My 6 year old collie cross has never been too keen on hot air balloons, but only to the extent that he'll turn away from it and want to go in the opposite direction. Of late there have been an increased number of paraglider type things buzzing around making low level passes and generally f-ing about, much to my annoyance! Either way, my lurcher has become insanely terrified of these things now to the extent that whenever out in the day time he will constantly scan the sky for these things, trip over and run into things whilst he's checking the skys and generally be right windy about the whole situation. Once one has been spotted, he high tails it away as far as possible, squeezing through hedges, over gates, anything to get away. There is absolutely no consolling him with reassuring words or calming tactility.

I lost him for a short while tonight whilst walking up some marsh land for some snipe, found him later on halfway home.

This is a dog who rides the quad all day long experiencing all manner of machinery and situations, nothing fazes him usually, people always comment that it must be a hard life, as he's laid outstretched across the seat more offen than not.

Being a dog dog as opposed to a bitch, he is quite submissive and a right pussy to be honest at times, but this is just an uncontrolable fear which makes him physically tremble and not even I can snap him out of it which is mad frustrating. It seems to be getting worse and going for a daytime hunt is becoming pointless as this fear is the only thing on his mind and he wont hunt.

Any possible solutions or training techniques etc appreciated.

The sad thing is that an increasing fear like your dog is suffering from is very hard to get rid of. Dorwest Herbs do a good herbal calming remedy called Scullcap and Valerian: it doesn't dope them up like a tranquiliser, just helps calm them down. Rescue Remedy can also help: available from health food shops. A couple of drops in water every day is needed.

Some Collie types are really weird, and I had one which just got worse and worse the older she got. I never did manage to get her over her fear of fireworks though she was fine out shooting: very strange.

Sorry not to be more positive: with a young dog I might advise taking it to an airfield so it can see microlights etc taking off and landing: stay there all day and try to desensitise the dog, but I honestly don't know if it would work with an older dog whose fear has increased over the years. I guess anything's worth a try though. You would have to use the Scullcap and Valerian constantly for a week or so before going, and all the time you visited the air field, and keep on going as often as possible and as many times as possible.

I think you are going to have your work cut out, its not as if you can gradually get him used to them. I used to work a full collie bitch, she was always mad for work, but if she sensed thunder well that was it game over. There was nothing i could do to get her over this. On the other hand if my collie/greyhound sees or hears somebody in the park with a remote control aeroplane it does distracts her loads more than my other dogs, although she wants to chase it rather than run from it. Good luck.

Thanks people, makes my worst fears on the matter realised, although I guessed it would be the case. I may try the dopeing up, only if it gets much much worse though, thanks for the info Skycat.

You are all forgiven for finding it comical as I did for the first week of it! Getting old now, good companion dog becoming a burden to everyday life, not good.

wait for one to go overhead shoot it down see if she retrieves it,Just joking :whistling:

These things are a nuisance like low flying planes around here scare the crap out of the sheep not good particularly when they are in lamb. :censored:

We had a sheepdog bitch once who had the heart of a lion take up to hill ground working sheep about five mile away,army range nearby if they started firing she would run home,we kept her for around the home farm.

My 6 year old collie cross has never been too keen on hot air balloons, but only to the extent that he'll turn away from it and want to go in the opposite direction. Of late there have been an increased number of paraglider type things buzzing around making low level passes and generally f-ing about, much to my annoyance! Either way, my lurcher has become insanely terrified of these things now to the extent that whenever out in the day time he will constantly scan the sky for these things, trip over and run into things whilst he's checking the skys and generally be right windy about the whole situation. Once one has been spotted, he high tails it away as far as possible, squeezing through hedges, over gates, anything to get away. There is absolutely no consolling him with reassuring words or calming tactility.

I lost him for a short while tonight whilst walking up some marsh land for some snipe, found him later on halfway home.

This is a dog who rides the quad all day long experiencing all manner of machinery and situations, nothing fazes him usually, people always comment that it must be a hard life, as he's laid outstretched across the seat more offen than not.

Being a dog dog as opposed to a bitch, he is quite submissive and a right pussy to be honest at times, but this is just an uncontrolable fear which makes him physically tremble and not even I can snap him out of it which is mad frustrating. It seems to be getting worse and going for a daytime hunt is becoming pointless as this fear is the only thing on his mind and he wont hunt.

Any possible solutions or training techniques etc appreciated.

i would try to use the sight of one of those things to treat him, go out with him on the lead somewhere your expecting to see one

as soon as one comes into view, give him the most tasty thing you can get your hands on,

that way the negative becomes a positive,,it wont change overnight though, it'll take time,,

but you will get to a stage where his first reaction on seeing one is to look to you instead of looking for the road,,best of luck

I have been told that there are two ways of overcomung phobias

1. a gradual desensitising process

2. all out exposure to the phobia

My collie grey has almost overcome her fear of fireworks, after three years of shaking and hiding, just grew out of it.

I have always said that if i ever have a litter of pups then i will let of the occasional firework within earshot.

I would like nothing better than to knock one out of the sky, I'll have to research any laws on them flying too low. I've had run in's with balloons who have spooked the cattle and we've put the s**t up them by making them pay compensation for any damages to the herd, may have to try a similar tact with these paraglider feckers. Failing that, I'm sure the weather is set to deteriorate from now on so I may get some peace.

All good comments people, I'm taking it all in to decide on how I'll go about tackling the problem.

Some other things you could try.

Serene-um - http://www.vetscriptions.co.uk/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=1&Product_Code=SERENUMTAB30&Category_Code=

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/homeopet-dog-anxiety-relief-15ml-by-the-company-of-animals-26856

and not cheap, but know quite a few who do use it and it does help a lot,

http://www.zylkene.co.uk/whatiszylkene.asp

But like a lot of things what works for one dog dosent mean it will work for another,

one of mine is shit scared of cracking noise's, dosent help that we have a coal fire,

he has collie in him, ive tried a lot of things, the Scullcap and Valerian didnt even touch him

tried some other stuff from CSJ that did nothing, only thing that did work for him

was to ignore him when he kicked off, he still whines and jumps up when he hears the fire crack

but he's no longer jumping on to my knee or trying to escape out of the house, when he hears it.

I would try pointing the balloons out to the dog when they are very far away. The instant the the dog looks at one give it a treat. Stay as calm as possible and try to keep you voice happy and exited and repeat every time. If the dog starts to loose control or lose interest in the treats then it's time to back off as it's fear has probably taken over. My trainer would say that you are starting to crack the problem when the dog looks at a ballon and then looks at you expecting a treat. I would gradually let the ballons get closer. This is the technique my trainer used to help me with my dogs nervousness of people when on the street and it worked very well. Hope it makes sense.

i have a 3year old collie x spaniel thats scared of the hoover, her bed is right beside the hoover and ive even seen her lying with her head on it :s its only once its moving she doesnt even if it is turned off, if im hovvering away then stop with it still running she will happily come up to be mada a fuss of but as soon as it moves shes off behind the couch :hmm: weird if you ask me must just be a collie thing, ingram

I used to have a dog that was scared of the things I disliked. You mentioned you can't stand the paragliders, if this dog is particularly in tune with you perhaps it is fuelling his fear? Just a thought. Hope you manage to improve the situation.