.

Edited by Dawn B

Nikon and Canon are the two top makes. Canon 1000 is a nice piece of kit.

Which cannon series? I've had a look and there's a few about and gets confusing!

What is the best set up, and any links to these cannons please with prices?

Thanks.

Which cannon series? I've had a look and there's a few about and gets confusing!

Thanks.

The basic model is the Canon EOS 1000D it usually comes with a 18-55 lens, but you can often get it with this lens and a 75-300 lens, which is good value if you're just starting out and want a reasonably versatile set-up. The types of body go all the way up to the 1 series pro cameras.

camera shop

Lists all the Canons, if you check the links to the other manufactureres you can take your pick! Not the cheapest place to buy, but reliable and a good place to check out the specs etc :)

Dawn is right in that good glass is very important. However, good lenses are expensive, a worthy investment if you are really serious about photography, a luxury if you are not... I have the Canon 100-400L lens, but I must admit that I've been impressed with the results from a Sigma 150-500mm lens, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend that either. :thumbs:

Thanks.

The basic model is the Canon EOS 1000D it usually comes with a 18-55 lens, but you can often get it with this lens and a 75-300 lens, which is good value if you're just starting out and want a reasonably versatile set-up. The types of body go all the way up to the 1 series pro cameras.

camera shop

Lists all the Canons, if you check the links to the other manufactureres you can take your pick! Not the cheapest place to buy, but reliable and a good place to check out the specs etc :)

Dawn is right in that good glass is very important. However, good lenses are expensive, a worthy investment if you are really serious about photography, a luxury if you are not... I have the Canon 100-400L lens, but I must admit that I've been impressed with the results from a Sigma 150-500mm lens, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend that either. :thumbs:

Thank you MMT, I think this one seems the right one for my needs. I'll shop around for prices.

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-canon-eos-1000d-with-ef-s-18-55mm-dc-and-ef-75-300mm-iii-lens-kit/p1028309

Nice shots btw John, What lens were you using?

Its the cheapest 90-300mm lense you can buy, i think it was about 125 quid or something.

I am so skint i cant afford anything more expensive than that, BUT it has taken some reasonable shots for the money.

Obviously if your a pro photographer or have so much money that your embarresed about the size of the buldge in your pocket then go for the hideously expensive ones, but for someone starting out, i would have thought one of the cheapies would be a good way to get to grips with a slr!

IMG_3028resize.jpg